but i was less intimidated by the "complex method"
i've got a dual boot system and it was easy enough
as long as you follw each step carefully

dave
dave dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:06 AM   #42
rluk
Human being with feelings

Used your settings to make my own nlited version, tweaked it a bit (themes mostly), added driverpacks, and changed some other minor preferences I cant remember at the moment.

Everything worked just fine, fast install and nice clean system.

Thank you very much, for all the work you have done on this, saved me alot of
time.
rluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:36 AM   #43
Smurf

OK folks, am wanting to try this out (sounds great!) but from what I have read the Dux XP version is not "final" yet?

Any time frame for that in the works? I am NOT rushing, just want to wait for the complete OS before I nuke & pave my system....

And a BIG Thank You for going to all the trouble to create this!
Old 01-25-2009, 09:46 AM   #44
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
OK folks, am wanting to try this out (sounds great!) but from what I have read the Dux XP version is not "final" yet?

Any time frame for that in the works? I am NOT rushing, just want to wait for the complete OS before I nuke & pave my system....

And a BIG Thank You for going to all the trouble to create this!
What is ever "final"? . Just kidding.

Of course it`s final, but I will make occasional updates with new fixes and tweaks [and "refinements"] .

Cheers!
Old 01-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #45
dave dove

hey dux

i'm having terrible trouble getting two screens going with this
no matter what i do it's either one or the other
both are old nvidia cards one agp the other pci
the drivers are all installed but it will only "see" one of them
had a similar difficulty with your first version
and somehow fluked it
any ideas??

dave
Old 02-02-2009, 02:38 PM   #46
DuX

Must be something wrong with the drivers Dave, not Windows... use the newest drivers you can. New nVidia drivers work perfectly with more than one screen.

AGP and PCI cards? must be pretty oldish... however we don`t need fancy 3D graphics eh? but that could be the problem, old drivers, nVidia not supporting older cards properly...

Cheers!
Old 02-03-2009, 03:19 AM   #47
dave dove

hey dux

thanks for the reply...
they are the latest nvidia drivers
and my standard xp install works spot on with no messing about
except for all the trash i don't want of course.....

i wanted this to be the only windows on the PC
and yes it is old but the best i can afford

if i reinstall a driver, that will be the only screen shows up in display settings
so i can go back and forth between screens by uninstalling and reinstalling drivers
but it won't see both
i'm sure it's simple but i gave up...

will try again this week...

dave
Old 02-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #48
fladd

I am just downloading this one and I am quite excited. I have a lot of troubles with performance, especially with Reaper and Asio. So this installation with all its tweaks might help me a lot.

A few questions though:
- Is it save to deactivate all hardware I do not need, like Network, Wireless, Cardreader and so on?
- Is this working with Sata drives?
- On the first page of this thread you somewhere mentioned that there is still some stuff to do (especially regarding the theming and turining off some services). Is this now also in this version, or do I still have to do this by hand afterwards?
- Do you advise to use this version with SP3 or the old one without it? Is SP3 anything especially in regard to audio performance? (I always have the impression that windows service packs bring more troubles than advantages.)

Regards,
fladd

Last edited by fladd; 02-03-2009 at 09:37 AM.
fladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #49
DuX

It must be something with the drivers...

Dave, did you try doing this... that`s what I always do when I have to install multiple VGA`s:

You never install OS and the drivers with both cards in the PC. First deinstall all the NVidia VGA drivers and shutdown the PC. Pull out the PCI card, and install AGP card to work "normally". You could go to the NVidia control panel and set it up to work with multiple screens before installing the PCI card. Then shutdown Windows, install the PCI card and Windows should use the same drivers for that one. Are they the same btw.? It cannot work if you install drivers for both. The same driver should be able to work with both, so use the driver which works with the older card if they`re different cards.

Cheers!
Old 02-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #50
Bob Headroom

Hi fladd

I'll try answer these as best I can for you:

1. Yes - it is absolutely fine to disable these things if you do not use them. In fact, it is recommended for a DAW and you should have performance boosts by doing so. Remember that some of these things can be disabled in your BIOS.

2. SATA = no problem. DuX's build is meant to be bang up to date and would be a bit too old school if it only worked with IDE drives.

