Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-14-2019, 12:31 PM   #601
tack
Human being with feelings

Default 0.3.90 pre-release version now available

0.3.90 -- the first pre-release version leading up to 0.4.0 -- is now available via the pre-release ReaPack:

Code:
https://reaticulate.com/prerelease.xml
See here for more detailed download instructions. Those of you already on the pre-release track should automatically receive it (provided you haven't pinned to a specific version).

Overview

Although this release contains several new features and fixes, the bulk of the work has been toward a significant internal design overhaul of how the main app communicates with the per-track Reaticulate JSFX instances (#62), plus improved flexibility of how articulation and output event options are processed by the JSFX.

These changes pave the way for more sophisticated features than were previously possible (some of which are included in this release), but despite my best efforts in testing, the sheer volume and complexity of these changes means regressions are probable.

Your help testing this pre-release is very much appreciated. Do **backup your projects first** as those saved with this version will be incompatible with older Reaticulate versions. (This is generally true of major releases.)

Note: Reaper 5.97 (released on February 21, 2019) or later is now required.

New Features
  • This release introduces support for multiple MIDI buses. Anywhere previously involving a destination MIDI channel can now optionally include a MIDI bus number as well. Among other things, this allows for better integration with Vienna Ensemble Pro. (#73)
  • Articulations can now define transformations to incoming notes after the articulation is activated. These include transposing the notes, a velocity multiplier, and pitch and velocity range clamping. (#72)
  • Output events can now be routed to destination channels set up by the previous articulation by using '-' as the channel (#42)
  • Output events can now send pitch bend MIDI messages (#60)
  • Double clicking an articulation or invoking any of the activate articulation actions twice within 500ms will force insert the articulation in the MIDI item at the edit cursor. (This is equivalent to right clicking, which behavior still exists.)
    - The old behavior of always inserting when step record is enabled has been removed in favor of this consistent approach.

Documentation on the website (https://reaticulate.com) has been updated to reflect these new features.

Minor Enhancements
  • Bank messages (set with the 'm' attribute in the bank definition) can now be viewed from Reaticulate's main articulation list screen
  • Errors and other problems with banks or track configuration are now more visible in the articulation list screen
  • Linux: preliminary support
  • Added tremolo-180-con-sord icon
  • Many other small GUI refinements

Bug Fixes
  • Fixed problem where insertion of articulations could not be undone by Reaper's undo action
  • Fixed bug where 'art' type output events combined with filter programs could hang Reaper (infinite loop)
  • Fixed bug where activating an articulation that acts as a filter to another articulation's 'art' output events could activate the wrong child program
  • Fixed bug when MIDI controller feedback was enabled where Reaticulate would sometimes install sends to the wrong track when a new project was opened
  • Mac: use the Reaper theme background color for Reaticulate's window
  • Fixed bug when opening the Reabank file editor on Windows when the path contained spaces
  • Fixed rare crash when last touch fx becomes invalid
  • Factory banks: Fixed trills and tongued legato for the Herring Clarinet
  • Do not clear serialized variables in @init per JSFX docs (#65)
tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:23 PM   #602
_Stevie_

Awesome Tack, I can smell the lovely scent of v0.4

Btw, I moved over to put Reaticulate on my touch screen, which is pretty great.
Is there an "easy way" for me to make Reaticulate borderless?
Old 10-16-2019, 08:00 PM   #603
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Is there an "easy way" for me to make Reaticulate borderless?
Not sure about an easy way -- or any way for that matter. There might be something autohotkey can do. This isn't a Reaticulate specific question so you might have more luck tossing it out on a separate thread. I'm not aware of a method myself.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:35 PM   #604
_Stevie_

It is actually possible with JS API, but I wasn’t sure, if you already stumbled across it.
I haven’t checked it out myself, though.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:40 AM   #605
tack

Quote:
It is actually possible with JS API, but I wasn’t sure, if you already stumbled across it.
I haven’t checked it out myself, though.
Do you happen to know the api in question?
Old 10-17-2019, 05:10 AM   #606
_Stevie_

Yes, found it!

