Old 01-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
mj23
Human being with feelings

Default Digi 003 Rack not connecting

I'm switching from Pro Tools 8 with a Digi 003 Rack over to using REAPER, IF I can get it hooked up. I found the ASIO driver on the Avid site (ver 8.03) and installed them. My pc sees them, but REAPER is not connecting. I'm running Windows XP. Any help would be appreciated!
mj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
Steve36

Hey mj23...I use a 003 rack with reaper as well (both xp and win7 (x64) and it works great.Do you see a digi\avid Asio driver at all in your list of Asio drivers? (under 'Options\Preferences\Audio\Device)...I am using 003 driver version 8.04...should be fine with 8.03 though...have you had the 003 running with Pro Tools on the same computer?

Steve
Steve36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:26 AM   #3
mj23

Steve - Yes, I can see 3 options: "ASIO Digidesign Driver", "ASIO Digidesign Driver FW003", and "Digidesign Eleven Rack ASIO", in the dropdown. I'm assuming the FW003 is correct since that is the firewire connection. Do I need to somehow delete the rest first?

I was running Pro Tools on this PC before this, and had encountered connection problems with that too, so maybe it's my setup.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Steve36

You don't need to delete any of the drivers...simply select the one you want (I'm pretty sure it's FW003...not got it running at the moment) and then the input-output range.If you've had connection problems with that computer before you may have some other issues...I've generally found the 003rack to work better with reaper than pro tools.One thing you need to know about is that when you change the sample-rate (same place as before under 'Asio configuration') you won't be able to close the window...just save your session and restart reaper and it will be good to go.
Let me know if this helps or not...

Steve
Old 01-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Kainer

I experience the same behavior every time I set my clock to ADAT in reaper (Digi003 and RME clock, windows 7). I work with reaper and pro tools and I would say this is a bug in reaper.
Not being able to close the window and being forced to do a new start is weird. I would like to get a message like: 'please restart reaper' at that point.

http://kainerweissmann.de
Kainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
mj23

@Steve - When I go to the dropdown for input and output, nothing shows up. I tried installing the asio4all drivers, but they show "not connected" in the input output dropdowns. I'm wondering if my old Pro Tools and Digidesign files are causing conflicts. I'll try moving those from the C drive and run a fresh install of Reaper. I'll check in later this evening when I'm at that computer.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
mj23

Update: I tried moving all pro tools related files to a backup drive and reinstalled the ASIO drivers and reinstalled REAPER. Still the same issue - when I go to the input and output parameters, there is nothing there. When I try using the ASIO4all driver, it says "Not Connected". My computer devices for sound show the Digidesign 003 rack as active. So the computer sees the device and shows it as ready, but the software doesn't. Must be something simple I'm missing, but I'm lost.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:36 AM   #8
Steve36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainer View Post
I experience the same behavior every time I set my clock to ADAT in reaper (Digi003 and RME clock, windows 7). I work with reaper and pro tools and I would say this is a bug in reaper.
Not being able to close the window and being forced to do a new start is weird. I would like to get a message like: 'please restart reaper' at that point.
I've only ever heard of this problem with the 003\002...I would be more inclined to think the problem lies with Avid not updating their drivers in nearly a year.A message would be helpful though...

Steve
Old 01-25-2012, 02:09 AM   #9
Steve36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj23 View Post
@Steve - When I go to the dropdown for input and output, nothing shows up. I tried installing the asio4all drivers, but they show "not connected" in the input output dropdowns. I'm wondering if my old Pro Tools and Digidesign files are causing conflicts. I'll try moving those from the C drive and run a fresh install of Reaper. I'll check in later this evening when I'm at that computer.
Do you get the FW003 driver in the Asio driver list...? If so this is the one you want.Make sure 'enable inputs' is ticked then select the inputs and outputs from the respective drop-down menus.If not, does the 003 appear in your windows 'device manager' list (Start\control panel\system\device manager\sound,video,game controllers)...? Can you check to see if it works with protools...? Reaper and protools should co-exist with no problems...If you can get it working with 'tools,or not,at least it will narrow the problem down a little.It could be a hardware issue (ie: firewire cable) or a windows issue (windows 'sounds',firewire drivers,etc...)Sorry it's causing you so much grief.Hopefully we can help you narrow it down.

