Old 09-29-2011, 08:30 PM   #41
audioguytodd
Human being with feelings

I have thanked the people involved a few times, but here it is again: THANK YOU!!!!

Moderators- Once again, please give this a Sticky
Old 10-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #42
Jeronimo

Guys, I have a question:

When I'm in SEND+ mode, where the sends are on the fader, I can't write the moves I do with the fader... did I make myself clear? I mean, I move the fader to "send" more or less to my delay i.e. but it doesn't get written... doesn't matter if I'm in touch or write.
Any ideas? Is it like this on PC too? (I'm on a mac by the way)
Thanks!!!
Old 10-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #43
Jeronimo

Another thing...

Is there a way to record automation for the MUTES using the Alpha?
Old 10-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #44
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeronimo View Post
Guys, I have a question:

When I'm in SEND+ mode, where the sends are on the fader, I can't write the moves I do with the fader... did I make myself clear? I mean, I move the fader to "send" more or less to my delay i.e. but it doesn't get written... doesn't matter if I'm in touch or write.
Any ideas? Is it like this on PC too? (I'm on a mac by the way)
Thanks!!!
I tried this too for you (but on PC) and found the same, sends work in the first send mode but only on the rotary dials (not in flip mode or send + mode). I also found the pre/post fader selector didn't work either.

-tried your mute thing too but that doesn't work on any controller so it's not just the alphatrack. I think it's a setting perhaps, not sure..
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #45
musicbynumbers

Default REAeq mod bug: causing GUI and CPU problems with "realtime TCP" active

Hi guys

I turned "realtime TCP" back on today to see if it caused issues with GUI freezing and CPU overload as I LOVE have touch sensitive fader and rotaries for automation and the good news is I no longer have slowdown when using the plugin mode for automation! BUT..

..The EQ mode (for reaEQ) now causes the same massive slowdown the plugin mode use to have.

I forget if we have been down this road before though!

be willing to donate for fix!
Old 10-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #46
Jeronimo

What's the deal with TCP?? You lost me on this one!!!

Yeah, writing automation for the sends with the fader would be AWSOME!!!!

DO you think the MUTE thing is a configuration? Where? In Reaper itself right? 'cause I don't see how it would be on the plugin...
Old 10-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #47
RuairiAU

Hey guys,

Realtime TCP will cause issues as it's a hack. At the time of writing the plugin, the API did not have any way to call a redraw of the TCP so I wrote a method (read hack) that would call a command (an item from the list when you press ?) that as a side effect would cause the TCP to redraw.

As far as automating sends, I do believe I tried this at the time and it just didn't work. I'm not infront of my machine to confirm, but I do remember something along those lines.

However, have you guys tried tried changing to 'AUTO' mode, adding a send envelope and trying to record the automation that way? See if it works.

I might get my dev environment back up and running and have a look at this as I'm not happy with how automation works in general.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #48
Jeronimo

I tried it all:
- touch
- write
- viewing the automation lane, and watching when nothing happens

I think, when in touch mode, when you flip pan to the fader, it doesn't work either.

Who am I to ask anything, since you guys ALREADY made my life so much easier with my Alpha working almost perfectly... but if you do this RuairiAU, I'll love you forever

You and SWS already did a lot for us!
Old 10-11-2011, 02:34 AM   #49
musicbynumbers

I too can give you my love forever Ruair!

It would be amazing to have the touch stuff working for automation now we reaper 4 to hopefully make it easier for you.

Look forward to testing it!
Old 10-11-2011, 03:12 AM   #50
RuairiAU

OK, I'm back home and I've had a play with it. I can see that when the Automation mode is set to write/latch and the send is flipped to using the fader, then it doesn't write the automation.

Are there any other issues or is this it?

Anyhoo, I don't have much time to look into this, but here's a workaround:

1) Click AUTO on the alphatrack
2) Turn Rotor 1 (Mode) to Write/Latch
3) In Reaper, select the envelope you want and arm it.
4) Press play and go nuts on the fader (yes thats right, the fader)
5) ???
6) Profit.

Flip mode will toggle between the fader adjusting the current envelope or the last touched FX.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:43 AM   #51
Jeronimo

Here, on the Mac version, if I follow your guide, nothing happens...
BUT:
If I follow your guide AND switch back from the AUTO page to the PAN page, press flip and move the fader, it works... the pan writes ok, BUT it erases the volume automation
Old 10-11-2011, 06:19 AM   #52
musicbynumbers

will try later thanks!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #53
RuairiAU

I can't get that fader for the send working as it appears to be a limitation in the API. I've raised a bug for it, we just gotta see what the Reaper guys have to say about it.

See http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3682
Old 10-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #54
Jeronimo

I've already "marked" the bug there thanks!!!!
Old 10-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #55
musicbynumbers

who's responsible for the secret message then?

"get your dirty hands off my baby!"

do I win anything for finding it or has it been discussed before? lol
Old 10-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #56
NandyC

Hey man - congratulations!! You just won a free mixer panel of your choice for Rock Solid!!

PM me your requirements and I will rattle it off for you ASAP!
NandyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #57
musicbynumbers

Woo hoo! cool!

Will have a think about it and get back to you but it maybe a week or so, I think you need a rest anyway! Lol

One thing I will definitely need if possible is horizontal sliders for pan and width since touchscreens don't work with reaper knobs properly yet plus much more satisfying to touch

Will PM You at some point!
Old 10-16-2011, 07:18 AM   #58
RuairiAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post

One thing I will definitely need if possible is horizontal sliders for pan and width since touchscreens don't work with reaper knobs properly yet plus much more satisfying to touch
Can't you do this with the midi mode A and B thing that NandyC added? I could have swore that the touch strip is bindable as a midi cc event when in this mode ( press pan/ auto twice).
Old 10-16-2011, 09:01 AM   #59
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuairiAU View Post
Can't you do this with the midi mode A and B thing that NandyC added? I could have swore that the touch strip is bindable as a midi cc event when in this mode ( press pan/ auto twice).
Thanks will try but I mean more for the visual side of the touchscreens so I have a pan/width as a horizontal slider for each channel on the screen
Old 10-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #60
phillystylec

Default Lion install?

would anyone be willing to share how they installed this in Reaper v4 on Lion?

The instructions are for a PC. I've put the dylib file in the library\plugin folder but it won't appear in the reaper control surface menu.

Much appreciated.
phillystylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #61
sws
Code Monkey

Try ~/Library/Application Data/Reaper/User Plugins/.

Tim
sws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #62
phillystylec

Default Found it

For some reason it wasn't there either (I'm on lion).

Right click on reaper in Applications, show contents, plugins, paste....

This little app is fantastic! Thank you very much!
phillystylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:21 AM   #63
bharris

This is fantastic - thanks for all of the hard work.

One question - I am having trouble using midi learn in the FX Parameter box to assign encoders to some guitar VSTs such as Guitar Rig 4 and Amplitube 3. I click the VST knob I would like to control, click the FX parameter box/midi learn, and then move one of the encoders but nothing gets assigned - the "command" box stays blank. Has anyone else had this issue? Thank you in advance for your help!
bharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:02 AM   #64
musicbynumbers

The alphatrack assignable bits our done via the action window.

If I understand you right, I don't believe the this version has "that" kind of midi assign but it goes one better I think

If you assign the wanted parameters to track controls then press the plugin button twice your get a list of the parameters assigned to that track (the ones that show up on the mixer if you have it enable in the mixer view options.

You can add as many as you want here (scroll through them with F1 and F2) and even "flip" them to the fader too.

I also have set up the "B set" (press auto twice) to have the action "last touch parameter" assigned to the fader, the touch strip and a rotary encoder too which gives me instant fun over any last touched knob

To top it of, both in plug in mode and "B set" I also have assigned (through the action window) F3 to "set last touch parameter to track control" and F4 to toggle between read and touch modes. (note: the names of actions are just from memory)

All good! any questions?

I recommend the manual! lol It's very powerful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris View Post
This is fantastic - thanks for all of the hard work.

One question - I am having trouble using midi learn in the FX Parameter box to assign encoders to some guitar VSTs such as Guitar Rig 4 and Amplitube 3. I click the VST knob I would like to control, click the FX parameter box/midi learn, and then move one of the encoders but nothing gets assigned - the "command" box stays blank. Has anyone else had this issue? Thank you in advance for your help!
Old 10-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #65
bharris

Sorry - still trying to get the hang of this. How do I "assign the wanted parameters to track controls?". For example, if I have Guitar Rig 4 on a track, and one of the knobs when I open this VST is "gain", how would I assign the gain knob to a track control?

Thanks for your patience and your help!
Old 10-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #66
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris View Post
Sorry - still trying to get the hang of this. How do I "assign the wanted parameters to track controls?". For example, if I have Guitar Rig 4 on a track, and one of the knobs when I open this VST is "gain", how would I assign the gain knob to a track control?

Thanks for your patience and your help!
Not near reaper now to remember exact names but in most Vsts you move the knob once, go to parameter control at top right of plugin window and select "show in track controls" from the drop down window, this should now show this in the arrange page track panel for that track andnalso the mixer of You have it tick in the mixers right click menu.

To show these in the alphatrack, press plugin twice.

As for native instruments plugins like guitar rig, that's different..

You have to first assign the parameter within guitar rig to it's own automation number, you can right click it I think or go to automation list within plugin on the left side then follow the above

Should work then.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #67
bharris

Thanks! Will definitely try this later tonight or tomorrow.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #68
statik.regimen

Default Track selection

Hi all... First, huge thanks and kudos for this plugin! I wouldn't have bought an AlphaTrack, if it wasn't for this, and in my first hours of playing with it, I can tell this is going to seriously speed up my workflow

However, I am noticing one slightly odd behavior and was hoping for some insight (or maybe this will turn out to be a bug report that can be fixed in later versions).

When I select a track, either via the buttons or encoder, the track is highlighted, the fader updates, mute/solo/etc all update no problem... I can fully control the track, from the alphatrack no problems - just as expected. The problem is, Reaper doesn't see it as the actually SELECTED track. So, for instance, I want to assign F1, on the alphatrack, to open the FX chain window - easy. However, it will always open it for the wrong track - which ever track Reaper sees as actually selected; not the track that is highlighted and being controlled by the AlphaTrack.

Hopefully that makes sense I may just be doing something wrong, but not sure. And yes, I read the manual but do not see any info about this...

Thanks in advance for your time, and again for this awesome plugin!!
statik.regimen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #69
Steve Folta

Quote:
Originally Posted by statik.regimen View Post
When I select a track, either via the buttons or encoder, the track is highlighted, the fader updates, mute/solo/etc all update no problem... I can fully control the track, from the alphatrack no problems - just as expected. The problem is, Reaper doesn't see it as the actually SELECTED track. So, for instance, I want to assign F1, on the alphatrack, to open the FX chain window - easy. However, it will always open it for the wrong track - which ever track Reaper sees as actually selected; not the track that is highlighted and being controlled by the AlphaTrack.
Maybe try setting up a custom action for F1:

Code:
  Track: Select last touched track
  Track: View FX chain for current track
Steve Folta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #70
Jeronimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by statik.regimen View Post
Hi all... First, huge thanks and kudos for this plugin! I wouldn't have bought an AlphaTrack, if it wasn't for this, and in my first hours of playing with it, I can tell this is going to seriously speed up my workflow

However, I am noticing one slightly odd behavior and was hoping for some insight (or maybe this will turn out to be a bug report that can be fixed in later versions).

Hopefully that makes sense I may just be doing something wrong, but not sure. And yes, I read the manual but do not see any info about this...

Thanks in advance for your time, and again for this awesome plugin!!
I think the problem is Reaper, doesn't really "follow" the Alphatrack selection... I might be wrong tho...

If you "scroll" thru the tracks, the screen doesn't follow... that means, the DAW is not following...
Old 01-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #71
statik.regimen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Folta View Post
Maybe try setting up a custom action for F1:

Code:
  Track: Select last touched track
  Track: View FX chain for current track
Thank you; this actually sort of works! I just have to literally touch the fader, and it updates the track selection. I'll play around with this some more, but this is good enough, either way!

EDIT: Of course, I did try just touching the fader, to see if that might always update the selection, but it doesn't - have to use that "select last touched track" for the trick to work

Last edited by statik.regimen; 01-10-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #72
statik.regimen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeronimo View Post
I think the problem is Reaper, doesn't really "follow" the Alphatrack selection... I might be wrong tho...

If you "scroll" thru the tracks, the screen doesn't follow... that means, the DAW is not following...
To be sure, I decided also to post about this here: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3874
Old 01-13-2012, 01:33 AM   #73
RuairiAU

I'll have a look at it tonight and hopefully see what's going on and if there's a solution. It may end up being a limitation, the API is designed around the idea of having a multi input device that can control all the faders - the Alphatrack is just using one at a time; so track selection isn't really applicable.

In the meantime, have a play with the Plug-in section. That lets you quickly adjust FX on the track.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #74
statik.regimen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuairiAU View Post
I'll have a look at it tonight and hopefully see what's going on and if there's a solution. It may end up being a limitation, the API is designed around the idea of having a multi input device that can control all the faders - the Alphatrack is just using one at a time; so track selection isn't really applicable.

In the meantime, have a play with the Plug-in section. That lets you quickly adjust FX on the track.
Thanks a lot! I do use the plugin section a lot (as much as possible), but it's not Jesus...lol! Some plugins (mainly synths/drum machines) just have far too many parameters to scroll through...Then some parameters in certain plugins I use often, for reasons I do not understand, wont let me adjust them via the surface (e.g. Synth1 - http://www.kvraudio.com/product/214, if you want to see what I mean). So it is handy to be able to quickly tap a button, to pull up the plugin chain.

Additionally, since we can have 8 function buttons for each section, there's a lot of really clever ways one could use the many various "for current track" bindings that Reaper offers, to spruce up a workflow and ween themselves off the mouse

Anyway, thanks again for your help and for this plugin! If you can't do anything for it, no biggie - it's still epic just the way it is

Last edited by statik.regimen; 01-15-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #75
RuairiAU

Firstly, sorry for the delay, been a busy week.

Ok, I've had a quick look at it. It seems there is a difference between "Selected Track(s)" and "Current Track". I cannot see any way to set the "Current Track" via the API; that's not a definitive no, just that I can't figure it out.

However, there are a few solutions to your initial problem. You could bind the Function key to the SWS command "SWS/S&M: Show FX chain for selected tracks (FX 1)"

or

Click plug-in (as I mentioned earlier) and touch, rotate and click the first encoder. Use the "FX Display Mode" setting in Control surface settings to adjust the display - I prefer Float.

or (I like this one - it's good if a plugin has too many parameters and you want to cut it down to just the good ones)

Pick out your favourite FX paramaters and add them as Track Parameters. Then double click the Plug-in button on the AlphaTrack to tinker with them quickly. You can view 3 at a time and page through them using F1 & F2; press FLIP to flip the last touched encoder to using the slider for more precision.

Not all plugins expose their parameters, there's nothing I can do about that. Maybe contact the author of them and see if they can fix it.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #76
statik.regimen

Thanks a lot... I haven't heard of SWS, but I see it now - definitely going to check that out. Thanks a lot for your time!

Is there any way I can buy you a beer?

UPDATE: The SWS addon is BRILLIANT! Now, not only is my F-button bound the way I want, but it toggles the window!!! AHHH! How did I know about this before!?

Last edited by statik.regimen; 01-16-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #77
Gerry P

RuairiAU, many thanks for your hard work with AlphaTrack Pro...I had my AlhaTrack in the closet and I found this thread today...and finally now, I can use it!

Very much appreciated...
Old 07-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #78
lowellben

First, let me say that you ROCK! This Alphatrack PRO plugin has literally changed my workflow. I'm beyond happy.

The only thing I'm confused about is that no matter what I do, I cannot find a way to get the Advanced Plug-in "Track FX" mode to work. I think I'm just not understanding how to actually use it. Can you give me an example of how to use it?

All I see is 3 slashes under the track name and "FX" - that's it.
I've tried adding FX to the track but they don't show up here. Are they supposed to?

That said, I have no problems using the other MIDI modes mapping parameters/FX, etc - but it's just the Advanced Plug-in / Track FX mode that I keep failing at. Can you help?

See below, this picture shows me what I constantly see no matter what FX or how many I have on a given track. Maybe I'm misunderstanding this mode? lol

Thanks so much!!

(this is the "advanced" plug-in mode TRACK FX where the yellow light flashes over the plug-in mode button)
Old 07-15-2012, 05:31 PM   #79
RuairiAU

@lowellben
This is one of my favourite "hidden" features. It displayes only the track parameters. Choose any FX, click the param bit at the top of the FX window and select show in track controls.

This is very handy for when you have a lot of parameters on a plugin (or multiple plugins) but you only want to tweak a few. Great for amp plugins, where you just want to tweak the gain.

Touching the rotor shows details of the parameter, holding the rotor down will allow you to adjust in precision mode. F1 and F2 page through the parameters in sets of 3.

Enjoy.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #80
lowellben

Hmm, ok I will try that now. I hope I can get it to work

Thanks!