Old 09-23-2017, 10:53 AM   #1
Drums are for parades
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 21
Default Unexpected gain increase recorded audio items

Hi,

Since today, whenever I record something into REAPER, and then hit the save button, the volume of the file is suddenly increased to an unworkable level.

See this short screen capture where I talk into the microphone. You see the creation of the audio file, with the normal gain. Then, when I accept the file, the gain increases.

https://streamable.com/2y0ox

This behaviour is new to me, and I suspect it might be introduced in the new 5.50 version.

It might not be a bug, but a feature which I accidentally activated, but I don't know where to look to deactivate.

System MAC OS 64, reaper version 5.50

Hope anyone can help!
Drums are for parades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:19 AM   #2
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,264
Default

If you are looking at the waveform during recording, you can't trust that as the one that is being drawn during recording is only a rough approximation so you know it is recording - though it does look like the signal in general is far too low during recording based on the track meter (-36 peak).

Any chance you pressed shift + up arrow in this project? That will make the waveform bigger than it's actual level. If that's the case it will look bigger but still playback at -36 which means you can't trust that one for levels either so trust the meter. If it is truly getting louder then it will show -36 when recording but much higher on playback (assuming the fader is at zero).
__________________
Your whole life people will tell you what you can't do. Getting past them is the first step to actually getting things done.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #3
Drums are for parades
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 21
Default

Thanks for the quick reply. I moved to a new project, and there everything seems to be back to normal.

You might be correct with the shift + arrow up combination. I started the project with trying out the new envelope items feature, and might have tried such combinations (without knowing the original action bound to that key combination).

Mystery seems to be solved. Thanks a lot.
Drums are for parades is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.