3. I guess it is best for DuX to answer this one. But as I am sure he has mentioned elsewhere, these kinds of things are always growing and can always be improved on. Like most things in the world of computers - don't blink or you'll miss it. That being said, AFAIK this is a good and sturdy build and any future tweaks will be more minor. With regard Services, again - AFAIK - DuX only gets rid of the services which are completely useless - which is a slack handful. The rest he leaves to each individual for their own individual tweaking. The thing with services is that they really are an individual thing and dependent on your PC set up and your wants and needs. There are plenty of guides around that will help you through the services thing. BlackViper springs to mind....if you need to know others then ask and I'll find out. The memory isn't what it used to be!

4. I think you've missed the point here. Did you know that this thread is a spin off directly from the sticky up above? Basically, last year sometime - when SP3 was still well in its BETA stage - Tonehdge started a thread (the one above) discussing the possible merits of SP3 on DAW PCs. As this evolved, DuX kindly roped himself into using nLite to slipstream SP3 into a Windows XP install, whilst at the same time using nLite to strip Windows down and purge it of the tonne or so of unecessary crap. Like a hyper-enema without the rubber gloves (unless you use them to protect delicate components from static, etc.). He then uploaded these stripped down, SP3 slipstreamed installations for folk like us to download and use.

So ALL the available DuXPs (as they are coming to be known) have SP3 slipstreamed. This latest one has the final release (RTM) SP3, whereas the previous ones where still using BETA SP3s.

"Is SP3 anything especially in regard to audio performance?" Well that kind of brings us right back to the start of this whole adventure!

HTHs

Max
Bob Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #51
fladd

Thanks a lot for the answer Max! Really appreciated here! I will try to install this thing tonight.

fladd
fladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #52
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fladd View Post
...this installation with all its tweaks might help me a lot.
There aren't so many tweaks... but a few of them are quite important for an audio workstation.

Quote:
A few questions though:
- Is it safe to deactivate all hardware I do not need, like Network, Wireless, Cardreader and so on?
Absolutely. Some of it, that you don`t use at all, you can disable in BIOS, and some of it you can disable in Device Manager, then if you need it, you can enable it without restarting Windows and going into BIOS setup. This is especially important for Wireless, Bluetooth and all other tooth and less... Common LAN Network driver in itself is not soo bad IME [in my experience].

Quote:
- Is this working with Sata drives?
You probably mean with AHCI? Yes, I integrated the AHCI Sata drivers for Intel and AMD chipsets in it. Some NVidia and JMicron, too.

Quote:
- On the first page of this thread you somewhere mentioned that there is still some stuff to do (especially regarding the theming and turining off some services). Is this now also in this version, or do I still have to do this by hand afterwards?
Yep, it`s the same, because you can`t please everybody and every PC setup is different.

Quote:
- Do you advise to use this version with SP3 or the old one without it? Is SP3 anything especially in regard to audio performance? (I always have the impression that windows service packs bring more troubles than advantages.)
In my experience, SP3 is more than worth it - it`s better performing than SP2 in every way. I`ll be also updating the installation with the new MS post-SP3 patches from RyanVM`s site and tweak it a little between the builds in order to provide the stuff some users need and iron out any bad behaviour . Build 3 coming soon .

Edit: Thanks Max, excellent job, mate! Like the hyper-enema thinking... LOL

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 02-03-2009 at 10:21 AM.
DuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #53
Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX View Post
What is ever "final"? . Just kidding.

Of course it`s final, but I will make occasional updates with new fixes and tweaks [and "refinements"] .

Cheers!
Thanks for the info, I will grab it later today. And Thanks for all the hard work!
Old 02-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #54
Cableaddict

Default Help Needed.

Can someone help me get these files unstuffed into an iso image?

I downloaded them onto my Mac, since my pc is down (waiting for an OS install.)

I've downloaded plenty of pc apps (including OS builds) this way before. It typically entails using several un-stuff apps, but always works. Not this one.

I try to unstuff the .exe file (part 1) but I either get a "corrupted" message, or it asks me where to find the file named "wxpsp3ao.part1.roo" -which doesn't exist.

Any idea what I might try?
Cableaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:45 AM   #55
Cableaddict

Update-

I figured it out. I had to un-stuff part two, not part one, and then it worked fine.

Odd, I've never seen that be the case before.
==============================

# # # # # IMPORTANT QUESTION:

With Dux's original build, there were a bunch of Dll's which had to be manually put into the windows/system32 folder. I don't see them with this build.

