Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 10-19-2018, 06:54 PM   #1
thunderbroom
Human being with feelings

Default Questions about esc key function & open window priority.

Let me explain. I recently moved to a 2 display setup, where my second display is a touch screen on my desktop for the mixer window. When I open a project, I then select View->Mixer, or (as I've set this up) I'll press F9 and it opens.

There are two issues I'd like to correct that I've noticed about this setup. First, if I am looping a section in a particular mix, when I hit the ESC key to remove the loop selection, it closes the open mixer window.

Second, the mix window takes priority over everything else - meaning if, for example, I open the FX window for a particular track, it opens behind the mixer - I need to minimize it and move it around to find what I just opened.

I guess I'm looking for some help to figure out if there's a better method to opening the mixer on the second display which allows me to open other windows on top of it, and if there's a way to disable the ESC key from closing the mixer window.

Hope these questions aren't convoluted. I'm not as familiar with the inner workings of Extensions or Actions so there might be some very easy solutions there that I'm not aware of. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated...even if it's simply to tell me specifically where I can find the answers to these issues. Thanks in advance for your help.
thunderbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:44 AM   #2
solger

Quote:
First, if I am looping a section in a particular mix, when I hit the ESC key to remove the loop selection, it closes the open mixer window.
In general, depending on the window focus the ESC key either closes the currently focused window or triggers the assigned Action.
So in this case the focus is probably still on the mixer window (and not on the Main window).

Possible options to try:
  • Clicking on the Main or Arrangement Window first before looping or pressing the ESC key - so the focus is on the Main Window
  • Or assigning a different Key Shortcut (than ESC) to the corresponding Action via the Action List - by default ESC is mapped to the Time selection: Remove time selection and loop points Action

Quote:
Second, the mix window takes priority over everything else - meaning if, for example, I open the FX window for a particular track, it opens behind the mixer - I need to minimize it and move it around to find what I just opened.
Sounds like the mixer window is pinned (via the little pin icon at the top right in the window title bar) and therefore always shown on top of other windows.
Unpinning the mixer window should help. See chapter 2.23 Keeping a Window on Top in the User Guide.

Last edited by solger; 10-20-2018 at 04:01 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:27 AM   #3
thunderbroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
In general, depending on the window focus the ESC key either closes the currently focused window or triggers the assigned Action.
So in this case the focus is probably still on the mixer window (and not on the Main window).

Possible options to try:
  • Clicking on the Main or Arrangement Window first before looping or pressing the ESC key - so the focus is on the Main Window
  • Or assigning a different Key Shortcut (than ESC) to the corresponding Action via the Action List - by default ESC is mapped to the Time selection: Remove time selection and loop points Action

Sounds like the mixer window is pinned (via the little pin icon at the top right in the window title bar) and therefore always shown on top of other windows.
Unpinning the mixer window should help. See chapter 2.23 Keeping a Window on Top in the User Guide.
This is really helpful. Thanks for your reply!
thunderbroom is offline   Reply With Quote