Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-28-2021, 04:44 PM   #1
davidnv
Human being with feelings

Default Trying to record keyboard output thru PreSonus to Reaper

PROBLEM SOLVED - THANK YOU ALL FOR THE ASISTANCE!

Hi - First of all, I'm a recent newbie to Reaper (using the Commala_5 theme) and am really grateful for this forum.

To my amazement I was able to connect my Yamaha Montage keyboard via MIDI output to Reaper (via MacBook Pro) AND interface with Omnisphere AND actually get it to successfully record.

Here's my problem though:

My Yamaha Montage keyboard has some cool sounds that I'd like to record using Reaper. Rather than using MIDI (which I don't think would work) I'm running my Yamaha keyboard output thru a PreSonus audio interface which is connected to my Mac. In my Mac settings, I have PreSonus selected. In Reaper, somehow I managed to configure things so that I'm getting good meter activity when the record button is armed and I'm pressing keys so I know I'm ALMOST there. The problem is that when I try to record all I'm getting is a flat line and no sound through my headphones or computer speakers.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!

Last edited by davidnv; 12-03-2021 at 04:24 AM.
davidnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 04:49 PM   #2
Wallaby

Default Record Input

In the track near the record button appears after pushing that record button some other buttons, one is the record selection.
Select Record Input Audio/Midi (by default it is probably set to record output (in this case the monitoring button must set to ON).
There you go, I hope it works
Wallaby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:36 PM   #3
davidnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
In the track near the record button appears after pushing that record button some other buttons, one is the record selection.
Select Record Input Audio/Midi (by default it is probably set to record output (in this case the monitoring button must set to ON).
There you go, I hope it works
Thanks. Still getting meter activity when i press keys but no sound or recording waveform. Right clicking on the record-arm button opens a window where i have selected 'Record Input (Audio or Midi)' as you suggested. Also in that window I have checkmarked 'monitor input', monitor track media when recording', and 'input: stereo'.

Any ideas?
Old 11-29-2021, 04:21 AM   #4
domzy

mic privacy permissions?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:49 AM   #5
davidnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
mic privacy permissions?
I think that only for Windows. I'm Mac.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:58 AM   #6
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnv View Post
I think that only for Windows. I'm Mac.
Think again!
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:45 AM   #7
davidnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Think again!
Mac has mic privacy permissions settings? Where would I find that?
Old 11-29-2021, 09:55 AM   #8
Stella645

https://www.google.com/search?q=mac+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 11-29-2021, 03:30 PM   #9
davidnv

Quote:
Thanks. I see that Reaper is already authorized to use mic.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:49 AM   #10
Stella645

SO to clarify how you are doing this. You have a track for midi that is triggering the keyboard OK.
You have another track that is for audio, it's input is set to stereo.

Is this the only input option? Are there multiple ins perhaps not labelled as you would expect?
Before you try to record you say you can see meters but not hear anything....have you enabled the record monitoring?
Old 11-30-2021, 04:51 AM   #11
Dr Bob

Also, remember the MIDI activity is shown in the meters with the red line. Are you seeing AUDIO activity in the meter?

dB
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 04:23 PM   #12
davidnv

Quote:
SO to clarify how you are doing this. You have a track for midi that is triggering the keyboard OK.
You have another track that is for audio, it's input is set to stereo.

Is this the only input option? Are there multiple ins perhaps not labelled as you would expect?
Before you try to record you say you can see meters but not hear anything....have you enabled the record monitoring?
Thanks. I'm not setting up 1 project with 1 MIDI track and 1 audio track. I already figured out how to set up and record MIDI from my Yamaha (interfacing with Omnisphere). So that works fine now and is not a problem.

What I am doing now is routing from my Yamaha mono audio output to Presonus to Mac (via USB-C cable). As I mentioned, when i try to record I'm getting good VU meter activity when i press the Yamaha keys (so everything good so far) but i'm only getting a flat audio line and no sound through my headphones or Mac. So i'm trying to figure out the last part.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:25 PM   #13
davidnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
Also, remember the MIDI activity is shown in the meters with the red line. Are you seeing AUDIO activity in the meter?

dB
Thanks. I'm partially color blind. Are there two different VU meter colors - one for midi and another for audio?
Old 11-30-2021, 10:12 PM   #14
bigtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnv View Post
Hi - First of all, I'm a recent newbie to Reaper (using the Commala_5 theme) and am really grateful for this forum.

