Old 06-10-2018, 05:34 PM   #801
Diki Ross
Human being with feelings

Still hoping that imported MIDI, when exploded to different tracks by channel, has Reaper auto assign the correct input and output channel to a default device...

And that editing that track, automatically makes pencil and display tools auto assign to the track's MIDI channel.
Diki Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:37 PM   #802
MRMJP

I really hope Justin/Schwa consider adding a dedicated mastering mode similar to Studio One V4 but with more advanced mastering focused features like the WaveLab montage.

I love REAPER for what it is and most of the mastering process but all the scripts in the world can't solve what needs to happen for REAPER to become the ultimate all-in-one mastering DAW for Mac and PC which it's fairly close to being even as it sits now.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #803
Luster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
I really hope Justin/Schwa consider adding a dedicated mastering mode similar to Studio One V4 but with more advanced mastering focused features like the WaveLab montage.
Do you really believe that something so sophisticated and special (=not a broad mass of users want this) will be implemented? I mean, there are many legit FRs that are easier to implement and still we wait for years. Don't want to discourage you.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #804
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luster View Post
Do you really believe that something so sophisticated and special (=not a broad mass of users want this) will be implemented? I mean, there are many legit FRs that are easier to implement and still we wait for years. Don't want to discourage you.
I don't believe it actually, but it doesn't hurt to express interest. In my handful of other threads, others have given many +1 replies. Mastering is a smaller niche community than general recording/mixing/production so I get that requests like this are not as common as others. Haven't we had enough MIDI/automation update yet

However, since REAPER is already fairly close to being a great all-in-one mastering DAW, I think it'd be wise for them to take it all the way.

I'm OK with using my two app approach (REAPER/WaveLab) but there is a segment of mastering folks who want to use one app, and would pay a lot for it. Sequoia and SADIE are pretty expensive, and some even think WaveLab is expensive.

Obviously, the mastering focused DAWs are priced higher because they have a much smaller user base than a normal multitrack DAW so that is to be expected to cover development and maintenance costs.

I'm just trying to make Cockos aware of what they could be doing for a segment of engineers that don't have a definitive cross-platform mastering DAW. From reading the mastering forums, many people are Frankenstiening two or more apps, not because they are cheap but for workflow reasons that I think REAPER is closest to overcoming of them all.

Nobody has really nailed it yet, especially for the modern hybrid digital/analog/digital approach as well as keeping up on all the metadata entry etc. Some apps are good at one thing or another thing but especially for MacOS users, we have to Frankenstien a workflow or suffer working slowly in some aspect of the process.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #805
drichard

I think you might be surprised how many mastering engineers are switching to Reaper. It has become a very popular mastering tool. Recently on Gearslutz there was a poll on which mastering tool Mastering Engineers are using, and when I last checked Reaper was leading the poll. People love the Render Queue and the customization features, among others.

While I'm not a mastering engineer, I do master and release my own CDs, and I would really appreciate better mastering features. And I think everyone (not just ME's) would appreciate MP3 ID tags and easier / better metadata capabilities.

Quote:
drichard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #806
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
I think you might be surprised how many mastering engineers are switching to Reaper. It has become a very popular mastering tool. Recently on Gearslutz there was a poll on which mastering tool Mastering Engineers are using, and when I last checked Reaper was leading the poll. People love the Render Queue and the customization features, among others.

While I'm not a mastering engineer, I do master and release my own CDs, and I would really appreciate better mastering features. And I think everyone (not just ME's) would appreciate MP3 ID tags and easier / better metadata capabilities.
It really has grown in popularity but unless you are mastering projects every day, you might not realize what REAPER is missing in terms of hyper-focused mastering features. If you master just single songs, or only a few projects per year or less, maybe REAPER is OK for you right now.

Yes, some with advanced scripting/coding skills have come up with some workarounds for their specific workflow but the average professional mastering engineer looking for the right software is not going be up for these kids of tasks, or rely on a bunch of 3rd party scripts that could break at any moment and cause a real disruption to workflow.

I gave REAPER 3 tries before it even seemed possible and I'm glad I kept at it. Mike Kalajian mentioned he was using it for mastering so I thought I had to give it one more try and it finally clicked with me. However, even he has a ton of mastering focused requests and often uses another app for EP/album assembly and I believe even Jon Tidey (the REAPER Blog guy himself) prefers using HOFA for assembling final masters etc. REAPER is awesome at so many things but it does have a weakness in the mastering focused realm.

I've taken REAPER pretty far and had a ton of scripts made to make it more awesome, but I've hit a wall where at a certain point, I have to flip over to WaveLab to finish up each project.

Part of this is personal preference but I'm far from the only person doing this kind of workflow.

Last edited by MRMJP; 06-11-2018 at 02:57 PM.
MRMJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #807
DaveKeehl

I want reaper to be a karaoke daw
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #808
drichard

While not a mastering engineer, I would appreciate most or all of the features that you would find useful. I'm definitely in favor of expanding the mastering capabilities. Again, first on my list are MP3 ID tags and easier metadata entry, but a separate mastering mode is something I would use as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
It really has grown in popularity but unless you are mastering projects every day, you might not realize what REAPER is missing in terms of hyper-focused mastering features. If you master just single songs, or only a few projects per year or less, maybe REAPER is OK for you right now.