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=696
Old 10-17-2019, 06:58 AM   #607
tack

Quote:
Yes, found it!
Thanks Stephan, I'll check it out.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:06 AM   #608
_Stevie_

Thank you Jason!
Old 10-17-2019, 10:40 AM   #609
tack

Is there anyone else who would find value in borderless windows when undocked?

I'm trying to get a sense of how useful this would be in general. I'm not likely to add a feature 1 or 2 people use.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #610
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack View Post

I'm trying to get a sense of how useful this would be in general. I'm not likely to add a feature 1 or 2 people use.
I would absolutely use this. I prefer having reaticulate on a touch screen so I'm never going to have it docked. Having borderless windows would allow you to seamlessly run it next to other scripts without it looking like a mess.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:45 AM   #611
_Stevie_

Here's a GIF to demonstrate what I'm planning to do.
http://nextcloud.stephanroemer.net/i...qyYdNTJwkxawcK

Reaticulate would take the same space as Smart Knobs 2, that you can see on the right side.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #612
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
I would absolutely use this. I prefer having reaticulate on a touch screen so I'm never going to have it docked. Having borderless windows would allow you to seamlessly run it next to other scripts without it looking like a mess.
Do you use Windows or Mac? I'm not sure the capability exists on Mac at least with the JS API.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:21 AM   #613
tompad

Gnnnnnnnggrmmmnnnn!

I feel VERY bad to ask this - I think Reaticulate is GREAT! -
but would it be possible to make Reaticulate like a webremote
just like ReaperWRB 2? The idea come when you started to talk
touchscreens (dont blame me!)....it would be great to control
Reaticulate from a tablet via LAN.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #614
Klangfarben

Quote:
Do you use Windows or Mac? I'm not sure the capability exists on Mac at least with the JS API.
Windows currently. Trying to migrate full time to Linux.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:02 PM   #615
Supremo

Hi Tack!

I have just started using your amazing Reaticulate tool in my newbuid orchestral template and love it!

One thing that I struggle to figure out relates to multiple Spitfire patches in one Kontakt instance being sent to a single Midi track with Reaticulate enabled. For example, I load several Violin 1 patches from Sptifire Chamber Strings and enable multiple Reaticulate banks on the corresponding Midi track. However, when I select one of the articulations from one of those Reaticulate banks it triggers the signal for the same articulation on all library patches, thus doubling the sound and causing phasing issues. Please see the link below.

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/37341/RTQL.gif

I know, I may be doing something wrong but tried to follow your video guidance on how to set up channels for Spitfire libraries in Reaticulate (e.g. Omni -> Source). And yes, I have locked all patches to UACC.

Could you please help me figure that out? How should I set the outputs or maybe tweak some data inside Reaticulate reabank file in order to get that right?

Thanks a ton!

Last edited by Supremo; 10-17-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Supremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:33 PM   #616
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompad View Post
but would it be possible to make Reaticulate like a webremotejust like ReaperWRB 2? The idea come when you started to talk touchscreens (dont blame me!)....it would be great to control Reaticulate from a tablet via LAN.
It's certainly possible. So many other things to do first, but I'll consider that as a future idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supremo View Post
I know, I may be doing something wrong but tried to follow your video guidance on how to set up channels for Spitfire libraries in Reaticulate (e.g. Omni -> Source). And yes, I have locked all patches to UACC.
One of the key differences between the video and your setup (and thanks for the GIF BTW, visuals are always so useful) is I loaded in patches that didn't have any overlap in articulations. In your case, your Violins 1 patch has a set of commonly used articulations but there is overlap with the other two patches, which is why they are both activating. You're clicking on spiccato, and Reaticulate sends the CC32 value 42 event, and then both Spitfire patches which offer spiccato are activated.

Although Reaticulate will normally complain about assigning multiple banks with conflicting program numbers on the same source channel, it doesn't flag this as a conflict because these conflicting programs happen to be sending the same output events. So technically when you click on "fingered" you do get a fingered legato, but it selects the first legato articulation because they have the same program number.

The most obvious solution is to replace Violins 1 with Violins 1 - Decorative, which does not have any overlap with Violins 1.

Another option would be to put each patch on a separate channel and in the track config where you assign the banks, target those channels explicitly instead of using 'Source'. This will at least prevent the duplication. (BTW I'm surprised that the layering should result in phasing. Aren't they triggering the same samples?)

And as a footnote, I just discovered targeting separate channels per bank is actually broken in the prerelease. So if you're using the prerelease, that won't work. (And of course that'll be fixed in the next prerelease.)
Old 10-17-2019, 06:42 PM   #617
tack

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like Julian recently added a better API JS_Window_SetStyle that's apparently more cross platform. I have this basically working to prove the concept. I should be able to land it in this prerelease cycle unless I run into an unexpected challenge.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:03 AM   #618
_Stevie_

Awesome, that would be amazing

There's something I'm dreaming of for a while now:
showing the articulation in the item itself. It's almost there, since we can PC for program change. But there's currently no way to make it show stac, trem, etc... instead of PC, right?

Old 10-18-2019, 12:27 PM   #619
tack

Quote:
But there's currently no way to make it show stac, trem, etc... instead of PC, right?
No way that I'm aware of anyway.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:28 PM   #620
_Stevie_

Thought so, requested it here
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2193888
Old 10-18-2019, 12:55 PM   #621
Supremo

Quote:

The most obvious solution is to replace Violins 1 with Violins 1 - Decorative, which does not have any overlap with Violins 1.
Once again, many thanks Tack! Problem solved with the simple replacement of the 'Basic Articulations' patch with the 'Decorative' one.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:45 AM   #622
tompad

Quote:
It's certainly possible. So many other things to do first, but I'll consider that as a future idea.
Thanks Tack!
Old 10-20-2019, 05:57 PM   #623
hopi

good idea Stevie! that would be very helpful... finger and eyes are crossed
Old 10-20-2019, 05:59 PM   #624
hopi

Quote:
didn't trump build a wall around linux?
Old 10-21-2019, 01:06 AM   #625
Kitarraman

Quote:

At the moment, I don't feel the need of a borderless UI for my workflow (I have my Reaper window set just like yours), but if it'll be possible in the future to "remote command" Reaticulate from a tablet, that would be cool
Kitarraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:32 AM   #626
hopi

I do not need borderless... thanks for asking
Old 10-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #627
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitarraman View Post
At the moment, I don't feel the need of a borderless UI for my workflow (I have my Reaper window set just like yours), but if it'll be possible in the future to "remote command" Reaticulate from a tablet, that would be cool
I requested that some time ago, so that we can use LBX Stripper to retrieve the ExStates and then automatically populate buttons with the corresponding articualtions. However, this is a rather big untertake (which will take some time to implement) and I therefore decided to just put the Reaticulate GUI next to LBX Stripper. That way I'm able to use Reaticulate even when the MIDI editor is open, since it's on a different screen.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:03 PM   #628
Kitarraman

Quote:
I requested that some time ago, so that we can use LBX Stripper to retrieve the ExStates and then automatically populate buttons with the corresponding articualtions. However, this is a rather big untertake (which will take some time to implement) and I therefore decided to just put the Reaticulate GUI next to LBX Stripper. That way I'm able to use Reaticulate even when the MIDI editor is open, since it's on a different screen.
I'm not following you on LBX and ExStates, first time I hear about them. I have to look into them though
Old 10-21-2019, 12:20 PM   #629
_Stevie_

I quickly made a video for you and others that are interested in that workflow. It's quick and dirty so bear with me:

https://nextcloud.stephanroemer.net/...J9exmiqQQEmApZ
Old 10-21-2019, 01:45 PM   #630
TonE

Quote:
Awesome, that would be amazing

There's something I'm dreaming of for a while now:
showing the articulation in the item itself. It's almost there, since we can PC for program change. But there's currently no way to make it show stac, trem, etc... instead of PC, right?

But much cooler would be if there would not stay only 'PC' but its value PC=10, or some other text pulled of a conversion table, e.g. PC=10 would be replaced by 'function_name'. So in your arrange you would see those function names, which would be immediately understood. I am using program change events for various tasks.
- switching sounds, common everyone knows
- switching patterns, of an arp, e.g. BlueARP
- switching tempo, from a logarithmic tempo list, via pc to tempo mapping via osc and oscii-bot

When used for recalling snapshots, all above, together with
- all track mutes
- track programs/sounds

You can switch quickly among various settings, meaning a different tempo, different arp patterns, different sounds, some tracks muted others unmuted. On top of this scenario you can play new stuff, of course in real-time.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:47 PM   #631
_Stevie_

That's exactly what this FR was about

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2193888
Old 10-21-2019, 01:54 PM   #632
TonE

Quote:
I quickly made a video for you and others that are interested in that workflow. It's quick and dirty so bear with me:

LBX Stripper is available to anyone, the other half I guess not. So it would need a replacement, over time, so anyone can use it. Thanks explaining and demonstrating the usefulness of ExStates. I should check which scripts are using ExStates already, via rgrep.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:56 PM   #633
_Stevie_

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. LBX Stripper is freely available.
(Donations to Leon are highly appreciated, though).
Old 10-21-2019, 01:58 PM   #634
Supremo

Hi Tack.

Sorry for my repetitive and somewhat identical requests but I desperately need your help again as I'm getting nuts already. I have spent an entire day trying to set up an instance of multiple CineBrass patches being sent to a single Midi track with Reaticulate enabled with no success.

For example, I load several Trumpet patches both from CineBrass Core and Pro libraries (like Trumpets Ensemble Articulation; Trumpets Muted Articulation, etc) and assign those patches to respective Midi channels in Kontakt. I have also created a Reaticulate bank and made sure there is no overlap in Program numbers or notes assigned for those patches. The bank looks like this:

//! g="Cinesamples/CineBrass Core" n="Trumpets"
Bank 32 1 Trumpets Ensemble Articulations

//! c=long i=legato o=note:@1:29/@2:0
1 legato
//! c=short i=spiccato o=note:@1:31/@2:2
40 short 1/8
//! c=short i=tenuto-eighth o=note:@1:33/@2:4
42 short 1/4
//! c=short i=staccato o=note:@1:35/@2:5
52 short 1/2

//-----------------------------------------------------

//! g="Cinesamples/CineBrass Pro" n="Trumpets"
Bank 32 2 Trumpets Muted

//! c=long i=legato o=note:@1:0/@2:29
7 legato
//! c=short i=spiccato o=note:@1:2/@2:31
44 short 1/8
//! c=short i=tenuto-eighth o=note:@1:4/@2:33
48 short 1/4
//! c=short i=staccato o=note:@1:5/@2:35
50 short 1/2

However, no matter how I assign channels in Reaticulate (whether put Kontakt library patches on different channels or on the same one), articulations get switched only for one patch and the channel switching from a single 'Trumpet' Midi track on my DAW does not activate / switch articulations in other corresponding Kontakt patches.

Please see the gif file.
https://imgur.com/a/ywvKBLE

Just to be clear, my ultimate goal is to have single tracks for each Brass instrument (e.g. one track for all Trumpet patches, one track for all Horn patches, etc) and be able to control articulations from different patches accordingly.

Any chance I could achieve that with Reaticulate in regards to the CineBrass library?

Many thanks Tack!

BTW, I'd be happy to make a generous donation for your awesome work. Just couldn't find a 'donate' link for Reaticulate.

Last edited by Supremo; 10-21-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:04 PM   #635
TonE

Stevie, when film composing, are you playing your 'piano' freely or along a given tempo? Vangelis is the master of playing all freely, how are you and other film composers playing?
Old 10-21-2019, 02:05 PM   #636
TonE

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. LBX Stripper is freely available.
(Donations to Leon are highly appreciated, though).
Heda Track inspector? Heda's stuff usually are not.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:17 AM   #637
Kitarraman

Quote:

Looks interesting. I'll make sure to look into it in the future. Thanks Stevie!
Old 10-22-2019, 03:46 PM   #638
tack

Quote:
//! c=long i=legato o=note:@1:29/@2:0
1 legato
You have two output events here and neither of them are correct syntax, so that's definitely going to be your problem.

Basically what you want to achieve here -- putting the various trumpet (or whatever) patches on different channels in one Kontakt instance on one track is very achievable. This is a pretty basic use-case for Reaticulate. So we can definitely get you there.

I can understand what you're going for with your first output event: you want to send note 29 to channel 1 (and then have subsequent MIDI that you perform go to channel 1). The correct syntax there is 'note@1:29'

But what were you going for with '@2:0'? Were you trying to also send note 0 to channel 2 here? Did you want note 29 on channel 1, note 0 on channel 2, and then subsequent events going simultaneously to channel 1 and channel 2, effectively layering the patches? If so, this is the syntax you want:

Code:
//! c=long i=legato o=note@1:29/note@2:0
1 legato
And from there you can see how to fix the other lines.

Although I'm not entirely sure that's what you want.

Quote:
However, no matter how I assign channels in Reaticulate (whether put Kontakt library patches on different channels or on the same one), articulations get switched only for one patch and the channel switching from a single 'Trumpet' Midi track on my DAW does not activate / switch articulations in other corresponding Kontakt patches.
When you explicitly specify the destination channel for the output events as you've done (the @1 type of syntax) for all output events of a given articulation, then the destination channel you choose when you assign the bank to the track actually has no effect on that articulation. The destination channel there applies to output events that don't target a specific channel.

So you can either choose to remove the channel from the output events and rely on the destination channel when you assign the bank to the track (which allows the user of the bank to use whichever channel they want), or specifically target channels 1 and 2 for the two patches.

My personal choice would be the latter. In fact, I'd consolidate everything into one bank:

Code:
//! g="Cinesamples/CineBrass" n="Trumpets Core+Pro"
//! m="Load Core Trumpets Ensemble on channel 1 and Pro Trumpets Muted on channel 2"
Bank 32 1 Trumpets Ensemble Articulations

//! c=long i=legato o=note@1:29
1 legato
//! c=long i=legato o=note@2:29
7 legato muted

//! c=short i=spiccato o=note@1:31
40 short 1/8
//! c=short i=spiccato o=note@2:31
44 short 1/8 muted

//! c=short i=tenuto-eighth o=note@1:33
42 short 1/4
//! c=short i=tenuto-eighth o=note@2:33
48 short 1/4 muted

//! c=short i=staccato o=note@1:35
52 short 1/2
//! c=short i=staccato o=note@2:35
50 short 1/2 muted

Quote:
BTW, I'd be happy to make a generous donation for your awesome work. Just couldn't find a 'donate' link for Reaticulate.
The sentiment is truly appreciated. Please see this post.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:15 PM   #639
Supremo

Quote:
But what were you going for with '@2:0'? Were you trying to also send note 0 to channel 2 here? Did you want note 29 on channel 1, note 0 on channel 2, and then subsequent events going simultaneously to channel 1 and channel 2, effectively layering the patches? If so, this is the syntax you want:

Code:
//! c=long i=legato o=note@1:29/note@2:0
1 legato
And from there you can see how to fix the other lines.

Although I'm not entirely sure that's what you want.
Yes Tack, exactly. In that 'note@2:0' example I wanted the note 0 (which was a C-2 keyswitch in my previous 'Trumpets muted' patch) to be assigned to the channel 2, and thus be able to switch articulations between the two patches from a single Midi track. And I intentionally chose different notes as keyswitches in different library patches as I wanted to avoid any overlap.

However, I have just replaced my initial code with your consolidated bank and reassigned keyswitches but this doesn't seem to work either. I still cannot activate articulations from the second (Trumpets muted) patch sitting on channel 2.
Please see the link below.

https://imgur.com/a/RgJ6mNQ

Last edited by Supremo; 10-23-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:35 PM   #640
tack

Quote:
I still cannot activate articulations from the second (Trumpets muted) patch sitting on channel 2.
Please see the link below.
When you click on the '2' button you are changing the default channel for articulations (when you click '2' and then click an articulation it will assign source channel 2 to this articulation), but not the MIDI events sent by your controller. Those still come in on whatever channel the controller is sending.

Unless you want to handle incoming MIDI events from multiple source channels simultaneously (e.g. for layering articulations in your MIDI item), you can just leave everything on channel 1. Work in channel 1 and by selecting the different articulations, Reaticulate will route events from channel 1 to either channel 1 or channel 2 depending on which articulation is selected. This is the typical multi configuration.

P.S. There is a bug in the prerelease currently (0.3.90) that will break this scenario for you. I'm about to release a fix. But if you're using the latest stable release, 0.3.2, it'll work.