To my amazement I was able to connect my Yamaha Montage keyboard via MIDI output to Reaper (via MacBook Pro) AND interface with Omnisphere AND actually get it to successfully record.

Here's my problem though:

My Yamaha Montage keyboard has some cool sounds that I'd like to record using Reaper. Rather than using MIDI (which I don't think would work) I'm running my Yamaha keyboard output thru a PreSonus audio interface which is connected to my Mac. In my Mac settings, I have PreSonus selected. In Reaper, somehow I managed to configure things so that I'm getting good meter activity when the record button is armed and I'm pressing keys so I know I'm ALMOST there. The problem is that when I try to record all I'm getting is a flat line and no sound through my headphones or computer speakers.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!
https://youtu.be/uUeAK07Ia8Y

You may find this useful
With local control off you can set up a hardware send in your MIDI track thus treating your keyboard as a sound module
Create an audio track and record the output from the keyboard module via the presonus

Perhaps that'll work

Good luck
Old 11-30-2021, 11:37 PM   #15
davidnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtop View Post
https://youtu.be/uUeAK07Ia8Y

You may find this useful
With local control off you can set up a hardware send in your MIDI track thus treating your keyboard as a sound module
Create an audio track and record the output from the keyboard module via the presonus

Perhaps that'll work

Good luck
Thanks. What I'm trying to do is avoid using my Yamaha MIDI info altogether by feeding it's 1/4 inch jack audio output to the Presonus which then feeds into my Mac which then becomes the sound source for Reaper recordings. This should be no different than plugging a guitar or a mic into the Presonus and feeding it to the Mac/ Reaper. Problem is: Reaper's giving me good VU meter indications but isn't actually recording the audio signal on the track. I can't hear the audio signal either.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:51 PM   #16
bigtop

Are you getting any sound if you plug your phones into the keyboard. Is your keyboard making any sound?
Are you hearing sound if you plug your headphones into your presonus?
Old 12-01-2021, 06:57 PM   #17
davidnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtop View Post
Are you getting any sound if you plug your phones into the keyboard. Is your keyboard making any sound?
Are you hearing sound if you plug your headphones into your presonus?
Yes. Sound coming from keyboard headphone jack and also coming from PreSonus headphone jack.
Old 12-02-2021, 02:43 AM   #18
Stella645

You didn't answer these questions.

Quote:
Before you try to record you say you can see meters but get no sound....have you enabled the record monitor?
Though you have since said you can hear sound through the presonus headphone out so seems to contradict the no sound you mentioned previously.

Maybe you could take a short gif showing the metering and the input selection and upload somewhere we can view it (imgur etc)

Here's a simple capture utility if you don't have one.

https://www.cockos.com/licecap/
Old 12-02-2021, 05:51 AM   #19
davidnv

Quote:
You didn't answer these questions.

Though you have since said you can hear sound through the presonus headphone out so seems to contradict the no sound you mentioned previously.

Maybe you could take a short gif showing the metering and the input selection and upload somewhere we can view it (imgur etc)

Here's a simple capture utility if you don't have one.

https://www.cockos.com/licecap/
Success! I started things up this morning and was getting ready to record a little video of what's going on in my setup to show you - and before I had a chance to change any of the settings, I went to play a few notes to see if problem was still persisting and lo and behold - I was able to hear my Yamaha notes (through the PreSonus headphone jack). The VU meter works AND the audio is recording properly AND listening back to the recorded audio through the Presonus headphone jack is also working. So this is great! Not sure why it's working today and why it was acting the way it was. I'll try a few tests to see if I can get it to act the way it was acting - just so I'll know next time not to set it up that way again. Anyway - thanks so much for your assistance. Much appreciated!
Old 12-02-2021, 06:29 AM   #20
Dr Bob

Good! I do think you were only seeing the MIDI data activity via your USB.

You needed to feed the audio out of your keyboard to audio in on the interface, set reaper up to record that input.

Hope that makes sense

dB
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 02:53 AM   #21
bigtop

Glad it worked out
Pls edit thread title as solved
Old 12-03-2021, 04:22 AM   #22
davidnv

Quote: