Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 05-07-2018, 07:48 AM   #1
deeb
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI editor: Allow note edits to extend looped items or appear on other side

while we are on midi items, i think it's worth mention that current behaviour is working as a limitation rather then being a benefit (as far i can see).

The thing is: while we are in midi editor, we can+t move notes (or tails) when they reach the frontiers. (loop item or not). Reaper IMO should let us move and do the necessary adjustments to the midi clip: if item is looped those notes should start appearing on the left side, if not loop maybe it should consider it as an instruction to increase the length of the item (not necessarily increase the visible length in the project)

Last edited by juliansader; 05-07-2018 at 09:46 AM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:55 AM   #2
EvilDragon

There IS an option to extend the MIDI item during note edit, however it will not change loop length, which makes sense to me.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:59 AM   #3
MikComposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
while we are on midi items, i think it's worth mention that current behaviour is working as a limitation rather then being a benefit (as far i can see).

The thing is: while we are in midi editor, we can+t move notes (or tails) when they reach the frontiers. (loop item or not). Reaper IMO should let us move and do the necessary adjustments to the midi clip: if item is looped those notes should start appearing on the left side, if not loop maybe it should consider it as an instruction to increase the length of the item (not necessarily increase the visible length in the project)

Regardless weather item is looped or not, we should just be able to place it anywhere across the timeline, and if note is outside boundary it shouldn't be played, and if still inside, with tail outside, it should keep it for it's length. Also if note starts outside but has tail inside item, it should pay this one from the beginning of the item only.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:12 AM   #4
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
There IS an option to extend the MIDI item during note edit, however it will not change loop length, which makes sense to me.
Thanks! I didn't know about that option! do you mean: Allow midi notes to extend midi item? because this option does change loop length visible in project which is not very desired (looped or not)

Old 05-07-2018, 09:05 AM   #5
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
Regardless weather item is looped or not, we should just be able to place it anywhere across the timeline, and if note is outside boundary it shouldn't be played, and if still inside, with tail outside, it should keep it for it's length.
this is my expectation, and where i feel reaper limits ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
Also if note starts outside but has tail inside item, it should pay this one from the beginning of the item only.
this is very useful too and coherent (cant see a no!) , just like it happens when we off set midi items (notes) in the project.

Last edited by deeb; 05-07-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:56 AM   #6
MikComposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
this is my expectation, and where i feel reaper limits ..

this is very useful too and coherent (cant see a no!) , just like it happens when we off set midi items (notes) in the project.
Reaper midi is painful. Don't know if recent improvements will make it that much better, and if the basics like this one were thought off, but otherwise, the editor will not be much better, but definitely a step in good direction.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:04 AM   #7
EvilDragon

Recent changes are all regarding zoom/scroll improvements when activating MIDI items for editing, and cases where arrange item selection is linked to visibility and/or editability of MIDI items. Especially useful in one MIDI editor per project mode (doubly so if one is working with dual monitors, with one monitor dedicated to MIDI editor, and arrange on the other).
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:13 AM   #8
MikComposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Recent changes are all regarding zoom/scroll improvements when activating MIDI items for editing, and cases where arrange item selection is linked to visibility and/or editability of MIDI items. Especially useful in one MIDI editor per project mode (doubly so if one is working with dual monitors, with one monitor dedicated to MIDI editor, and arrange on the other).
Cool. I always use single editor mode.