Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 04-13-2015, 09:23 PM   #1
richlum
Human being with feelings

Default UR44 vs Focusrite 6i6 + latency/samplerate question

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide between the UR44 and 6i6.

I don't need that many ins/outs. I mainly just record myself and only record 1 thing at a time (guitar, vocals or midi), but the 2 headphone outs will be good when I'm recording someone else.

The advantage of the UR44 seems to be the onboard DSP which might be useful for monitoring with effects, but if I have low enough latency in REAPER, then I can probably just use a light reverb or EQ that has not latency, right?

One other thing is that the UR44 goes up to 192khz and the 6i6 is 96khz. At the moment I only record at 44.1khz.
From what I understand, going up to 96khz will allow me to get lower latency with the same buffer size, which will be good when recording VSTis or using amp sims.
I'm not sure I want to go 192khz though. I only have a 256GB SSD in my machine
Is it possible to monitor/track at 192khz when recording VSTis and record and mix audio at 44.1khz?
Or, am I better off moving up to 96khz for the better latency and implement better file management on my part?

Has anyone had any compatibility problems with REAPER in terms of the drivers or the software mixers of either of these units?

The UR44 is 14000THB and the 6i6 is 8900THB.
If neither have nay problems I'll probably go with the 6i6 as I don't think the DSP and higher samplerate will be worth the extra cost as I don't really need them.

Thanks,
Rich
richlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:35 AM   #2
Barksy

i can't compare for you, but I have the UR44, don't really use the onboard effects. easy to install, works no problems.

Solid.
Barksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:00 AM   #3
Mind Riot

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlum View Post
Hi all,

I'm trying to decide between the UR44 and 6i6.

I don't need that many ins/outs. I mainly just record myself and only record 1 thing at a time (guitar, vocals or midi), but the 2 headphone outs will be good when I'm recording someone else.

The advantage of the UR44 seems to be the onboard DSP which might be useful for monitoring with effects, but if I have low enough latency in REAPER, then I can probably just use a light reverb or EQ that has not latency, right?

One other thing is that the UR44 goes up to 192khz and the 6i6 is 96khz. At the moment I only record at 44.1khz.
From what I understand, going up to 96khz will allow me to get lower latency with the same buffer size, which will be good when recording VSTis or using amp sims.
I'm not sure I want to go 192khz though. I only have a 256GB SSD in my machine
Is it possible to monitor/track at 192khz when recording VSTis and record and mix audio at 44.1khz?
Or, am I better off moving up to 96khz for the better latency and implement better file management on my part?

Has anyone had any compatibility problems with REAPER in terms of the drivers or the software mixers of either of these units?

The UR44 is 14000THB and the 6i6 is 8900THB.
If neither have nay problems I'll probably go with the 6i6 as I don't think the DSP and higher samplerate will be worth the extra cost as I don't really need them.

Thanks,
Rich
Hi there, I can't answer every question for you but I have the UR44. I've only had it about six months or so since my old E-mu interface developed pops and crackles I couldn't get rid of.

The onboard DSP is very useful and handy, not just for monitoring but for insert effects if need be. I don't like to use inbound effects that way as a rule, but just being able to bring down the overall input gain with the EQ or use it for a more precise low cut can be a life saver if everything else is dialed in to a T and you just need a slight tweak in that one area.

The compressor and reverb work nicely for tracking vocals, and it is convenient to have that all handled outside Reaper. Haven't messed with the guitar amp sims much.

Of course you can do any effects you want in Reaper but you'll have to deal with whatever latency you can manage with your setup. So it's nice, it's handy, it's not essential, but, etc.

I personally am not working with anything above 24/44.1 right now and I'm not sure if I'll ever even try 192 khz myself. There's a whole lot of very credible science supporting the position that it will make no difference and no credible science (that I've seen, mind you) saying that it will. Personally, I've never read or heard anything that convinced me that 96 khz makes any difference that humans can hear either.

***DISCLAIMER***
BUT THIS IS JUST MY OPINION AND DOES NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENT THE OPINIONS OF THE REAPER FORUM, THE MAKERS OF REAPER, IT'S AFFILIATES OR THEIR FAMILIES AND MY OPINION EXISTING ON THIS FORUM IN IT'S WRITTEN FORM SHOULD NOT IN WAY BE TAKEN AS AN ENDORSEMENT BY SAID INDIVIDUALS OR LEGAL ENTITIES NOR BY ANY OTHER MEMBERS OF THE REAPER FORUM WHO MAY HAVE OPINIONS COMPLETELY CONTRARY TO MINE AND WHOSE OPINIONS SHOULD NOT BE VIEWED AS HAVING LESS WEIGHT THAN MINE SIMPLY BECAUSE YOU SAW MINE HERE BUT SHOULD IN FACT BE JUDGED ON THEIR OWN MERITS AND MAY IN ALL LIKELIHOOD BE FOUND BY MANY OR EVEN MOST TO CARRY EVEN MORE WEIGHT AND IN THE EVENT OF SUCH I OFFER FULL COOPERATION WITH THOSE OPINIONS IN THE SPIRIT OF PEACE AND HARMONIOUS COEXISTENCE.
***DISCLAIMER***

Sorry about that, people get touchy around here about that sort of thing sometimes.

But to another point in your post, all else being equal running at 96khz instead of 44.1 should give you half the latency, because each audio sample is half the length. But your CPU has to work a lot harder, so it's really about whether your computer has the muscle.

Of course I can only speak to the UR44 as far as compatibility and it's worked perfectly with no hiccups since I installed it; I'm very pleased. But everybody seems to really like the Focusrite stuff, and before I got the UR44 I was going to get one of their Firewire units myself but it was discontinued. So it sounds like you might not need the extra features the UR44 has.

One word of caution though. I understand wanting to save a bit of coin, believe me, but try to look into a future a bit and think about whether or not you might end up working with some other musicians or something and might need more inputs at some point. It's much easier to pay a bit more and have some extra ins and outs then it is to end up having to sell your interface at a loss a year or two down the road and get another one.

Anyway, hope it works out for you.
Mind Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:10 AM   #4
richlum

Thanks for the help.

I just ordered the UR44.
The onboard DSP actually seems quite attractive now.
Plus,the Steinberg drivers seem to get good reviews in terms of stability and latency.

When I had my desktop with an Edirol DA2496, I used to track vocals with an outboard compressor with a small 2 or 3 to 1 ratio to just smooth things out and make it sound better whilst singing. It will be good to be able to do that again, and without any extra gear. I'm pretty transient at the moment with just a Surface Pro 3 and trying to keep everything as minimal as possible.
richlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:38 AM   #5
jwinkelhake

Default Focusrite vs UR44

We initially worked with a Focusrite 2i2 which only has usb power. It was not only a pain to plug/unplug every time we recorded (unplugging so that I could use the onboard computer sound card for editing in either Reaper or Protools), but the unit dropped signal and crashed often during recording - frustrating the singer etc etc. As my usb2 plug on my computer (I only have 2 since it's mostly a usb3 computer), wore slowly out and became wiggly, I finally decided to go with a wall-powered unit.. thus we got the UR44 - NIGHT & DAY DIFFERENCE. Now, I can leave the UR44 plugged into the computer and simply turn it off when when I want to switch to ASIO4all- onboard soundcard for editing and listening through a theater surround system. PLUS we have not had one crash (so the system/drivers are more stable). I do not know if the 6i6 is self-powered, but if not, I'd recommend against it.

In terms of Pre's, my singer thinks the sound of the UR44 is better - I personally don't think there is a discernible difference (in our system), but the stability, ease of use and ability to send a little reverb/EQ to the singer independent of the DAW is nice too). Both units lack the ability to amp a signal from a mic or to headphones more than about 10 feet away without cranking the dials up beyond 75% - and introducing noise. I use a Mogami cable, so that's not the problem. The 2i2 also lacked strength to drive my Rocket5 monitors to a nice loud level - not an issue with the UR44. So, we have a little tube pre-amp inserted between the condenser mic and the UR44.. we also have a little headphone amp with 4 outputs..our singing room is about 25 feet away from the A/V workstation. The sound card issues are now a thing of the past. Whew!

Hope this helps/
jwinkelhake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #6
Evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwinkelhake View Post
We initially worked with a Focusrite 2i2 which only has usb power.
Thanks for the report (also interested in this thread)...

Just noting that the 2i2 is in a totally different price range (much lower) compared to the UR44. Even the 6i6 is a good €50 (or more) lower in price where I looked at. So I am awaiting for more opinions on the matter.

Regarding the DSP on the UR44, how many instances of the effects can you normally launch? And I presume this works only for 44.1kHz?

Thanks
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote