Old 11-10-2011, 04:51 AM   #161
benf
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sightlessness View Post
I agree with the mini sliders, the RS Obsidian ones could work very well.
(RS Obsidian is not from Nandy? Is it a mod? In the pics looks great
but I can't install it since it's not a Reaperthemezip file).
RS Obsidian is from Prom (Don't know him on other hand).
It works just like Rock Solid : you got 2 rar files to download in the same place before unzip the first one.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #162
natierau

Thanks NandyC

Great mini theme, I will for sure use this when working on larger mixes, I think I can get 76 faders on screen (in one row) 180 or so depending on what I choose as layout having multiple rows on one screen. This will be great when you start of a mix and want an overall view of what is going on. I mostly use two screens.

Bluddy awesome work by the way.

I've now made a shortcut to open up the input/output,FX etc from selected channel, so it doesnt really matter what layout I choose.

I wonder if there is a way to make the selected track in the TCP go bigger when selected by itself.

I am yet to test it on a mix, but I am sure I will start using it when the mixes get quite big.

You might want to consider adding to the slim - fader small buttons vertically (solo,fx,cut,record) as it is more the width than length that is a problem, but I see that there are three supertiny's that have many options to them.
natierau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #163
NandyC

Default Updated 24th November 2011

Small update to the main theme:

Added TCP layout '13 Single Line':

Added colour coded knobs to TCP to make it easier to navigate.
Corrected Automation mode display order.
Fixed a couple of other small bugs.

I also fixed a couple of small bugs in the mini version.

Cheers,
Nandy.
NandyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #164
jico27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NandyC View Post

I have just finished my first theme. I did it as a bit of fun, and to see how close I could get it to look like a hardware mixer. I had to span the rar as it was too big for one file in stash - you can download it here: Part 1 and here: Part 2

INSTALLATION:

You need to download both parts and make sure they are downloaded to the same location. Then, extract part 1. You only need to extract part 1 as part 2 is automatically extracted so long as it is stored next to the first part.

You should end up with a folder containing the Rock Solid theme file, and a readme.txt. The theme file is 3.64mb in size.

Once the file is extracted, go into the folder and find the 'Rock Solid.ReaperThemezip' file. If you double click the 't-shirt' icon it should automatically install itself into your themes list.

If not, you will need to manually copy the theme file into the clipboard, then open your themes folder and paste the theme file into it. You can find the themes folder by opening Reaper, and going to 'Options' -> 'Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder...' From the window which opens, double click the folder called 'Color Themes'. Paste the 'Rock Solid.ReaperThemezip' file in here.

You can then select the theme in the normal way - Go to 'Options -> Themes and look for Rock Solid.

INFO:

If you want to use the MCP MASTER in a separate window or in the docker, you will need to use the "Stretchy" layouts as the others do not work.

There are only input boxes on the MCP on "Wide Record" layout ... but you can access the inputs easily by right clicking on the ARM button.

The Folder 2 Layouts for both TCP and MCP automatically darken folder tracks.

There are quite a few layouts in this one - If you want to edit the list/delete some, unzip the ReaperThemezip file and open the 'rtconfig' file in your text editor. You can edit/delete the layouts from there.

The Alt Virtual Armed Layout only looks different to the default layout when armed for recording.

If you have any ideas and you want to change anything - please feel free. Also, please feel free to post up/share any mods!

CREDITS:

I used quite a few elements from RADO by Nick Moritz - Thanks Nick! There are also a few elements from the default theme - Thank you White Tie.

Also thank you to all of the other great themers... There are loads and loads of great REAPER themes which gave me ideas and inspiration.

The star wars icons I used in the test/fun layouts are free icons from http://www.iconfinder.com/ by Everaldo Coelho. If you want to use them for anything, please check the license.

Thank you to everyone on the forum for testing the theme and making suggestions - and thank you for all your kind words!

Very nice theme indeed. I love it and use it all the time now. I think everyone likes it.
Just one question I can't solve by myself: on my system (W7 + reaper 4), the 2 buttons on the track in the MCP (the blue one & the green one) are displayed as 2 pans going from one channel to the other (R & L).

