Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 02-06-2016, 12:48 PM   #41
TheWhistler
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
I'd assume most laptops would perform roughly similar with the same specs. I think a lot of issues can come when building your own machine, or when a company offers too much customization for everything to be rock-solid. Again, it's too early to say I won't have any issues, but I can't imagine the company designing these machines for performance, making thousands of the same one only for them to suck.

In regular usage it's pretty quiet, though there have been a few times when the fans were going full blast and it did seem a bit loud. From what I understand it's louder than some comparable laptops, quieter than others. But with a powerful CPU/GPU they'll always be some noise and heat.

On the plus side. I highly doubt audio will tax the video card nearly as much as gaming, which means less heat, and less need for the fans, You can also use just the onboard graphics, and turn off the turbo-boost etc. SSD, and having a bit bigger screen will help with cooling/noise too.
Thank´s again. Seems you´ve gone for the right piece of gear, so will I.
Of course there may come up issues on the long run but DPC-prolems with USB-controllers and W-Lan devices come up very quickly, though.
And totally correct, REAPER is like Word or Excell in terms of graphics and therefor will not need much of the GPU.

I understand everything you stated, except for the "bigger display will help for less heat/noise.
Because of a slightly bigger case?
Old 02-08-2016, 06:15 PM   #42
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhistler View Post
I understand everything you stated, except for the "bigger display will help for less heat/noise.
Because of a slightly bigger case?
More surface area for heat dissipation, and the components don't need to be as cramped together. It will make a bit of difference but not a major factor. When I got my system I was looking at some 15.6" in the store and thought I might prefer that, but now I'm quite glad I stuck with 17.3". I only wish is was 1920x1200 like my old laptop instead of 1920x1080, but I don't think that resolution is very common anymore.

And since you mentioned I did some tests with LatencyMon and I was getting some issues related to ndis.sys (networking), but after updating all my drivers and a tweak or two it seems fine now. At home I map my desktop's drives to the laptop so some DPC could arise again (fingers crossed), but I don't really fault my laptop. Wireless related DPC issues seem extremely common.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:26 AM   #43
TheWhistler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
More surface area for heat dissipation, and the components don't need to be as cramped together. It will make a bit of difference but not a major factor. When I got my system I was looking at some 15.6" in the store and thought I might prefer that, but now I'm quite glad I stuck with 17.3". I only wish is was 1920x1200 like my old laptop instead of 1920x1080, but I don't think that resolution is very common anymore.

And since you mentioned I did some tests with LatencyMon and I was getting some issues related to ndis.sys (networking), but after updating all my drivers and a tweak or two it seems fine now. At home I map my desktop's drives to the laptop so some DPC could arise again (fingers crossed), but I don't really fault my laptop. Wireless related DPC issues seem extremely common.
grateful you took the time write again, thank you.
I understand your considerations about cramping things into a smaller device.
I just thought 15" is good in terms of transportablity. I will not connect the notebook to any kind of network.
So all these devices will be deactivated (notorious W-lan drivers).
I am really also thinking about using that device live e. g. with playtime.

I will go to a store on Wednesday and have a closer look.
I am now more seriously thinking about 17", thank you.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:38 PM   #44
snatchman

Ok, so I'm back again..(lol)..Since I really don't want to buy another interface ( unless I really, really, have too), Question: " What would happen if I install Windows 7 Pro but leave Reaper at 32bits since my current interface only operate at 32 bit Emu 1820M ). Would I still be able to take advantage of the larger RAM count from 64 bits and Reaper still recognize the 32 bit VSTs installed..?..Thanks..
snatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:43 PM   #45
PitchSlap

Quote:
I will go to a store on Wednesday and have a closer look.
I am now more seriously thinking about 17", thank you.
If you're planning to use it a desktop substitute I think 17 is much better. But there's also 2 mini-DP ports so it's pretty easy to connect external monitors and use a mouse/keyboard if you are stationary.

Also I'd recommend shopping around. I got mine on sale for $300 (CAD) less than the current price which definitely made a difference in the value department.

Good luck.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:57 PM   #46
snatchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatchman View Post
Ok, so I'm back again..(lol)..Since I really don't want to buy another interface ( unless I really, really, have too), Question: " What would happen if I install Windows 7 Pro but leave Reaper at 32bits since my current interface only operate at 32 bit Emu 1820M ). Would I still be able to take advantage of the larger RAM count from 64 bits and Reaper still recognize the 32 bit VSTs installed..?..Thanks..
bumping...
Old 02-14-2016, 12:12 AM   #47
Mind Riot

No. Running a 32 bit OS means it is limited in terms of how much memory it can recognize. Also, I had an E-mu 1616 PCI before my current interface and I couldn't get it to work with Windows 7 x64 without crackling because E-mu never developed drivers past the beta stage, and the 1616 is the newer version of the 1820.

