Old 06-21-2018, 11:00 AM   #1
Harry Diddlebock
Human being with feelings

Default Batch MIDI Export Speed Questions

In REAPER 5.91, the importing of 20,000 mdi items into a track is very fast, about a minute (it seems and feels like it).
The exporting of one midi item from the Project Bay seems deceptively fast, about one second or less.

BUT the exporting of 20,000 mdi items from the Project Bay seems very slow, about 5.5 hours ( I don't really know for sure, I'm doing it now and still waiting)
I did it about 5 days ago as a test with 422 midi items and it didn't take hours.

But now, the math is 20,000 midi items multiplied by one second = 20,000 seconds. Again, that works out to be about 5.5 hours, if I got my math right.
These midi items are all in 4/4 and are all 4 beats long or one bar.

Is my computer totally to be blamed for the slow speed or is REAPER partly to blame?
Or am I doing something wrong?
My offline computer is run by Windows 7 and the BIOS screen states it was made in 2010. I remember It has 4 CPUs and 8GB RAM. I forget what the CPU speed is and can't look it up because the computer is busy with the task of saving the midi items.

Currently, I just presume I can't/won't compare other DAWs ro REAPER because those other DAW's evaluation methods seem to be a hassle.
Create an account, asks for your emai, not full version, etc.
With other DAWs, it's not a "just download it" process, right?

By the way, if the task takes 5.5 hours, I'm okay with that, since in the mean time I can do other things like play scrabble or ask possibly dumb questions in this forum.
But if I'm doing something wrong, and there's a way to speed things up easily then I would rather find out and maybe save even more time.

Okay, thanks very much in advance, no matter the outcome.
Harry Diddlebock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
Harry Diddlebock

Although REAPER could process 20,000 midi items very fast, like remove all the tom tom notes and transform all midi note length to 0.25 or a sixteenth note, although it could do that all that edits to midi items in about a minute, it's taking forever to export that much midi items.

It took REAPER 5.91 about 3 hours and 40 minutes to save 20,000 midi items to the desktop but now it's taking forever for REAPER to move the files from the desktop to the designated folder. I don't even know why REAPER has to save to the desktop first instead of directly to the designated folder.

It's been 1 hour and 35 minutes now, or a total of almost 5.5 hours, and it's still not done moving the midi items from the desktop. I can tolerate 5.5 hours but suppose I started this whole thing at suppertime then at some point I have to shut off the computer because its fan noise will keep me from sleeping properly. Also, it's probably driving up the electricity bill.

But if REAPER can't export 20,000 midi items faster, what other DAWs could?
Old 06-21-2018, 04:34 PM   #3
Harry Diddlebock

So, REAPER 5.91 just finished exporting 19,992 midi items. So, I found out the CPU speed of my computer. It's 2.4 GHz. So, now I have an idea of how long it takes to export 19,992 midi items... over 5 hours, close to the math. So, I can live with that. Okey dokey. So bye for now, y'all.