Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 05-03-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
Tallisman
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper 088 May 5 preview build quirks

Please List you bugs and quirks here. If they get fixed, please edit your original post to reflect that,
or PM me and I'll edit the post to mark it fixed/done.

grain of salt = my Mac is a PC running Leo4All vanilla kernal 9.9.2 weeeee

**Edit: Done. Fixed!! quirk 1: Deleting a track from the TCP also hides the mixer. The mixer can easily be brought back by the default KC, but it is quirky nonetheless.
watch:
http://screencast.com/t/bvw4b5xI

I'll add more to this as I find them.

many greetings
.tallis

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"

Last edited by Tallisman; 05-13-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Cool got it, thanks

-Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
GIlJanus

Here's another bug in 0.86 -

The Mixer

If you set the attribute "Set master controls on the right", it will move the Master track and when you save the project and reopen it later, the attribute will still be selected, but the Master track will still be shown on the left. If however you change the pan control position, it will place the Master track to the right.

This was present in previous builds also.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #4
GIlJanus

0.86 build bug:

In the Reaper/Contents/info.plist file you have

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>0.65 PREVIEW VERSION</string>

This should have the current build number in it. Minor bug, but this is the version number that will appear in crash reports. It should reflect what the user see's in the Reaper Title bar on the main window.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #5
Tallisman

Default reaper 086 Fixed 087

**Edit: Done. Fixed!! Quirk #2:
Cannot load or save Key Commands. I realize that this could be just not yet built in. But I was trying to load the file I exported from the windows side.

I have another screen cast coming...

.t

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"

Last edited by Tallisman; 05-04-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #6
The Spark

I was trying to export and consolidate some files and I think I found a bug in the latest build:

When I set the output folder on the Export/Consolidate dialog to the desktop, Reaper puts the files in the original folder they were recorded to, not to the desktop.
The Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:01 PM   #7
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
Quirk #2:
Cannot load or save Key Commands. I realize that this could be just not yet built in. But I was trying to load the file I exported from the windows side.

I have another screen cast coming...

.t
I'll take a look at importing a Windows keyfile.. I only tested load/save directly

-Justin
Old 05-03-2008, 10:01 PM   #8
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIlJanus View Post
Here's another bug in 0.86 -

The Mixer

If you set the attribute "Set master controls on the right", it will move the Master track and when you save the project and reopen it later, the attribute will still be selected, but the Master track will still be shown on the left. If however you change the pan control position, it will place the Master track to the right.

This was present in previous builds also.
Got it, fixing
Old 05-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #9
mahasandi

man love this build great work!

fantastic !

i think this was mentioned but in .86 you can't select the hardware outputs in the i/o page, only from the drop down menu.....

no crashes or dropouts with 30+ tracks
mahasandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:13 PM   #10
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahasandi View Post

i think this was mentioned but in .86 you can't select the hardware outputs in the i/o page, only from the drop down menu.....
Got it, fixing for next rev
Old 05-03-2008, 11:22 PM   #11
Tallisman

it was dmg 085 that wouldn't let me save and load...
it is working in 086... and I just navigated to my current windows keyset and it seems to have worked!

.t

*edit: some keys are not working... but I think that is simply the differences between how XP and Leopard see the keyboard.

Last edited by Tallisman; 05-03-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:26 PM   #12
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
*edit: some keys are not working... but I think that is simply the differences between how XP and Leopard see the keyboard.

Yeah not everything can map perfectly (yet).. also there seem to be some stupid limitations on OS X keyboard stuff--i.e. numpad 0-9 seem to send the exact same codes as normal 0-9...

-Justin
Old 05-03-2008, 11:41 PM   #13
Tallisman

Default Reaper 088 VSTi Plugin GUI behaviour Quirk

Persists in Reaper 088 I have tried several times to make a meaningful screen capture of this quirk:

I am testing using Stylus RMX by spectrosonics (a goto plugin for me). It is big, and has many parameters and edit pages... I think this is why it is particularly finicky.

What is in this screencast:
I invoke RMX from the FX slot on the mixer... it opens the floated version of the gui. Notice that only 1/2 of the gui is visible, and none of the GUI is responsive to clicks... I send it to the dock... the bring it back up... and voila it is now responsive, but still only 1/2 of th gui is displaying.

In order to work with elements on the top half of the gui, I have to resize the whole thing. Weird. See this here: the action shot: http://screencast.com/t/apvoQeWRx

Anyone else able to test Stylus and confirm/deny?

Now in the earlier attempts to document this i would bring up the gui by clicking the [FX] button... At this point, minimizing the Plugin Gui to the dock had no effect. If I clicked the UI button, to toggle between the generic and factory GUI, I could regain responsiveness... but Reaper would stop responding for about 15 minutes! Sequentially pinning the cores at 123% like this:

Also, and this is probably known, while I can drag midi from RMX to the mac desktop, I cannot drag midi from RMX to the Arrange window.

Right on!

.t

Last edited by Tallisman; 05-06-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:59 PM   #14
Justin
Administrator

Tallis,

I don't have RMX so I can't test with it...

But I should mention that drag&drop from the finder (or other apps) to REAPER's arrange area is still needing to be done.. thanks for pointing that out (it wasnt on my list even haha)

-Justin
Old 05-04-2008, 02:27 AM   #15
Tallisman

Default fixed in 087!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Yeah not everything can map perfectly (yet).. also there seem to be some stupid limitations on OS X keyboard stuff--i.e. numpad 0-9 seem to send the exact same codes as normal 0-9...

-Justin
oddly, num-pad * shows up here as a lower case j in the macro builder! - probably a hackintosh thang
**edit: Fixed Reaper088!

[/m(H)ackintosh journal]
I broke my mac osx 2 hours ago trying to install NTFS support.
Not sure what I did wrong... but I couldn't fix it.
Tried all types of solutions all t no avail.
...10 minutes until the fresh install is ready

[m(H)ackintosh journal]

.t

Last edited by Tallisman; 05-06-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:57 AM   #16
mrelwood

Default Here's my buglist for ReapMac 0.86.

-Sends don't get added from the Routing window (throught "io"-button), only from clicking the "io" with right click.
(I think they used to at 0.72?)
***FIXED For 0.87!***

-Envelopes don't get added from the "trm" button. Shortcuts V (volume) and P (pan) do work though.
(I think they used to at 0.72?)
***FIXED For 0.87!***

-JS plugins unusable! JS root path is not recognized by default, and can't be auto detected. Even a manual add won't find the plugins.
***FIXED For 0.87!***

-No fade icon when adjusting a clip, not sure when will it adjust fade and when the end position.
***FIXED For 0.87!***

-Plugins do not appear in the favourites-folders when added thru right-click. The favourites folders can't be removed, the option is grayed out.
***Adding FIXED For 0.87!***

-The preferences' property page won't change if scrolled by arrow buttons.

--c and -v won't work on text fields, copy and paste must be located from the right click menu.

-"Create new directory for project" is missing from the save project dialogue. I love that feature. Also, copy media and others familiar from the WinReap would be most wellcome.

-VST plugins' path could have a default:
/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST
***FIXED For 0.87!***

MOUSE:

-When resizing or organizing channels, mouse dragging works in opposite direction: If moving a channel or events to the bottom, I have to hold the mouse at the top.
***FIXED For 0.87!***

-When doing precise adjustments on any controller (-drag a fx, vol, ...), the value goes one more when the mouse button is released. In order to make the channel volume stay at -10.0, one has to let go at -10.2. Same from the opposite direction.
***FIXED For 0.87!***

-Also, when changing direction when adjusting, the value still goes a few times to the original direction.

-When scrolling the view with alt-wheel, the speed is about 5 times faster when going forward than going backward.

-When zooming the tracks with alt--wheel, the wheel must be scrolled really fast in order to get any zooming in. Zooming out seems to work normally.

***EDIT:
This post got quickly rendered with a lousy bitrate by the ReapMac 0.87, so many things are now fixed!

Last edited by Tallisman; 05-06-2008 at 12:03 PM. Reason: fixes bolded
mrelwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:19 AM   #17
fergal

Quote:

-Justin
OK... just to confirm, this shouldn't be universal with OS X - there are programs out there that utilise the numpad 0-9 keys differently to the normal 0-9 keys. Now, I don't know whether it was a hack for them to get it to work, but ProTools on mac uses the numpad for marker selection, and the main keyboard for tool selection.

