Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 11-14-2017, 05:02 PM   #1
Beastmode Beats
Human being with feelings

Default What's the best way to preserve midi items and vsti's?

I'm curious as to how creative some of you have been in creating templates and custom actions. As of now, I have VSTi track templates setup with quantize enabled, I then have them set to armed when the track is selected and midi overdub; once I begin a production I usually start modifying sounds and mixing key sounds right away (most VSTi's are not fat like analogue synths), so I add fx to my liking, I then apply track/ take fx to items, switch items to previous take; SWS Rename selected takes (for the midi take); then switch items back to to next take (for the audio take), rename selected take (for the audio)and preserve the midi items in the same lane because I do not like freezing tracks (because I always tweak fx later on in the mix, (and i dont like to unfreeze). Then I added Toggle FX Bypass for selected tracks to ensure that no fx are still currently in the fx chain after applying track/take fx. This way if I ever need to go back to redo a midi recording I enable the track fx button, then turn the Vsti back on and record updated midi notes back into the chain (if I want to change something).

But at this point i'm debating on whether I should duplicate the initial midi recording track and autosave the template (including its midi items) to the autosave directory. When I rename midi items, I rename them with the name of the project_the type of sound. Ultimately what I really want to do is be able to save my VSTi/midi templates to the project directory (including automation)while also having the newly applied fx takes to the main project directory folder. Please drop a gem to let me know what works best for you.
Beastmode Beats is offline   Reply With Quote