Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #41
enuenu
Human being with feelings

Thanks, I will give it a go when I get home. I thought the virtual trigger pads on Virtuadrum could do the same thing, but it appears that these virtual pads have no use besides testing the sounds. In fact I can't see a purpose for the existence of the Virtuadrum GUI at all now. I just load the .wav files in the Virtuadrum directory into ReaSamplOmatic5000 and place the hits using the MIDI editor (I will also try to do this using the virtual keyboard as you suggested).
enuenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:18 AM   #42
Tedwood

I can't see the need for ReaSamplomatic in conjunction with virtuadrum.

Reasomplomatic only plays one sample at at a time I think. It might be more configurable for a single sample but Virtuadrum plays a whole kit which is configured on a single GUI. You would need eight instances of Rea_S to do pretty much the same as one instance of Virtuadrum.

Why make it any more complicated than it needs to be?

PS. here's another one I tried and liked http://www.bluenoise.no/mydrumset.html
Old 10-11-2008, 02:47 AM   #43
enuenu

Thanks to both of you. I think this thread has strayed from the original question so I will start new ones to ask further questions. Hope to hear from you again.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:34 AM   #44
gofer
-blänk-

I don't know about Virtuadrum, but it may be possible to record the pads by setting the track to Record: output (midi). If the plugin sends midi data, Reaper is able to receive them.

That said, I'd recommend to get hold of a midi keyboard or trigger pad, as you never get a good groove going with the mouse or the virtual keyboard. Both have inconsistent latencies, so you end up editing anyway.

The gui's pads are supposed to be a more or less convenient way to prelisten what you load on them. And an eyecatcher.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:20 PM   #45
enuenu

Thanks. I am getting an interface soon and will then connect an elctronic piano keyboard. I will then have to work out how to make this keyboard interact with the plugin. I take your point about the inconsistent latencies involved in using a mouse or your computer's keyboard to trigger hits. However I still wanted to do this so I can get the notes close to where my ear wants them, then nudge them around in the MIDI editor.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #46
enuenu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedwood View Post
I can't see the need for ReaSamplomatic in conjunction with virtuadrum.

Reasomplomatic only plays one sample at at a time I think. It might be more configurable for a single sample but Virtuadrum plays a whole kit which is configured on a single GUI. You would need eight instances of Rea_S to do pretty much the same as one instance of Virtuadrum.

Why make it any more complicated than it needs to be?
The only reason I used ReaSamplOmatic was that when I choose "Insert new track from template" > "Readrums" I get a window titled - FX Chain: Track 2 "Readrums" - and ReSamplOmatic is in this window. So I thought Readrums was designed to be used in conjunction with ReaSamplOmatic. Maybe VirtuaDrum is a completely different type of animal to ReaDrums?
Old 10-12-2008, 01:30 AM   #47
Tedwood

What is confusing, (confused me too) is that Readrums is not an instrument at all, it is just a track template, like you can make for yourself.

Look closely at the FX window now and it should all become clear: There are eight instances of Reasamplomatic in the FX chain, and that is what Readrums is - an FX chain on a track, saved as a template - Nothing more than that.

It might help to use the pianola analogy.

Your input device is the thing that makes the holes in the paper, could be your mouse keyboard etc. The instrument plays the notes when it gets them. It's not normal for the thing that plays the notes to also be the thing that makes the holes, the pads on the instrument are like the keys on a pianola; they still play, but they don't make holes. That's because they are too far along the chain of events - ie. near the end (and not at the beginning)

If you are experiencing latency I would try inputting direct into the midi editor, as you are going to have to use it anyway it will be be very good practice; in other words make some holes in paper. Nearly everyone has to this to do this to some extent.

Set your tempo, put a kick on the first beat of the bar and loop the item to repeat then experiment, maybe a hihat on each eighth or quarter note and add another kick and snare. when you have one loop you like make another one a bit different, you can glue them together if you like.

There are other ways, but this is the easiest way I know and that's how a lot of us got into making beats first

Last edited by Tedwood; 10-12-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Tedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:10 AM   #48
enuenu

Fantastic analogy, I am looking for ways to make the holes in the pianola paper. I thought I could do this via the virtual instrument itself (e.g. by clicking on a virtual pad), but it seems this is not the case. Being able to "make the holes" with a virtual instrument in real time (while listening to tracks you have already recorded) would be a great way to rough out a beat or melody, placing the holes close to where you want them.

If this was possible the next step I saw would be to then go and look at where you punched your holes and tidy their positioning up, removing variations between bars and nudging stuff slightly here and there to get the beat or melody just right. This would be a very efficient way to create music using nothing but virtual instruments.

Can I "punch holes" with a connected (via audio interface) MIDI capable piano keyboard? I have worked how to "punch holes" in the MIDI editor. You punch them and then listen to the result. Being able to "punch holes" in real time would be a useful creative tool.

Your explanantion of ReaDrums was also very helpful. It sems that ReDrums actually has nothing to do with drum sounds or drum kits, but can be used to make drum beats. I am on a really steep part of the learning curve but finding it quite exciting.

I am about to do some more experimenting based on your extremely helpful posts.

Last edited by enuenu; 10-12-2008 at 04:21 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:56 AM   #49
enuenu

I have progessed a little buy still need some help. I have continued this discussion here as it is a more appropriately titled thread and I should get the discussion more organized I think.