Yes, some with advanced scripting/coding skills have come up with some workarounds for their specific workflow but the average professional mastering engineer looking for the right software is not going be up for these kids of tasks, or rely on a bunch of 3rd party scripts that could break at any moment and cause a real disruption to workflow.

I gave REAPER 3 tries before it even seemed possible and I'm glad I kept at it. Mike Kalajian mentioned he was using it for mastering so I thought I had to give it one more try and it finally clicked with me. However, even he has a ton of mastering focused requests and often uses another app for EP/album assembly and I believe even Jon Tidey (the REAPER Blog guy himself) prefers using HOFA for assembling final masters etc. REAPER is awesome at so many things but it does have a weakness in the mastering focused realm.

I've taken REAPER pretty far and had a ton of scripts made to make it more awesome, but I've hit a wall where at a certain point, I have to flip over to WaveLab to finish up each project.

Part of this is personal preference but I'm far from the only person doing this kind of workflow.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:38 AM   #809
hopi

at long last plz make the moving of FX Browser folders drag and drop instead of the move up\down nonsense.... it's been WAY too LONG
Old 06-12-2018, 08:46 AM   #810
Pinknoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
at long last plz make the moving of FX Browser folders drag and drop instead of the move up\down nonsense.... it's been WAY too LONG
Agree. I quit reordering my plugins in those folders everytime I reinstall, or create a portable install it's all gone to waste. Better handling of copy/pasting actions/toolbar icons too.
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #811
mlprod

Quote:

This.
mlprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:48 AM   #812
DaveKeehl

It would also be nice if we could write tabs directly in the midi editor.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:54 PM   #813
drichard

It might be in Cockos best interest to invest some time to appeal to that market. Traditional studios need to use the industry standard (i.e. Pro Tools) so that they can interchange projects with other studios. But mastering engineers can choose whatever tool provides the best workflow without worrying about that. And the fact that so many ME's are switching to it shows it has tremendous appeal.

I realize Cockos/Reaper don't need to prove anything to anyone, but it adds credibility if it is being used in high end mastering studios, where fidelity and power are paramount. It would fight the too common perception that Reaper is aimed at low-end users.

Quote:
Old 06-12-2018, 02:18 PM   #814
barbaroja

Dang, I'd trade every single v6 feature for folders that act as VCA. (changing folder volume, changes children sends volumes)
barbaroja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:18 PM   #815
mlprod

Quote:
It might be in Cockos best interest to invest some time to appeal to that market. Traditional studios need to use the industry standard (i.e. Pro Tools) so that they can interchange projects with other studios. But mastering engineers can choose whatever tool provides the best workflow without worrying about that. And the fact that so many ME's are switching to it shows it has tremendous appeal.

I realize Cockos/Reaper don't need to prove anything to anyone, but it adds credibility if it is being used in high end mastering studios, where fidelity and power are paramount. It would fight the too common perception that Reaper is aimed at low-end users.
Well put, again.
mlprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:29 AM   #816
Skap

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaroja View Post
Dang, I'd trade every single v6 feature for folders that act as VCA. (changing folder volume, changes children sends volumes)
I mainly use Studio One, and it has got this feature. Never really used it (I use folders as busses and separate VCAs when needed) but now that you exlained it, it's pretty obvious how that could be useful to someone. I might try it out and leave busses as the separate channels, and see if it suits me.

Really looking forward to future versions of REAPER and what it could bring. I am so close to switching after 6 years with Studio One, finally realizing that it'll probably never be as flexible as REAPER (even though it does have some great tricks up its sleeve).
Skap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:33 AM   #817
vitalker

Quote:
If optionally, then of course.
SoundCloudFR: "Real" Non-destructive GLUEAll the REAPER names
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:34 AM   #818
Arionas

REAPER is almost the ALL-IN-ONE DAW.
I've switched to Reaper the last 8 months after working for more than 15 years with Cubase-Nuendo, Logic, Pro Tools 11 Native and lastly Studio One 3. Last month I started also to master in Reaper.
Trim automation, Mix knob on plugins, unlimited inserts & sends, unlimited scaled FREEZE, hundreds of useful actions for almost whatever you can imagine, Monitor section and the list goes on and on....
What could I wish more? For the moment I wish for:
(1) a little better "takes comping", (2) I will agree also on an easier VCA routing (as requested in previous posts), (3) ability to side-chain the master bus, (4) ability to drop a plugin on multiple selected tracks with one shot (this is not so much important), (5) as Justin MRMJP requested, an advanced workflow for mastering which it will make unnecessary to turn to Wavelab or whatever to finish the job.
Also I think "track playlists" implementation would be revolutionary for us Reaper users.

cheers to everyone
Arionas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:40 AM   #819
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
(3) ability to side-chain the master bus,
What do you mean by this?
SoundCloudFR: "Real" Non-destructive GLUEAll the REAPER names
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:30 PM   #820
barbaroja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skap View Post
I mainly use Studio One, and it has got this feature. Never really used it (I use folders as busses and separate VCAs when needed) but now that you exlained it, it's pretty obvious how that could be useful to someone. I might try it out and leave busses as the separate channels, and see if it suits me.

Really looking forward to future versions of REAPER and what it could bring. I am so close to switching after 6 years with Studio One, finally realizing that it'll probably never be as flexible as REAPER (even though it does have some great tricks up its sleeve).
Albeton Live also does it that way. You do not have to worry about folder structure when using sends. They just work without complex routing.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #821
Arionas

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
What do you mean by this?
As it is now, I cannot put (for example) a compressor on the master bus and trigger it from a channel track. The only workaround is to make a bus which will include all the tracks of the project and will behave as a "pre-mix bus". I would prefer to avoid this workaround.
Arionas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:16 PM   #822
fetidus

Quote:
Also I think "track playlists" implementation would be revolutionary for us Reaper users.
I would love this too.
fetidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:15 PM   #823
barbaroja

Quote:
As it is now, I cannot put (for example) a compressor on the master bus and trigger it from a channel track. The only workaround is to make a bus which will include all the tracks of the project and will behave as a "pre-mix bus". I would prefer to avoid this workaround.
It can be done with workarounds.

1. Create a track that sits in the first level, not under a folder. Tell that track to send to parent 3-4, in routing options.

2. Send whatever channel you need to send sidechain to the track created in step 1.

3. Enjoy.

Still I like your idea better. I see no reason why not to send directly to master track? Maybe to avoid weird latency/feedback stuff?
Old 06-14-2018, 06:32 PM   #824
Arionas

Quote:
It can be done with workarounds.

1. Create a track that sits in the first level, not under a folder. Tell that track to send to parent 3-4, in routing options.

2. Send whatever channel you need to send sidechain to the track created in step 1.

3. Enjoy.

Still I like your idea better. I see no reason why not to send directly to master track? Maybe to avoid weird latency/feedback stuff?
I also like your idea. I have to try it. Thanks
Old 06-17-2018, 12:54 AM   #825
Arionas

I would appreciate very much if the Docker could "remember" the latest size for each different window docked. For example: At the right side of my monitor I have docked the "master track" and the "fx browser". By default I have the master track. When I'm going to use the fx browser, I drag it to the left to become a bigger window in order to see the 2 lists for the plugins. After I choose the plugin that I wand to use, I press again the master track tab, to bring again the default view but what happens is that the master track now, stays with the size of the previous extended fx browser. And vice versa.
This in a daily base is a bit annoying.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:40 AM   #826
Luster

@Arionas

Do you use screensets already? You could get them work to work for you in a way to circumvent the problem you described. Just an idea.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:35 PM   #827
Arionas

Quote:
@Arionas

Do you use screensets already? You could get them work to work for you in a way to circumvent the problem you described. Just an idea.
Actually I use screensets in order to flip the mixer and the arrange window between my 2 monitors but I didn't have think of that! Excellent idea, thank you!
Old 06-30-2018, 05:22 AM   #828
MEHRZAD-TUNGSTEN

Default please design

A chord track with chord assistant....
better than studio one and cubase
MEHRZAD-TUNGSTEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:27 AM   #829
drummerboy

Quote:
(4) ability to drop a plugin on multiple selected tracks with one shot (this is not so much important)
This is possible if you add FX via shortcut.
drummerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:58 PM   #830
ReaperMadness

Default Theme Save with Project

Saving a particular theme along with project. So project "X", saved in Imperial, opens in Imperial, project "Y", saved while in Abbey Road, opens in Abbey Road, etc.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:06 PM   #831
dupont

Quote:
yes, I have to add an extra bus to route all the tracksinside if I want to side chain a compressor.
That's not possible to do straight to the the master buss.
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:04 PM   #832
mschnell

It seems not to be possible to route an audio or midi stream to the additional channels / Midi-Buses of the Master Track's FX chain.

This sometimes indeed would be helpful.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 07-07-2018 at 07:01 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:46 AM   #833
Edi

Simply Ableton Link implementation. That's it.
Edi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:07 AM   #834
Harry Diddlebock

O REAPER 6.0, when are thou, o REAPER 6.0
Old 07-07-2018, 11:31 AM   #835
dupont

automation item in midi editor
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:22 AM   #836
Flavio

Default Web interface

Please keep the web interface compatibility!
:-)
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:27 AM   #837
C-H

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont View Post
automation item in midi editor
C-H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:20 PM   #838
Yish313

having the ability to select 1 input (with effects) as an input on any channel

It is the only thing that has ever stopped me from using Reaper for recording full time. i use mic models, cab modelers, compression etc going in and the idea of have to slide each recorded track(which can be over 50) to a new track is not efficient at all
Yish313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:44 PM   #839
crunchyoverseas

Default Full Album Burn Management

track id, fading in and out options, secret tracks, the works!
crunchyoverseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:52 PM   #840
crunchyoverseas

Default no thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiman007 View Post
Please don't Justin. I know midi is old but some of use use the heck out of it.
I use the heck out of midi...if it aint broke dont fix it...
crunchyoverseas is offline   Reply With Quote