BUT the 1820 might work fine on a 32 bit install of Windows 7. I have no idea on that one, you'd just have to try and see. But you'd be losing out on the greater memory access capability of a 64 bit system, among other benefits.

Reaper x64 can recognize and use most 32 bit plugs through bridging.
Mind Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:06 AM   #48
Curtis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Firstly nothing updates until you restart, updates aren't automatic in that sense. I expect you know that from the way you phrase the question though.

I don't really game anymore but I cannot say I detect any slowdown when the PC is downloading updates, even with my prehistoric connection.
I have a whopping 2.5mb connection! (no likely foreseeable option for fibre, and 0.5mb too fast for subsidised satellite -which would be crap for gaming anyway) so for anyone with an average or better connection I doubt it would make much difference. I think they must have traffic prioritisation pretty well sewn up.

With Win 7 Pro you can defer installing updates, but I don't think you can defer downloading them.

Why don't you try it for a month and just revert to 7 if you don't like it.
In windows 7, 8 & 8.1 you can disable updates and no downloads will occur.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:13 AM   #49
TheWhistler

Quote:
If you want to have (and need) the advantages of a 64Bit OS and your Audio-Interface does not support that.
You have to buy one.

I heard of Vista (x64) drivers for your device. But I don´t know if that works.
I tried that with an older tascam us-122. At first I got the drivers intalled, but I had bluescreens and never got it to work properly.

Do you really need Win7?
Old 02-16-2016, 11:50 PM   #50
snatchman

Quote:
If you want to have (and need) the advantages of a 64Bit OS and your Audio-Interface does not support that.
You have to buy one.

I heard of Vista (x64) drivers for your device. But I don´t know if that works.
I tried that with an older tascam us-122. At first I got the drivers intalled, but I had bluescreens and never got it to work properly.

Do you really need Win7?
Well, yes I think I do need Win 7, as you say need it to take advantage of the memory I have just sitting here.!..I guess as far as buying a new interface is not so much in buying, but having to learn a new one!!

Ok..Here's a new question in the same problem: What do I do if I need to switch Reaper to operate at 64 bit from 32 bit..?.Are the license the same or do I have to purchase a new one..? Also,can I keep both versions just in case I have to go back to 32 bit in lieu of problems with 64 bit..?
Old 02-17-2016, 12:22 AM   #51
jiff 41

Hi snatchman
I'm still running an EMU 1616m PCi on my machine (64)it worked fine on W7 & now I've moved up to 10 it's still working, Little niggles here & there but still going!, Have you tried the last (Beta) drivers they had?
Old 02-17-2016, 08:03 AM   #52
TheWhistler

Quote:
Well, yes I think I do need Win 7, as you say need it to take advantage of the memory I have just sitting here.!..I guess as far as buying a new interface is not so much in buying, but having to learn a new one!!

Ok..Here's a new question in the same problem: What do I do if I need to switch Reaper to operate at 64 bit from 32 bit..?.Are the license the same or do I have to purchase a new one..? Also,can I keep both versions just in case I have to go back to 32 bit in lieu of problems with 64 bit..?
Just install the 64Bit Version. You can even import your REAPER-folder from C:\Users\your_name\AppData\Roaming\Reaper from a usb-stick.
Your license is in this folder.
As Reaper automatically bridges 32-Bit plugins, switching to 64Bit is as easy as can be (from the Reaper aspect).
Files are absolutely interchangeable.

I have both, the 32Bit on a Win Tablet and the 64Bit on my main DAW.
No hassle with files and settings.

When I installed the 32Bit version on the tablet, I just copied the folder I mentioned from my desktop to the tablet.
Worked like a charm.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:27 PM   #53
snatchman

Quote:
Just install the 64Bit Version. You can even import your REAPER-folder from C:\Users\your_name\AppData\Roaming\Reaper from a usb-stick.
Your license is in this folder.
As Reaper automatically bridges 32-Bit plugins, switching to 64Bit is as easy as can be (from the Reaper aspect).
Files are absolutely interchangeable.

I have both, the 32Bit on a Win Tablet and the 64Bit on my main DAW.
No hassle with files and settings.

When I installed the 32Bit version on the tablet, I just copied the folder I mentioned from my desktop to the tablet.
Worked like a charm.
Ok..Thanks again..!
Old 02-17-2016, 11:28 PM   #54
snatchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiff 41 View Post
Hi snatchman
I'm still running an EMU 1616m PCi on my machine (64)it worked fine on W7 & now I've moved up to 10 it's still working, Little niggles here & there but still going!, Have you tried the last (Beta) drivers they had?
Hello..Thanks for your reply. Do you have a link to the last beta drivers..?
Old 02-18-2016, 12:10 AM   #55
jiff 41

Quote:
Hello..Thanks for your reply. Do you have a link to the last beta drivers..?
No probs

http://www.emu.com/index.php/support

You could probably get there by right clicking on the EMU logo
Attachment 27044 and the link that's in there?

Let me know if I can help in any other way?

Last edited by jiff 41; 12-07-2018 at 11:53 PM.
jiff 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:29 PM   #56
Airlock

Running a monster custom-by-me spare-no-expense i7 tower for a couple of years now but as I just use Reaper as a multi-track deck on steroids with minimal plug-ins the CPU usage never got much over 10%, so I decided to go the other way and bought a Lenovo B50-45 laptop that has a nicely cropped install of Win 7 Pro 64 bit, no DVD/CD, and 4G ram and 250G HD for $208.00

The laptop is dead silent, and seriously under-powered, but in the case of using Reaper 64bit with a RME UFX there were zero issues running a 52 track stereo 'mix' on it. I would guess any half-decent interface would work just as well. I'm sure things would not go so smoothly running a ton of plug-ins, but this rocks for my current usage and because the laptop is silent I can use a mic in the same room. Major plus.

This worked so well for me I'm maxing out the RAM for $80 (16G Crucial direct) because more RAM is always better, bringing total cost to $288
Airlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:08 AM   #57
snatchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiff 41 View Post
No probs

http://www.emu.com/index.php/support

You could probably get there by right clicking on the EMU logo
Attachment 27044 and the link that's in there?

Let me know if I can help in any other way?
Hello..Thanks for the link.I went to the site but I don't see a download for the 1820m, only 1616/m PCIe,1212m PCIe..
Old 02-19-2016, 12:46 AM   #58
jiff 41

Look what I found?,

There's some links in here still active & some very good news?

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=145818
Old 02-19-2016, 04:12 AM   #59
Mind Riot

That would be really amazing if you could get it up and running on 7. I loved my 1616 but couldn't get rid of the crackling. I never would have gotten rid of it if I wasn't forced to.

Although in hindsight I'm glad I got something newer. Lower latency. But still, it's a great interface and I'm sure the 1820 is too.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:40 PM   #60
snatchman

Oh No..!..I hope you don't have to relearn Patch Mix with the new drivers if so, I'd get another interface first..!! It took me long hours and many, many, gray hairs to finally get a handle on Patch Mix. I have a headache just thinking about having to do it again.!!.Dang!!
Old 02-19-2016, 11:47 PM   #61
foxAsteria

might have been covered, but microsoft will force you to upgrade to 10 soon anyway. 7 is getting phased out. i'll keep running it anyways though, myself because reinstalling all my plugins is a nightmare. updates have been getting pretty aggressive lately...
Old 02-20-2016, 01:06 AM   #62
jiff 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
might have been covered, but microsoft will force you to upgrade to 10 soon anyway. 7 is getting phased out. i'll keep running it anyways though, myself because reinstalling all my plugins is a nightmare. updates have been getting pretty aggressive lately...
They can only do it IF you're on the net tho?
There's no heavies come round the house to say "Da management ave decided" you do as they say?
I took the plunge in the knowledge I could roll back if I didn't like it & was getting along quite nicely & one day (a month flies by!) I started my PC & it said there was a problem & needed to reinstall windows the only options available was 'now or later' I chose now after about 5 minutes it came back on with ONLY windows!, Everything had been wiped & I had to reinstall all my progs!
SO I say if you're happy with 7, unplug your machine!
Old 02-20-2016, 04:33 AM   #63
Mind Riot

I don't know how long this will keep working, but I thought I had disabled, blocked and uninstalled everything related to Windows 10 and this bit of freeware found the 6 GB bag of crap waiting on all three of my Windows 7 PCs and got rid of it on all of them, and I haven't had a problem since. I even deliberately let a recommended update install that I knew was a Windows 10 downloader and it caught it and notified me.

Who knows how long it'll be until they find a way around it, but there always seems to be clever people in the freeware world who find ways around the worst of the slow moving corporate juggernaut if you know where to look.

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/
Old 02-21-2016, 03:05 AM   #64
ivansc

Default !

Just been pointed at this thread after I posted that I have a 1212m up for grabs.
YES the 1212m driver will work on an 1820m. Only difference between them is one has a docker.

