Old 07-19-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
bombthepeer
Human being with feelings

Default Always open midi editor docked

Hi

How do I set it up so that my midi items are always opened in the dock. At the moment it seems completely random if it pops open in a window or docked from double clicking. Sometimes open maybe 3 in a row in the dock then pops a window for 4 or 5 then docks for 6 or 7 and so. Really irritating. Thanks for help.
bombthepeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:59 AM   #2
strinxx

What I did was, after opening the midi editor, I clicked on "options", then "dock window".
Then opened Reapers preferences dialog, went to "Editing Behaviour", "Midi Editor", and chose "Open all track midi in the last focused Midi editor, clear editor first".
This worked well for me.

You have several possibilities there, so choose one that fits your editing needs best.

strinxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:41 AM   #3
bombthepeer

I have the above options engaged... It would appear its to do with the closing of the editor it undocks it when i close it and so then its now in an undocked state, can't find any option to force docking of new midi window so yeah ended up in some kinda loop da loop actions fiasco where there were trade offs for which ever setup i went for suck da suck, so much for been very configurable ... can't even do a rescript because i can't get hold of the handle to the mixer window
bombthepeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:42 AM   #4
keys

why do you need to close the editor window? I leave it open in the dock and click on the releavant tab if i want to change windows...just a thought
keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:12 AM   #5
EricM

obviously one wants to close the editor to have more real
estate for arrange window/plugins/etc. however once its
closed, there is no midi editor in focus, so items are opened
in some default way that cannot be defined. also each item
remembers the position and size of midi editor, so items
previously opened in undocked editor if there is no focused
one will open as such.

welcome to fun and joy of reaper midi editing. there is hope though,
on fresh project whatever you will do with first created midi item,
with these settings enabled others will generally follow the same
behavior.

still, it's a frustration now and then, especially when working on projects
with other users which have different settings, so items will keep opening
in random places.

im still hoping for a day when a universal and unique midi editor
will be implemented (as an option) which will remember its last
position, size and settings project- & item-independant. generally
once a user defines his workflow he sticks to it, hopefully so will
the gui.

e
Old 06-02-2012, 02:33 AM   #6
nonobvious

thank you strinxx!

and just a note, if you want more real-estate to work with, just alt-d to toggle the dock (with editor still in the dock).
nonobvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:46 AM   #7
gofer
-blänk-

...which will close all toolbars/transport/navigator etc that happen to be docked .

I'm with Eric, there should be a possibility to define how new MIDI editors are opened.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
Guido

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM View Post
the gui.

e
Hi,

Truer words were never spoken! Along with a sync-able/non sync-able Event editor viewing the same item at the same time..If u know what i mean.

guido
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
djjedidiah

When you glue an open midi item, it closes the editor, can I avoid this as I want to keep it open and docked all the time?
djjedidiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:53 AM   #10
dreaminglife

Default Midi Editor Undocked

Ello

Am trying to make an action to always open the midi editor undocked. I have lots of other windows arranged docked and the midi editor doesn't fit too well with the others. It also quite often opens in small custom toolbars distorting my whole screenset.

If we could have the action of "undock currently focused window" rather than "Dock/undock currently focused window" I think that would do the trick.

"Item: Open in built-in MIDI editor (set default behavior in preferences)"
"Dock/undock currently focused window" doesn't work

Undock currently focused window (Needed Action)
dreaminglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #11
LugNut

Hi,
Would screen sets help you?
LugNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:44 PM   #12
SymboliC

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM View Post
obviously one wants to close the editor to have more real
estate for arrange window/plugins/etc. however once its
closed, there is no midi editor in focus, so items are opened
in some default way that cannot be defined. also each item
remembers the position and size of midi editor, so items
previously opened in undocked editor if there is no focused
one will open as such.

welcome to fun and joy of reaper midi editing. there is hope though,
on fresh project whatever you will do with first created midi item,
with these settings enabled others will generally follow the same
behavior.

still, it's a frustration now and then, especially when working on projects
with other users which have different settings, so items will keep opening
in random places.

the gui.

e

Just like comments under YouTube videos;
Who is still having this problem in 2018?

The answer is, me.

Here is my thread with the 3rd issue speaking about this odd behaviors and under-the-hood magic of MIDI Editor.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=213737

Though Tod, has suggested that there might be a corruption with my Reaper installation/config, I doubted that was the case and hardly remembered I had seen such a thread back in the day...

Thanks, I found this one again.

My problem is the exact opposite of OP's.
For the life of me, I'm trying t open all my MIDI items in a project within an Undocked MIDI Editor and maximized to full screen.
Currently all of them opens in a random state (being docked or not, windowed with maximized or not) and I every time, have to click "undock" button and double click MIDI Editor window header to maximize it to correct the problem. Then, it will stay so throughout the project. But thinking that you might have tens to hundreds of MIDI items in a project, this obviously shouldn't be the way to go.

Anyone back from 2011 has come up with a solution that I'm not aware of since this thread is also left without a conclusion?

Thanks,
Old 11-22-2018, 03:04 PM   #13
EvilDragon

Reaper's screensets don't store the maximized state of the window. They store X, Y positions and width and height. But not if you clicked on Maximize button or not. So if you manually resize your MIDI editor to almost fill out the screen, then store a screenset, it should work. Just don't click on Maximize.

This is why I don't use undocked MIDI editor. I dock it to the right side, then spread out Reaper across my two screens, which looks like this. Works fine except in certain cases, some confirmation dialogs pop up right in the middle of the whole display, which is right over the monitor bezels.

Also, it sounds as if you don't have preferences set up so that you use only ONE MIDI editor per project, rather than per track/per item? Use only one editor per project!
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 05:50 PM   #14
SymboliC

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Reaper's screensets don't store the maximized state of the window. They store X, Y positions and width and height. But not if you clicked on Maximize button or not. So if you manually resize your MIDI editor to almost fill out the screen, then store a screenset, it should work. Just don't click on Maximize.

This is why I don't use undocked MIDI editor. I dock it to the right side, then spread out Reaper across my two screens, which looks like this. Works fine except in certain cases, some confirmation dialogs pop up right in the middle of the whole display, which is right over the monitor bezels.

Also, it sounds as if you don't have preferences set up so that you use only ONE MIDI editor per project, rather than per track/per item? Use only one editor per project!
Hi EvilDragon,

Indeed, -as I've also spoken about it in my other thread- I've been using "one MIDI Editor per project"... Which is my I expect it to behave as "one". I still cannot understand why some items are popping up in a DOCKED editor while others (which I previously undocked each one of them manually) open in UNDOCKED editor...

While this should be a global option per project or for overall usage, I can also shift to using Docked or Inline editor just because of this annoyance...

OTOH, when I tried screen sets for this purpose only, I wasn't quite successful with them either. I might give them another try though...

Since I do not have two screens at the moment I see that my chances are getting low with this... =/

With a DOCKED MIDI Editor, I have a few concerns,

1) Does the MIDI Editor consume CPU power when it is out of focus or when we switch to another tab as it does when opened as an external MIDI Editor?

2) With a docked MIDI editor, say if it is docked next to Mixer panel, when I expand the editor to my liking, whenever I switch to Mixer panel, it is also displayed as the same height of the docker previously set to MIDI Editor's height. Which eventually leads me to manually shrinking the size of mixer panel. (With this scenario I didn't really have success with using screensets if I remember correct)

3) Similar problems do occur with Docked MIDI Editor...
Say, you have a MIDI item on track 1 and double-clicked it to open the editor. Then you decided to use it as Docked and docked it to the right of the screen. Fine.
Then you created another track with another MIDI item on it. And opened it up in the editor. But suddenly you thought that using the Editor docked below the screen would be a smarter idea and so you dock it there. The tricky part comes here. As soon as you close the editor and just decide to visit the earlier MIDI item, bang, it pops up docked to the RIGHT of the SCREEN. Therefor, you will need to realign/dock it to the bottom, too. And this is a scenario for a baby project with two items at most. What if you decide to switch this in the middle of the project? All existing items will pop-up at the right hand side... and you'll manually drag/dock them to the bottom =/
(This is what I tried just to make sure before writing this 3rd statement)

The thing is, why the MIDI Editor cannot truly obey to "one MIDI Editor Per Project" rule with all its aspects? When one MIDI editor per project is said it echoes this way... Just like having a docked brush panel in Photoshop which always opens/expands at the exact same location with same height as you put it the last time.

At least this is what I cannot get up to now with these so many random and confusing behaviors... I'm playing a hide-and-seek or Kinder Surprise thing with the MIDI Editor in Reaper universe...

Cheers,
Old 11-23-2018, 04:13 PM   #15
TonE

Did you try this.
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=13
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:27 AM   #16
Dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
On my guitar tracks I want velocity, pitch bend, and mod wheel cc lanes visible.

On my drum tracks I want only velocity cc lane visible.

On my orchestral tracks I want velocity, mod wheel, and cc 11 cc lanes visible.

One midi editor per project is not compatible with this, as far as I can tell.
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote