Old 04-26-2022, 06:04 PM   #1
Edgemeal
Human being with feelings

Default v6.56+dev0426 - April 26 2022

v6.56+dev0426 - April 26 2022
* Includes feature branch: Rrreeeaaa timestretching mode
* Includes feature branch: improved render loudness charts
* Includes feature branch: render individual tracks via master track using render matrix
* Includes feature branch: fix potential partial undo points being added
* Includes feature branch: media item fixed lanes
* Includes feature branch: video decoding/encoding via Windows Media Foundation
* Includes feature branch: internal pin management overhaul for future extension
* Includes feature branch: display options for recent projects list
* Includes feature branch: media explorer user-defined tags
+ Media items: actions to activate previous/next/etc take do not affect locked media items
+ Render: improve render speed when rendering stems or regions via master [p=2551835]
+ lv2: support URLencoding in filesystem specifications [t=265942]
# Media items: regardless of preferences, do not display media item label within the item if the item is not tall enough for the text to fit

Full changelog / Latest pre-releases
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 11:30 PM   #2
Embass

Embass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 01:33 AM   #3
musicbynumbers

Regarding takes.

Something that would be amazing to "take" a look at would be the take mouse modifier.

Currently it ignores grouping of the items across tracks (e.g. multichannel drums) so if I select a grouped item and then use the mouse modifier to select a different take. Only the item I was over will change to that take and the rest of the grouped items will stay on the previous take which breaks the connection they are normally meant to have.

It would be amazing if all grouped items changed to that take as currently it's a bit slower to quickly jump to certain takes when editing drums etc.

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2022, 01:40 AM   #4
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
+ Render: improve render speed when rendering stems or regions via master
Not processing unnecessary tracks/plugins is a major performance increase.

On a similar note, rendering (and real-time playback) could also be massively improved by not processing silence similar to Studio One's Plugin Nap, or features built into certain plugins.

Further details and benchmarks:
Intelligent Plugin Sleep On Silence (CPU Saver)

Related blog post:
Saving the plane and your sanity by auto-freezing
Old 04-27-2022, 02:07 AM   #5
Embass

Old 04-27-2022, 03:46 AM   #6
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
* Includes feature branch: Rrreeeaaa timestretching mode
Finally had some time to check out the new stretching mode.

Definitely interesting, but also a bit too chaotic for many situations.

I hope my feedback/wishes are not out of place here or sound ungrateful but I was hoping that we could have some more predictable sounding algorithms for either "smooth" or "grainy" sounding timestretch (or ideally both someday), which sound better at extreme settings than the ones Reaper has now.

Here a video as an example of what I mean: https://vimeo.com/703660906

First you hear the original Snare drum sample, then stretched with third party smooth and grainy algorithm, and ultimately stretched with the closest Reaper alternatives (elastique 3.3.3 for smooth and soundtouch high quality for grainy).

You may hear that the smooth stretching with elastique sounds ringy/metallic and the grainy stretching with soundtouch sounds wobbly and the grains kind of not uniformly spaced.

Don't know if this can be improved by tweaking the existing modes or is rather accomplished by adding new algorithms but I really hope that at some point these sounds will be achievable with Reaper's native stretching and I figured I'll post it now that creative timestretching is in focus.
Phazma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 04:06 AM   #7
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embass View Post
(gif)
These screencaps are all super useful, but a bit of feedback is that we will prioritize handling bugs and unexpected behaviors that don't depend on unlikely user actions, like right-clicking while already left-dragging, or running an action while in the middle of mouse-editing.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 05:51 AM   #8
thommazk

Hi, devs!

I found a small issue with undo history and switching through MIDI items: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....84#post2552084
thommazk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 05:57 AM   #9
Embass

Old 04-27-2022, 06:53 AM   #10
Embass

stuck MIDI notes while moving item/area
Old 04-27-2022, 07:21 AM   #11
Embass

Old 04-27-2022, 08:17 AM   #12
onewayout

Also Found in Version .55-56 I cannot open LOCKED item FX without unlocking it...Any workaround for this?

Thanks again for all the hard work Everyone!!

Jeff

FOUND SOLUTION: Right-Click FX button to open desired Item FX (-:

Last edited by onewayout; 04-27-2022 at 08:34 AM. Reason: FOUND SOLUTION
onewayout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 09:27 AM   #13
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
then stretched with third party smooth and grainy algorithm
Which one(s)?
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 10:06 AM   #14
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
These screencaps are all super useful, but a bit of feedback is that we will prioritize handling bugs and unexpected behaviors that don't depend on unlikely user actions, like right-clicking while already left-dragging, or running an action while in the middle of mouse-editing.
Perfectly reasonable but I just want to point out that your second example, running an action while mouse editing is actually pretty common. User using mouse with one hand while triggering keyboard shortcut with other hand is a very typical workflow.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 10:11 AM   #15
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Perfectly reasonable but I just want to point out that your second example, running an action while mouse editing is actually pretty common. User using mouse with one hand while triggering keyboard shortcut with other hand is a very typical workflow.
Can you give an example? I don't mean to nitpick, and all of the bug reports are super valuable, but is it actually typical to run an action while literally in the middle of dragging something with the mouse?

[adding] just to be extra clear, bug reports are great and please post all bug reports! I only mentioned the prioritization to manage expectations about which bugs are more likely to get addressed first.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 10:20 AM   #16
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
Finally had some time to check out the new stretching mode.

Definitely interesting, but also a bit too chaotic for many situations.

I hope my feedback/wishes are not out of place here or sound ungrateful but I was hoping that we could have some more predictable sounding algorithms for either "smooth" or "grainy" sounding timestretch (or ideally both someday), which sound better at extreme settings than the ones Reaper has now.

Here a video as an example of what I mean: https://vimeo.com/703660906

First you hear the original Snare drum sample, then stretched with third party smooth and grainy algorithm, and ultimately stretched with the closest Reaper alternatives (elastique 3.3.3 for smooth and soundtouch high quality for grainy).

You may hear that the smooth stretching with elastique sounds ringy/metallic and the grainy stretching with soundtouch sounds wobbly and the grains kind of not uniformly spaced.

Don't know if this can be improved by tweaking the existing modes or is rather accomplished by adding new algorithms but I really hope that at some point these sounds will be achievable with Reaper's native stretching and I figured I'll post it now that creative timestretching is in focus.

I like the new fft stretch algorithm, it's not for clean and usual time stretching but more for sound design.
But it's my dream to have a nice granular algorithm in Reaper with adjustable grain size like fast windowed, or even better if we can do it in real-time and automate it like in Ableton. Grain size is very important because it's relative to stretch time and should be changed accordingly.
Soundtouch sounds better than fast windowed but it has 3 grain sizes only, so there's not much control in there.

Some of my tests with Fast windowed: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...0&postcount=26

Ableton example and how useful it would be: https://mega.nz/file/QroiEDYL#kISWxz...Bsw9o6_6fC7lYg
Vagelis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 10:20 AM   #17
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Which one(s)?
I've used the ones in Logic. The first (smooth) one they just call "Polyphonic" and I am not sure which algorithm it is based on. But it sounds very clean for long stretches and doesn't mess the transient up. Would be really nice to have something similar in Reaper but I can see how that can be a challenge to find/license/write or whatever procedure is necessary.

The second (grainy) mode is pretty common though. In Logic they call it "Tempophone", but it is just an Akai style cyclic stretching mode. I really hope that we can get at least something like that in Reaper. Don't think it is too complicated to make as many vst samplers come with it (TAL sampler offers it with a grain density control for example).
Old 04-27-2022, 10:29 AM   #18
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Soundtouch sounds better than fast windowed but it has 3 grain sizes only, so there's not much control in there.
Yes, in my experience simple windowed has a similar granularity to what we desire but sounds like it has been severly SR/Bit reduced to the point of being unusable and SoundTouch (HQ) does sound better quality-wise but the grains sound too unsteady, for the lack of a better word.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:42 AM   #19
HighVoltage

+ Render: improve render speed when rendering stems or regions via master [p=2551835]

Thanks for looking into this!

Found the following problem:

If i'm rendering 'Track A' that has a send to 'Track X', all the tracks will still be processed that also has sends to Track X.

Reproduction:
Track A has no processing
Track B has heavy processing
Both send to Track X

If i render Track A through master, speed will be bottlenecked by Track B for no reason.
If i bypass the send on Track A, and render through master, speed is still slow. Only if i remove the send will the render speed up.
Curiously if i enable send on Track A, but bypass send on Track B, and render Track A, speed is fast again.

Anyway i don't think every other track should be rendered that's routed to the same send, since you don't want their leakage into the sends anyhow.

Still much better on certain tracks, so thanks
HighVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 12:12 PM   #20
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewayout View Post
Also Found in Version .55-56 I cannot open LOCKED item FX without unlocking it...Any workaround for this?

Thanks again for all the hard work Everyone!!

Jeff

FOUND SOLUTION: Right-Click FX button to open desired Item FX (-:
Nope Sorry Not the solution...if the item is locked I cannot access FX without unlocking it...
Old 04-27-2022, 12:26 PM   #21
Klangfarben

Quote:
Can you give an example? I don't mean to nitpick, and all of the bug reports are super valuable, but is it actually typical to run an action while literally in the middle of dragging something with the mouse?

[adding] just to be extra clear, bug reports are great and please post all bug reports! I only mentioned the prioritization to manage expectations about which bugs are more likely to get addressed first.
Not nitpicking at all. So here's a couple very basic examples. You split some items and want to drag one of them and while you are dragging want to change zoom settings to either move the item to an area not currently on the screen or to move it to a location more precisely. In that case, it would be normal to trigger a zoom action while you are dragging. A second example would be a similar situation where you are dragging an item and want to change ripple editing on/off. Yes, both of these things could be done while not dragging before or after the fact, but when you are trying to move quickly, they often happen at the same time.

And no need to explain yourself on the priority. I just wanted to point out the case in question wasn't such an oddball thing.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 01:14 PM   #22
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
+ Render: improve render speed when rendering stems or regions via master
This is great! Thanks devs! This will help tremendously when rendering final stems for clients after the mix is done.

Now this is also worth of looking at:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post

Thanks for looking into this!

Found the following problem:

If i'm rendering 'Track A' that has a send to 'Track X', all the tracks will still be processed that also has sends to Track X.

Reproduction:
Track A has no processing
Track B has heavy processing
Both send to Track X

If i render Track A through master, speed will be bottlenecked by Track B for no reason.
If i bypass the send on Track A, and render through master, speed is still slow. Only if i remove the send will the render speed up.
Curiously if i enable send on Track A, but bypass send on Track B, and render Track A, speed is fast again.

Anyway i don't think every other track should be rendered that's routed to the same send, since you don't want their leakage into the sends anyhow.

Still much better on certain tracks, so thanks
Old 04-27-2022, 01:25 PM   #23
GeneralMidi

Quote:
Dragging an item and during the drag, you want to turn off snapping.
GeneralMidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 01:45 PM   #24
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralMidi View Post
Dragging an item and during the drag, you want to turn off snapping.
First thought: I'd hold a modifier down to get "ignoring snap" to do that
Old 04-27-2022, 09:34 PM   #25
lachinhan

I detected a render error from the 6.56 official version to the current dev version. Its Source: Select Track Via Master, it will render ignoring all FX effects in Master Track.
lachinhan is offline   Reply With Quote