I was actually running 64bit 7 with the 1212m and also running reaper in 64bit mode at one time.
I had no real issues with the 1212m and would hve kept it but I needed more than the available 12 I/O.
Now on an RME that will do 24 I/O on the ADAT ports alone.
Those beta drivers linked are fine as far as I can see although I am not sure that you could guarantee they would work with Win10!
Old 02-21-2016, 01:14 PM   #65
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I posted that I have a 1212m up for grabs.
How much?
Old 02-21-2016, 04:29 PM   #66
snatchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Just been pointed at this thread after I posted that I have a 1212m up for grabs.
YES the 1212m driver will work on an 1820m. Only difference between them is one has a docker.

I was actually running 64bit 7 with the 1212m and also running reaper in 64bit mode at one time.
I had no real issues with the 1212m and would hve kept it but I needed more than the available 12 I/O.
Now on an RME that will do 24 I/O on the ADAT ports alone.
Those beta drivers linked are fine as far as I can see although I am not sure that you could guarantee they would work with Win10!
Hello.. So you say you was ok with the win7 working with the 1212m..? I have the 1820m as I understand the only difference is the DOck..?..I had the 1212m also and actually found it performed a little " better " than the 1820m as far as response goes. Could've been that it only had the two channels ( well the Adat port)..Gonna give the Wind7,1820m/ and Reaper 64 bit a whirl in the next day or two. Hopefully I can report back with a good report..!
Old 03-05-2016, 06:28 PM   #67
snatchman

Hello..Back once again.As you know ( I hope (lol) )I'm trying the move to win7 from XP..How do I go about dealing with the existing license.? Do I just download Wind 7,install and it automatically recognize my license or do I have to do something manually..?..Also, how many computers can I use one license on? ( ie..They are both in the same room).. One for XP, one for Wind 7..? ) (if I get another ( better) computer) ..Thanks.!
Old 03-05-2016, 06:38 PM   #68
foxAsteria

Win7 is not free. Win10 is free if you have a legit 7 or 8 installation (but only for a limited time, I believe). If you want to disable the automatic updates to 10 you need to disable all "telemetry updates" (google that to find which ones and how). If your Win7 key is on a sticker on your computer (OEM license) you will only be able to use it on the one computer. If you bought a retail copy, you should have no problem putting it on both machines and installation is simply a matter of putting the dvd in the computer and following the instructions appearing on the screen.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:25 PM   #69
snatchman

Quote:
Win7 is not free. Win10 is free if you have a legit 7 or 8 installation (but only for a limited time, I believe). If you want to disable the automatic updates to 10 you need to disable all "telemetry updates" (google that to find which ones and how). If your Win7 key is on a sticker on your computer (OEM license) you will only be able to use it on the one computer. If you bought a retail copy, you should have no problem putting it on both machines and installation is simply a matter of putting the dvd in the computer and following the instructions appearing on the screen.
Hello..Yes, I have a legitimate copy of Win7 which came with my computer. I just didn't use it because I was using Emu 1820m which only ( well I'm hoping I can change this) works with 32 bits, so I choose the XP..So if I have to end up buying another copy of Wind 7can I install my existing Reaper license on another computer along with that copy of Win7..?
Old 03-05-2016, 11:42 PM   #70
TheWhistler

Quote:
Hello..Yes, I have a legitimate copy of Win7 which came with my computer. I just didn't use it because I was using Emu 1820m which only ( well I'm hoping I can change this) works with 32 bits, so I choose the XP..So if I have to end up buying another copy of Wind 7can I install my existing Reaper license on another computer along with that copy of Win7..?
You just need to put in the license. You can also copy this folder:

C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\REAPER

To the new computer. REAPER will start with license activated and with all your settings, just like it did on your old computer.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:49 AM   #71
foxAsteria

A better option might be to dual boot XP and Win7 if you have enough hard drive space. You can then choose between the operating systems at boot time and make sure things are running smoothly with 7 before you wipe out your XP installation. I still get blue screens pretty often running that old E-Mu hardware in Win7 x64, but I've heard of setups that don't do that, so you might get lucky.

Also I have to question TheWhistler's suggestion. I'm pretty sure there was no AppData folder on XP, but it's been a while. Best to export your configuration from general preferences and backup the Reaper Resources folder containing your license key manually (look in options menu). Incidentally, that menu action will take you to the folder TheWhistler mentioned, wherever it happens to be in XP.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:05 AM   #72
ivansc

@fox: Sorry - I lost track of this thread. The 1212m went to a friend locally, but I now have a line on another one belonging to a friend in Wales. I will ask him if he wants to sell or donate it.
Think he might have an 1820M too!
Old 03-06-2016, 02:45 PM   #73
foxAsteria

@ivansc that's ok i've got the 1212m, but always wanted the breakout box for more IO and a headphone jack.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:21 PM   #74
snatchman

Quote:
@ivansc that's ok i've got the 1212m, but always wanted the breakout box for more IO and a headphone jack.
The Dock is nice but in my opinion, the headphone output sucks..!..I run my headphones from the RCA line outs on the 1820m to a dedicated headphone amp. Much better..!

Last edited by snatchman; 03-07-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:43 PM   #75
TheWhistler

Quote:
Also I have to question TheWhistler's suggestion. I'm pretty sure there was no AppData folder on XP, but it's been a while. Best to export your configuration from general preferences and backup the Reaper Resources folder containing your license key manually (look in options menu). Incidentally, that menu action will take you to the folder TheWhistler mentioned, wherever it happens to be in XP.
You are absolutely right and I apologize
Old 03-15-2016, 12:13 AM   #76
snatchman

Hey guys. I'm about to get this thing going. Thanks to all the help from you.. Now......Is there certain sequence I need to do this to make a smoother transition..? Do I : Install Win7x64 on computer first, or do I install the drivers for the Emu 1820m, or install my updated Win7 x 64 license, or does it matter?..Thanks..!
Old 03-15-2016, 12:40 AM   #77
foxAsteria

Yes, there's definitely a sequence. It should be fairly obvious since it can't really be done in any other order, but...

1. Backup EVERYTHING you don't want to lose on an external/online drive, and don't forget about exporting your Reaper config.
2. Perform a clean install (not upgrade) of Win7, formatting your hard drive in the process (which erases EVERYTHING).
3. Update Windows via Windows Update (unchecking and hiding any telemetry-related updates if you don't want to be forced to install Win10). Then disable the Windows Update service.
4. Install Reaper.
5. Copy the contents of your old Reaper Resources Folder to your new Reaper Resources Folder, overwriting when asked.

Note that backing up your entire VST folder can save you some time as well. If you point Reaper to the new location of your plugins (VST prefs), many of them should continue to work as normal without needing to re-install them.

Also, take a look at post #9 here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...48#post1634548

Good luck...
Old 03-15-2016, 02:21 PM   #78
snatchman

Quote:
Yes, there's definitely a sequence. It should be fairly obvious since it can't really be done in any other order, but...

1. Backup EVERYTHING you don't want to lose on an external/online drive, and don't forget about exporting your Reaper config.
2. Perform a clean install (not upgrade) of Win7, formatting your hard drive in the process (which erases EVERYTHING).
3. Update Windows via Windows Update (unchecking and hiding any telemetry-related updates if you don't want to be forced to install Win10). Then disable the Windows Update service.
4. Install Reaper.
5. Copy the contents of your old Reaper Resources Folder to your new Reaper Resources Folder, overwriting when asked.

Note that backing up your entire VST folder can save you some time as well. If you point Reaper to the new location of your plugins (VST prefs), many of them should continue to work as normal without needing to re-install them.

Also, take a look at post #9 here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...48#post1634548

Good luck...
Hello..Thanks for the link. It's scary as hell.... As far as good luck goes, I'm definately gonna need it..!..
Old 03-15-2016, 09:02 PM   #79
foxAsteria

Well the main points of that post I wanted to get across were that there are certain combinations of e-mu drivers and patchmix which work well together and if you encounter one that doesn't, you must use Driver Sweeper to completely remove it.

I'm using the beta 2.30 driver with Patchmix 2.20 and haven't had any bluescreens in the last few weeks, but I was getting them a lot with the combo recommended in that post. Your mileage may vary.

I still think you should try dual booting XP and Win7 (just google that phrase) for a while, just in case you need to go back. If you like 7 you can just delete the XP partition later. Just be sure to backup before doing anything.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:21 PM   #80
snatchman

Quote:
Well the main points of that post I wanted to get across were that there are certain combinations of e-mu drivers and patchmix which work well together and if you encounter one that doesn't, you must use Driver Sweeper to completely remove it.

I'm using the beta 2.30 driver with Patchmix 2.20 and haven't had any bluescreens in the last few weeks, but I was getting them a lot with the combo recommended in that post. Your mileage may vary.

I still think you should try dual booting XP and Win7 (just google that phrase) for a while, just in case you need to go back. If you like 7 you can just delete the XP partition later. Just be sure to backup before doing anything.
Hey fox, thanks a lot for the info man..!