Are the no longer needed, or installed automatically?

Last edited by Cableaddict; 02-05-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:53 AM   #56
dave dove

hey dux

just reinstalled without screen card connected etc
but it still won't have it
i put the latest nvidia drivers in etc
shut down, installed 2nd card, rebooted....
no go
my standard install sees them fine but not this
not even the nvidia wizard thingy...
i'll try again when i have a pcie card ( my mobo supports those too )
or i'll install your previous build 'cos that worked
thanks for these

dave
Old 02-08-2009, 09:06 AM   #57
DuX

Odd. And the previous build worked? Makes no sense, as this build is actually a bit more bloated, or "feature rich". hmm, I would really like to know the cause of this strange behaviour with multiple NVidia cards. All I know now is that it`s not caused by nLite. Maybe new MS patches are to blame?

Cheers!

@Cableaddict: yes you will *probably* need those additional dll`s, here: http://rapidshare.com/files/114606036/adddlls.rar They are necessary only if you get those "missing dll" messages.

Last edited by DuX; 02-08-2009 at 09:10 AM. Reason: bad memory :)
Old 02-09-2009, 05:49 AM   #58
Cableaddict

Thanks, Dux.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:39 PM   #59
maa

Thanks for this neat install - works a treat and saves hours of work!

I wonder why the German keyboard is missing - belgian and all sorts are there.....

One thing I have missed already though is the 'recognition of an already installed version'
This is somthing that saves complete reinstalls when the boot loader gets messed up. Mine did and the SP2 Cd can repair this.

So what happened now is that after messing with some funky partitioning XP lost its boot block.

To fix the un-elegant way:
I installed up to the key insertion point.
Switched off the hard way.
Booted DOS7 from a stick.
Edidted the BOOT.INI to get rid of the new installation (WINDOWS.0)
There I was - back in busness - the boot sector repaired.

Has this module been removed ?

Cheers

maa
maa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #60
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by maa View Post
Thanks for this neat install - works a treat and saves hours of work!

I wonder why the German keyboard is missing - belgian and all sorts are there.....

One thing I have missed already though is the 'recognition of an already installed version'
This is somthing that saves complete reinstalls when the boot loader gets messed up. Mine did and the SP2 Cd can repair this.

So what happened now is that after messing with some funky partitioning XP lost its boot block.

To fix the un-elegant way:
I installed up to the key insertion point.
Switched off the hard way.
Booted DOS7 from a stick.
Edidted the BOOT.INI to get rid of the new installation (WINDOWS.0)
There I was - back in busness - the boot sector repaired.

Has this module been removed ?

Cheers

maa
Yep! I think it is called "User settings backup" or something similar...

It`s like cca 30 or more MB's less on the installation CD. Who knows how much space it takes when installed, because the dll`s are compressed.

As for the missing German keyboard... I have noticed that nLite`s support for keyboards removal is very flaky to say the least. There`s also UK keyboard missing, even though I didn`t remove it. Soon I`ll be making build 3 with new RyanVM`s post SP3 patches v3 and I will make sure that all the needed keyboards are there. This keyboard support is one of the rare bugs in nLite. I also noticed you cannot remove Bosnian keyboard whatever you do... no wonder as the nLite author is from Bosnia . I`m gonna have to experiment... I would really like to include just Western Europe and US keyboards and nothing else. What use is, for example, Chinese or Russian keyboard to us... Just takes up some space and makes looking for your keyboard layout more time consuming.

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 02-10-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #61
maa

Magic - keep up the good work. Its the smallest install 'I've ever seen and really fast at first testing.
I'm on multi boot so I'll test it with the same prjects against a 'normally tweaked' SP2 install.

Thanks again,

maa
maa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #62
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by maa View Post
Magic - keep up the good work. Its the smallest install 'I've ever seen and really fast at first testing.
I'm on multi boot so I'll test it with the same projects against a 'normally tweaked' SP2 install.

Thanks again,

maa
It would be interesting to see how it compares to a normally tweaked install, yep. There are known small performance differences in favour of XP SP3, though, mostly a little bit faster file system.

I have never used the "normal" install, so I wouldn`t know . All I can say is that I`m very satisfied and absolutely unburdened by thinking of changing the OS. Now all I`m burdened with are buggy apps. XP SP3 just works and that`s all that`s important to me. Even if MS says Win7 works 20% faster, I wouldn`t trade it for this kind of stability with XP. I`d rather go with Linux or OSX, actually...

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 02-10-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #63
PaulRich78

Hey Dux, thanks again for your first version
I have had problems with the recognition of my 2 cores
You stated in the first post that there were some important multiprocessor tweaks
Can you state the majot differences and benefits of this new build
If you dont have the time, no worries
Thanks anyway
Paul
PaulRich78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:30 AM   #64
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRich78 View Post
Hey Dux, thanks again for your first version
I have had problems with the recognition of my 2 cores
You stated in the first post that there were some important multiprocessor tweaks
Can you state the majot differences and benefits of this new build
If you dont have the time, no worries
Thanks anyway
Paul
No problem mate . Build 2 includes SP3 + all the post SP3 patches v1.0.3. You can find some info about them here: http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack-sp3.html It's a recommendable read .

Cheers!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:37 AM   #65
psycom

Yikes... I'm hiring someone to build mine! problem solved.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #66
ssj4vegita2002

Is this a 64bit version?
ssj4vegita2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #67
pixeltarian

Quote:
This has extensively been discussed in this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=15923 so you can all look it up for additional info, solutions etc.

This second Windows XP SP3 AO build is not very different from the first one, but includes some important stuff and updates like:

- wireless network is working
- firewall is working
- all post SP3 fixes, including the december 2008. ones, see the list here: http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack-sp3.html There are some rather important fixes for multiprocessor PC`s. I`ve been waiting for this, therefore such a delay prior to releasing this build.
- Intel, NVidia and AMD AHCI drivers
- most of the EU keyboards and regional settings, including UK and US.

What it doesn`t include is: general BS, bloat, spam, unnecessary BS, WM Player, Internet Explorer etc. However, this build is much larger than the previous build and weights whooping 300MB, so I had to split the archive into two, because Rapidshare caps the uploads at 200MB. Shame. I`m not sure why it`s so much bigger, but I`m assuming it`s mostly because of the post SP3 fixes. If that`s the case, I don`t regret it being 100MB bigger.

So here it is, the first part of the self extracting RAR archive: http://rapidshare.com/files/17643328...p3ao.part1.exe

and here is the second part: http://rapidshare.com/files/17644049...p3ao.part2.rar

Here`s nLite settings INI file for those who want to tweak the XP installation by themselves: http://rapidshare.com/files/177012614/wxpsp3ao2.ini

I left the "Out of the box experience" in, so it should be "authorisable". I`m trying to stay on the legal side of things as much as possible, as I don`t want Cockos to have any troubles regarding this, some would say "crippled" Windows XP.

One warning for the users who are not very proficient with Windows: this Windows installation is mostly intended for experienced or advanced Windows users, not so much because of the way the installation goes - it`s even easier to install it than the default one, but because of the way this Windows look and behave. It looks quite different to your usual default installation and it`s tweaked after my subjective opinions and from my long time experience using Windows for audio and multimedia in general. Most of the tweaking done, you should find on any Windows that a proficient Windows user that is into audio and video is using and inexperienced users could easily have many problems with this OS, as nothing is hidden "under the rug" you can delete important files by accident and stuff like that. In other words - if you don`t know what regedit.exe is, stay away, or be at least very careful with what you`re doing and you`ll be rewarded with a great and fast OS that XP can be when tweaked and cut in the right places.

Last thing...

Happy Christmas, happy holidays, get nicely pissed...

I wish you all good luck, lots of love and patience for your loved ones, some money and excellent health! To your families, and loved ones, too.

Cheers!

will I have to load an SATA driver? if so, including the driver (as I think most SATAS will work with some generic SATA driver) might be a good idea...
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #68
DuX

"This second Windows XP SP3 AO build is not very different from the first one, but includes some important stuff and updates like:

- Intel, NVidia and AMD AHCI drivers" [SATA AHCI drivers if you like ]

So yes, it includes SATA AHCI drivers. For "normal" [ATA compatible actually] SATA they are not required.

Cheers!
Old 03-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #69
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj4vegita2002 View Post
Is this a 64bit version?
No. It is not.

Cheers!
Old 03-19-2009, 02:09 PM   #70
draqie

Default would i go this way for my eeepc 901?

I would like to set up my lovely little net book for music.
16 channels of music and a few audio channels.
atom chip 2 gig of ram and a 8 gig ssd
draqie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:02 AM   #71
AdamM

Hey DuX, do the nLited iso's have the keyboard remapping tool included?

the exe is remapkey.exe, normally lives in C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools

Would be really useful for me as I have a non standard keyboard that I'd like to make use of.
AdamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #72
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamM View Post
Hey DuX, do the nLited iso's have the keyboard remapping tool included?
Unfortunately not. It is a useful tool, though. I will try to find a way to slip it in somehow in build 3.

The last test build I made and installed myself on my "workhorse" has no problems with different keyboards. I personally use only the US layout for personal reasons [I'm an oldschool "DOS" guy" ], but I checked all the other layouts people were complaining about like UK and German layout and all installed correctly this time. nLite was always buggy in this regard, until now, it seems. So, if everything's working like the doc ordered is there any sense in slipping it in the ISO?

Cheers!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:56 PM   #73
Tallisman

Dux what is the chance of this next build leaving the username user configurable?

thanks for you contributions here btw!
.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:53 AM   #74
AdamM

It would be a "nice to have" (remapkey.exe that is) - I have a particular Cherry keyboard that has no "Windows" keys & I'd like to use it and be able to get some of the additional functions of those missing keys by remapping.
AdamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:54 AM   #75
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
Dux what is the chance of this next build leaving the username user configurable?
I'd love to, but then you lose the automatic log-on . Most people don't know how to enable automatic log-on in TweakUI. Some people tend to forget the password easily... Don't get me wrong - I'm all for it, but what about those who are not so much into Windows? hmmm questions, questions...

and the build 3 is working like hell! errr meaning excellent, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
thanks for you contributions here btw!
.t
I enjoy this s... very much, thank *you*! . No user shall be spared of optimised Windows eXPerience!

Cheers!
Old 04-08-2009, 05:57 AM   #76
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamM View Post
It would be a "nice to have" (remapkey.exe that is) - I have a particular Cherry keyboard that has no "Windows" keys & I'd like to use it and be able to get some of the additional functions of those missing keys by remapping.
I'm going to have to make an nLite install plugin then. Damn life... just kidding, of course . I was planning on learning how to do it for a veeery long time anyway.

Cheers!
Old 04-11-2009, 11:17 PM   #77
mtl777

Can you use the nLited XP CD to reinstall Win XP on top of an existing Win XP installation that was done using a regular CD? If possible I would like to avoid having to do a fresh install as I have so many programs on my machine and it would be a pain to have to install all of them again.
mtl777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:10 AM   #78
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl777 View Post
Can you use the nLited XP CD to reinstall Win XP on top of an existing Win XP installation that was done using a regular CD? If possible I would like to avoid having to do a fresh install as I have so many programs on my machine and it would be a pain to have to install all of them again.
Actually not. And it makes no sense to install on top of the old installation either. Just clench your teeth and do it. You won't regret it. I did not . You'll be rewarded with a new, fresh and very responsive OS. I was so glad I did it finally on my main computer, too. It was really worth it.

Cheers!
Old 04-12-2009, 03:42 PM   #79
mtl777

Quote:
Actually not. And it makes no sense to install on top of the old installation either. Just clench your teeth and do it. You won't regret it. I did not . You'll be rewarded with a new, fresh and very responsive OS. I was so glad I did it finally on my main computer, too. It was really worth it.

Cheers!
That's what I feared.

How would you compare your nLite XP install vs a regular install that's been tweaked with all those optimizations from Black Viper, MusicXP.net, etc.? Are there some things in your nLite XP install that cannot be achieved with tweaking a regular install? If so, what would they be?

Thanks!
mtl777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #80
Rubiks

Default Going for it...

Hey all,
had to give my congrats to "Duxp", as i've never been so excited to make a format on my hard drive.
Been reading the whole lot of these forums and been learning very much, with all you guys.
Going for it this week, and i'll be posting some hopefully good news about the machine.

Dux, do you see the 3rd version release at the end of the tunnel, as i can wait a bit longer for this?!

Cheers...
Rubiks
Rubiks is offline   Reply With Quote