-Fergal
fergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #18
Manganeech

Default CPU load

I just downloaded Reaper for the first time. I'm running a 1.67 g4 Powerbook with 10.4.11 osx. The program starts up and looks beautiful! However, I loaded the demo song and found that it ate my cpu for lunch. Viewing the reaper activity meter showed 69% average/86% peak during playback with progressivly more dropouts as the song went on. I would have just chalked it up to my older computer not being up to the task BUT the meter showed well over 50% even when the song was stopped. No other programs were running and audio was stopped, just the demo song loaded at idle = 52%-58%. Is this pre-release codemuck or do I need to have a much more powerful mac to run Reaper? Thanks, Shawnee

P.S. I have no problem running plenty of tracks of ProToolsLE and Live on this rig. I am looking at the possibility of dumping PT in favor of Reaper so I can use other interface options.
Manganeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:37 AM   #19
jm duchenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahasandi
Got it, fixing for next rev
... and when adding New hardware output on Master nothing happends.

also :
- FX and plugins windows don't stay on top ???
- VST made floating have no GUI at all
- QuikQuak RaySpace shows only some elements of the GUI when the auto resize up/down options are checked, and when changing presets part of its GUI is not updated.

This version is going to be very nice !
jm duchenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #20
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergal View Post
OK... just to confirm, this shouldn't be universal with OS X - there are programs out there that utilise the numpad 0-9 keys differently to the normal 0-9 keys. Now, I don't know whether it was a hack for them to get it to work, but ProTools on mac uses the numpad for marker selection, and the main keyboard for tool selection.

-Fergal

I'll try this with a real USB keyboard, too.. I've been using synergy, so perhaps that is the reason for the difference..

-Justin
Old 05-04-2008, 12:27 PM   #21
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manganeech View Post
I just downloaded Reaper for the first time. I'm running a 1.67 g4 Powerbook with 10.4.11 osx. The program starts up and looks beautiful! However, I loaded the demo song and found that it ate my cpu for lunch. Viewing the reaper activity meter showed 69% average/86% peak during playback with progressivly more dropouts as the song went on. I would have just chalked it up to my older computer not being up to the task BUT the meter showed well over 50% even when the song was stopped. No other programs were running and audio was stopped, just the demo song loaded at idle = 52%-58%. Is this pre-release codemuck or do I need to have a much more powerful mac to run Reaper? Thanks, Shawnee

P.S. I have no problem running plenty of tracks of ProToolsLE and Live on this rig. I am looking at the possibility of dumping PT in favor of Reaper so I can use other interface options.
The demo project has a bunch of OGG files, which seem quite slow to decode on PPCs...

But in general yes the performance isn't fantastic on PPC, anyway..

BTW (everybody) I think I'll have the keyboard supporting numpad better on the next rev..

-Justn
Old 05-04-2008, 11:05 PM   #22
Tallisman

**edit: Fixed Reaper088! Midi Editor Quirk:

It seems that the midi editor in Reaper087 does not have a scrolling playback cursor.

Nice though, the offscreen note indication!

.t

Last edited by Tallisman; 05-06-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:20 PM   #23
Justin
Administrator

Yeah none of em have had a midi editor playback cursor.. theres a whole class of things like that and "resize indicators" that I need to implement.

The main playback cursor is inadequate, too

-Justin
Old 05-05-2008, 12:06 AM   #24
Tallisman

I like the main playback cursor... if it were possible to make it a different colour, I'd love it.

.t

Last edited by Tallisman; 05-06-2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:18 PM   #25
Ben Srokosz

Default 88 is working great!!

Quirks aside, I just wanted to say I tested Reaper today with an old song I recorded that has 16 tracks. I applied full fx, and played back while my duo mac intel 2.2 was 'thinking' ie: also rendering video at the same time in FCP which takes up a lot of resources

No clips, runtime errors, stops....

My song played SMOOTH

Thanks so much for the hard work Justin.....you the man
Ben Srokosz is offline   Reply With Quote