In the screenshot above, these 2 buttons seem to have different functions: the blue one is a pan & the green one is a power potentiometer (the range of which being -100w to +100w).
My first question is:
Have you an explanation for these 2 different displays ?
My second question i :
What is really this green button for : a second pan or power ? And in each case : what is its use ?
jico27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #165
ivansc

perceived stereo width within the sound field
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #166
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jico27 View Post

In the screenshot above, these 2 buttons seem to have different functions: the blue one is a pan & the green one is a power potentiometer (the range of which being -100w to +100w).
My first question is:
Have you an explanation for these 2 different displays ?
My second question i :
What is really this green button for : a second pan or power ? And in each case : what is its use ?

The 'different' displays are a result of the 'pan' settings (these are found in the Project settings).

The green knob is a 'width' control (not a power potentiometer) and is available depending on which pan settings you chose. See section 10.13 of the User Guide for more information.

HTH
Old 12-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #167
skudge

Default Corrupted Rar file?

Hi Guys

This theme looks great but I'm unable to unrar it. Tried re-downloading, tried Winrar, 7-zip and a few others but keep getting a corrupted file message. Might be worth looking into.

Cheers
skudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:47 AM   #168
Morpion

@skudge -

There's no problem at all with the rars here. You do have them both in the same location and you're only extracting them by clicking on part 1 aren't you?
Morpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:25 AM   #169
jico27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
The 'different' displays are a result of the 'pan' settings (these are found in the Project settings).

The green knob is a 'width' control (not a power potentiometer) and is available depending on which pan settings you chose. See section 10.13 of the User Guide for more information.

HTH
Ooops ! What a fool I was.
Now I have the 'width' control running ok.
Very nice theme and wonderful software too !

thanks bluzkat
jico27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #170
NandyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudge View Post
Hi Guys

This theme looks great but I'm unable to unrar it. Tried re-downloading, tried Winrar, 7-zip and a few others but keep getting a corrupted file message. Might be worth looking into.

Cheers
Hi skudge,

If you are still having problems, you could try this link to download the file:

Rock Solid

You don't need to unzip this one. Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,
Nandy.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #171
NandyC

Hi Guys,

Just a quick note to say thank you to everybody who tried the theme and thanks again for all the nice comments!

The last time I posted I was in a bit of a rush, trying to post the theme update and I didn't get chance to say thanks.

Cheers,
Nandy
Old 12-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #172
skudge

Hi NandyC

I downloaded the 2 Rar files to my lappy again this morning, tried half a dozen compression utilities and same result - corrupt archive. Tired the same thing on my studio machine and once again no deal. I then remembered that I'd already downloaded these files a while back and forgotten about them. I located the earlier downloads and Winrar handled them no problem.

Anyway, assuming that you'd made a few tweaks since my earlier download, I downloaded the single ReaperThemezip file and it looks gorgeous. The vintage feel of the thing takes me back about 20 years to a funky old studio I used to work at and I will be using it a lot. Excellent work.
skudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:41 AM   #173
natierau

Hi Nandy C
Hope you are well. I've been testing out your theme and its pretty much awesome.

I've been wondering if you could maybe have a look at your main theme (the large one for a lack of a better word) (OK Rock Solid Standard Edition).. if you could put the small buttons you have on Rock Solid Small Edition (the ones for FX Solo Etc) on the MCP rather than two large buttons. You really need the solo and fx buttons if you want to work. I find that when I get to main mixing time and have thin tracks with VU on top then you have to go to TCP to solo, and that sucks.

What is great about this theme is that I now stretch the MCP it over two screens on tiny with the VU's on top. This gives me about 72 channels or so to view at once. Pretty awesome except for the solo problem.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:16 AM   #174
dpclarkson

"I find that when I get to main mixing time and have thin tracks with VU on top then you have to go to TCP to solo, and that sucks.

What is great about this theme is that I now stretch the MCP it over two screens on tiny with the VU's on top. This gives me about 72 channels or so to view at once. Pretty awesome except for the solo problem."

+1!
I'd also like to see a layout with a meterbridge on top and a visible solo+cut.
Would it also be possible to have the same kind/size of meterbridge on top,
just like the meters displayed on the side as in the default layout?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RS_metertop.jpg (29.3 KB, 438 views)

Last edited by dpclarkson; 12-09-2011 at 02:42 AM.
dpclarkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #175
MacFizz

Hey there,

Great theme, well on it's way permanently replacing the theme I was using so far.

Just for the record, I do like the 3D knobs.

Aside from this, I miss infos on the meters (fader position and max peak), that would be really usefull.
Meterbridge layout is really a must for me.

Thx for the good work.
MacFizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #176
NandyC

Happy New Year to everyone!

@skudge, MacFizz, jico27 - thanks guys! glad you like it.

I had a little time today to fix a couple of errors. You can download the latest version here: Part 1 and here: Part 2

@dpclarkson - That's a great idea, I incorporated it into the latest version, and I think it works really well - thanks! Check out layouts 54-56.

@natierau - I agree... it was a struggle trying to decide what to do with the buttons on the slim layouts - if I just ditched the 'sel' button to allow both 'mute' and 'solo' buttons it seemed to break the feel of the theme a little, but the way I did it was probably too much of a compromise to the functionality. I have added some rough lines of code which you can un-tab to give you 'solo' on the top and 'cut' on the bottom for all slim layouts. It is a quick and dirty fix - there is a double shadow on the solo button this way. You can select the tracks by single clicking the name or track number. The layouts to change in the rtconfig are:

6, 7, 25, 26, 29 31, and 44-52 (Changing 29 will automatically change 55.)

I have attached a copy of the rtconfig with these lines un-tabbed, so you can just drop it into the unzipped folder. I would still download the latest version of the theme first, as there are a few tweaks and fixes.

I also put a couple of alternate meter colour files that I was playing with in the folder in case you want to have a play with them. The files are meter_strip_v and meter_strip_h

...let me know what you think!

Nandy.
Attached Files
File Type: zip rtconfig.zip (6.8 KB, 243 views)
Old 01-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #177
natierau

Hi Nandy C, I will have a look at the changes and what you have suggested hopefully within the next two weeks.

Recently my studio PC was undone by a BSOD in the end resulting in motherboard and power supply to go bang. I am waiting to get a new 2600K and will probably put it together over this weekend or early next week.

As soon as I have all my plugins and samples re installed I will have a go at it.

I will be mixing quite a bit in the near future so I can test the setup again. I did have some trouble with a previous mix I did with this theme but it was also a project that I had to get finished on a loan machine, so I did not have time to play around.

I do know that there is one of the mcp outlays with the VU at the top and the inserts below with the fader strip at the bottom (narrow) that could be a very nice one to work with when it comes to mixing time. There was some shortcomings on that particular strip but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was, it will probably jump out at me as soon as I mix again.

I did at some stage start to experiment with having shortcuts to open various things on the mcp in stead of using the mouse (which will be a better option in the long run, but I haven't spend enough time on it before my machine crashed) I am considering getting an extra keyboard/pad and then mod it for various parts of the actual mcp strips. But this however is not of the greatest concern for me a the moment.

What I did test was on the rock solid mini when I did my initial outlay of the project with about 90 tracks, this was pretty neat as all the tracks was displayed on one screen.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #178
dpclarkson

NandyC, just installed the updated theme with the meterbridge on top.
Brilliant work!
Love the extended meters!

Thanks!
dpclarkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #179
Mr. Data

Dunno if I did something wrong, but I still have the same problem that I mentioned in post 62.

BTW: Happy new year, NandyC!

-Data

Last edited by Mr. Data; 01-08-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #180
NandyC

Hi Mr. Data,

If you open screensets window (ctrl+E) and select one of the 'stretchy' layouts (layouts 5-8) for the master mixer panel, it should work fine when the master track is in the docker.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #181
ivansc

Hi, Nandy - Just curious to see if you were still playing with this theme,which I use, or if it a finished job.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:38 AM   #182
NandyC

Hi ivansc,

Sorry, I have been away from the forum for a while. I always intended to replace the buttons, and clean a few things up - some of the grays don't quite match etc. It has not really bothered me too much when I have been using it though, so to I haven't really prioritised the time needed to tweak it - it is quite time consuming! I may get around to it at some point.......

All the best,
Nandy
Old 05-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #183
TimOBrien

Love it.

The only minor thing I would do is maybe shrink the vertical height of the mixer fader buttons by 50% (they just feel a little large to me), but it wont stop me from using it as-is.

Love the perspective knobs.

Thanks!