Steve
Old 01-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #10
mj23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve36 View Post
Do you get the FW003 driver in the Asio driver list...? If so this is the one you want.Make sure 'enable inputs' is ticked then select the inputs and outputs from the respective drop-down menus.If not, does the 003 appear in your windows 'device manager' list (Start\control panel\system\device manager\sound,video,game controllers)...? Can you check to see if it works with protools...? Reaper and protools should co-exist with no problems...If you can get it working with 'tools,or not,at least it will narrow the problem down a little.It could be a hardware issue (ie: firewire cable) or a windows issue (windows 'sounds',firewire drivers,etc...)Sorry it's causing you so much grief.Hopefully we can help you narrow it down.

Steve
So far nothing has shown up in the input or output dropdowns and I have had the "enable inputs" checked when doing this. The digi does show up in the computer device list. I think the next thing to check is the hardware and windows drivers. I think if the cable were bad, it would never load into the device list, so I'll start with the firewire drivers. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the input!

Update 1/26/12 12:00pm:
Nothing working yet. I'm now attempting to reload the drivers. I think this comes down to drivers that don't work for my hardware, or somehow the drivers are in the wrong location or loaded incorrectly....???
I still have an old DIGI 001 unit too, but don't know where to get drivers for that. I'm getting desperate!

Last edited by mj23; 01-26-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: update
Old 01-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #11
Steve36

Have you checked that the 003 is working with with protools yet...? Do you have xp pro or home...? Have a look at the protools le compatibility grid here (I know you've had it running on the same system before but you mentioned that you'd encountered 'connection problems'... this may give you some clues)...here's the link...http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=353241 I hope you have some luck soon

Steve
Old 01-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #12
mj23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve36 View Post
Have you checked that the 003 is working with with protools yet...? Do you have xp pro or home...? Have a look at the protools le compatibility grid here (I know you've had it running on the same system before but you mentioned that you'd encountered 'connection problems'... this may give you some clues)...here's the link...http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=353241 I hope you have some luck soon

Steve
I had uninstalled all of Pro Tools in order to see if that would eliminate any potential conflict. I may have to try going back to that as a last ditch effort. I'm running XP Pro and PT ran ok for a while, though it's always been a crapshoot every time I reboot. I'll keep trying things. I'm still thinking it's the drivers, but maybe it's something more hidden. I hate to give up since it's a nice computer.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #13
mj23

Default It's working! .....for now...

I found a thread where someone was commenting how they got some other software working with digi 003 rack by downloading the pro tools version 9 updates, even though they didn't have that version and don't use PT. I tried that and after a couple reboots, got Reaper to see my digi 003 rack. I have since done a few reboots to make sure I could reconnect and it sometimes does. One key is not to power on the digi rack until the computer is fully booted. Then to make sure that the device is seen and is working before starting up Reaper. I did purchase Reaper now, so hopefully it will get me through the next month or so (song writing challenge month - www.fawm.org). I'll keep you posted on any discoveries if I have any. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #14
mj23

Default more info

I find that if the connection from Digi 003 to Reaper is lost, I have to install the 003 rack update pt9 which includes version v9.0.2.65. Then restart the pc and when the windows hardware plug and play screen comes up to install, go ahead with that install. This is contrary to most pro tools advice, but it works.

Now I'm on to figuring out a good drum plug in to use....
Old 01-31-2012, 08:03 AM   #15
Steve36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj23 View Post
I find that if the connection from Digi 003 to Reaper is lost, I have to install the 003 rack update pt9 which includes version v9.0.2.65. Then restart the pc and when the windows hardware plug and play screen comes up to install, go ahead with that install. This is contrary to most pro tools advice, but it works.

Now I'm on to figuring out a good drum plug in to use....
Nice to hear you've got it working.