Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 10-26-2018, 03:11 PM   #1
mister happy
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI editor Menu>View>Mode & Menu>View>Piano Roll Notes changes the other tracks too

Hi,
I have just recently begun using the MIDI editor features that display note names and drum mode diamond shapes.

When I change my drum track to these settings it seems as if the next MIDI track I open in the MIDI editor is stuck in this mode even though it was set to piano notes. I then have to set it back to the piano style view.

Is there some way to set up a drum track without disrupting normal music tracks that use piano style displays?

Thank you.

Last edited by mister happy; 10-29-2018 at 06:54 PM.
mister happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:00 AM   #2
mister happy

I have continued to try to find out if I am doing something wrong or if there is some pattern to what I am experiencing.

I went ahead and made some track templates of the drum tracks set up with the view modes I like.

It seems like the templates don't save the "view" choices.

It seems like the view choices are stored in the project, so I have to reset them when I open different MIDI items with differing view options.

I wish I new how to describe it better.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:13 AM   #3
mister happy

Hi,
I am still having trouble with this and wonder if there is a solution I am missing.

Here's another example; I have made a project template that has a MIDI drum track, and a MIDI synth track. Both are virtual instruments. Both tracks have empty MIDI items in them. I had the drum track set up with diamonds and note names, and the synth track set up with piano notes.

When I start a new project based on the template and I open the drum item in the MIDI Editor I see piano notes and drum note names over lain. I have to reset the view options.

I would have thought the view options stick to the project but somehow they seem to be remembered as last used by REAPER.

Is there a way to lock the view options for a track and have the display show as expected when you open the MIDI items in the MIDI editor?

Thank you.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:44 AM   #4
DarkStar

I cannot repeat that here. I can get:

If I save and re-open that project I still have the different views (they are stored in the MIDI items in the project file). If I create a new MIDI clip its view is the last one selected (that is stored in Reaper's configuration settings).

Perhaps you could compress a simple problem project file (no audio samples needed) into a ZIP file and post it here as an attachment so that we can have a look at it and see what's (not) happening?

How to post attachments (in Post #1)
Old 11-08-2018, 04:03 PM   #5
mister happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
...If I create a new MIDI clip its view is the last one selected (that is stored in Reaper's configuration settings)...
This helps explain some of the things I am encountering. I will try to keep this in mind so that I can understand that this is normal behavior when I encounter it.

Quote:
...If I save and re-open that project I still have the different views (they are stored in the MIDI items in the project file)...
I think I am figuring out that my confusion occurs when I have two empty MIDI items and expect each to have the relative View>Piano Roll Notes type, but they are using the last one selected. I have added some place holder notes in each track and now the settings seem to stick.

Thank you.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:23 AM   #6
TheWhistler

Quote:
I cannot repeat that here. I can get:

How to post attachments (in Post #1)
Sorry for hijacking the thread
How did you get two rows of tools in your toolbar? And perfectly aligned....
TheWhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:35 AM   #7
DarkStar

Separators for the half-width spaces and No-op actions for the full-width spaces.

And a lot of trial and error.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:13 AM   #8
TheWhistler

Quote:
Separators for the half-width spaces and No-op actions for the full-width spaces.

And a lot of trial and error.
Ah, ok so no special magic trick. Thank´s for answering.
TheWhistler is offline   Reply With Quote