Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Video Editing/Mangling

Old 06-04-2019, 07:25 AM   #1
RCJacH
Human being with feelings

Default Spectrum Analyzer - How to add Slope & Smoothing

I'm trying to add spectrum analysis to a video, and found out the awesome preset "Synthesis: Decorative Spectrum Analyzer (requires JSFX video sample peeker)".

To make video looks nicer, I would like to expand the rendered look of the spectrum output display. The problem is that, being terrible at math, 150 lines of undocumented dsp goes through my head like air. Thus I come here for help.

The question is, is there a simple way to add Slope and Smoothing/Intergrate parameter to the preset? Or did anyone already modified this preset for such purpose? As an example, both parameters can be found in sai'ke's stunning and wonderful Spectral Analyzer(s).

An alternative method to approach this is to insert a JSFX prior to video sample peeker that averages the input signal being sent to the video processor, but again being a total noob in dsp, I did not really understand how to do so.
RCJacH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:10 AM   #2
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJacH View Post
I'm trying to add spectrum analysis to a video, and found out the awesome preset "Synthesis: Decorative Spectrum Analyzer (requires JSFX video sample peeker)".

To make video looks nicer, I would like to expand the rendered look of the spectrum output display. The problem is that, being terrible at math, 150 lines of undocumented dsp goes through my head like air. Thus I come here for help.

The question is, is there a simple way to add Slope and Smoothing/Intergrate parameter to the preset? Or did anyone already modified this preset for such purpose? As an example, both parameters can be found in sai'ke's stunning and wonderful Spectral Analyzer(s).

An alternative method to approach this is to insert a JSFX prior to video sample peeker that averages the input signal being sent to the video processor, but again being a total noob in dsp, I did not really understand how to do so.
Hello RCJacH,

there are only a few people who really do/did video processor scripting. So I'm afraid if your request isn't popular enough that the chance for help is low. I'm also not sure, what exactly you want. Could you make a screenshot or something that shows what you want to smooth?

Greetings
Eli
Old 06-10-2019, 08:03 AM   #3
RCJacH

Well here's an example of the current spectrum from video processor with gaussian noise as input:

Here's what's possible with JSFX through Sai'ke Analyzer:

And then with Span (with Slope 4.5):

I gave this feature request a few more thoughts recently.

1. Since Video Sample Peeker uses fixed position of gmem, parallel audio input is not possible. To access sample inputs from multiple sources, we need to modifier or create an alternative version of Video Sample Peeker to use designated positions of gmem. This is simple to do imo, just add a channel parameter that multiplies the starting position by the default.

2. The raw signal spikes too quickly for our eyes to understand its behavior in video, thus some sort of smoothing would be great. I haven't checked Sai'ke's code, but from the look of it, it's definitely possible and can be done through some sort of basic "coding" (copy-paste-edit). It's just a matter of understanding what to copy...

3. I haven't found any kind of slope option in jsfx spectrum analyzers so I can only make a guess that the slope is some sort of a multiplication after FFT?

4. After that maybe some display options, such as bars, lines, circular and such...but that's a bonus...
RCJacH is offline   Reply With Quote