Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2019, 09:27 AM   #1
beingmf
Human being with feelings

Default REQ: Vinyl Cutting Helper script

I think this should be doable (but let me know if not):
The basic idea is to make the script calculate and output the physical length (in cm) of one vinyl record side using the actual audio for the input.

Why? When cutting a lacquer, 3 parameters will determine the width and thus the distance of the grooves: level, LF content and stereo width (=level of the side channel). The louder the source and the more bass, the wider the grooves.
Usually the basic fwd feed speed is set manually, with more detailed realtime corrections by the lathe itself on top. Now here's the "but": complex, thus unpredictable, source material might make you cut the disc too long (speed too fast, the final groove is cut off) or too low in level (speed too slow, much space left at the end of the side). Of course you'll want to use all the space while maintaining a competitive level.

The script should analyze all the audio material within a region (say "side A") and calculate, using a given fixed formula and the abovementioned parameters (RMS, LF, S), the physical length needed for cutting that side. A "normalize" function should boost or attenuate the region's volume so the "maximum groove space" criteria is met.

Is anyone up for that? This would be absolutely amazing <3

[There's another idea for controlling the feed forward motor by using the analyzed data via MIDI or OSC, but that's - maybe - a different tool]

Last edited by beingmf; 06-06-2019 at 02:42 AM.
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote