Old 09-23-2017, 11:39 AM   #1
Tod
Human being with feelings

Default Cut/Paste in ME, can someone explain this?

Ran into a new one today I've never seen before.

I played notes in one midi track, then copy/pasted what I played to another track and you can see in the picture what happened.

The left picture is the track I played into, then copied the notes. The picture on the right shows what happened when I pasted in another track. I created another midi track from scratch, and when I pasted into that, it was bad, like the picture on the right.

When I looked at the first note in the Event List for each track, this is what it shows. Notice the double notes in #2 which was bad? However, in #3 they are also bad the the notes aren't doubled.

Also notice all the lengths are the same, which is totally wrong.

Actually the more I work with this, I'm starting to think my Reaper is messed up. In the ME I can't snap notes to the grid, in fact the notes can't be placed near the grid even with the grid off. The notes are snapping to something, even when "Snap to grid" is off, but it's not any where near the grid.

Here's a little gif showing how it's working. Notice no problem with the Edit Cursor.

Here's a RPP project file with 2 midi tacks.

https://stash.reaper.fm/31663/Reaper...i%20tracks.RPP
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:35 PM   #2
juliansader

The problem is probably related to the fact that the MIDI items are stretched to an extreme rate of 0.007.

MIDI notes that appear long in stretched items will return to their actual tiny lengths when pasted into non-stretched items.

Also, when stretched so extremely, the ticks are spaced very far apart, so the notes will appear to jump wildly across the grid.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:45 PM   #3
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
The problem is probably related to the fact that the MIDI items are stretched to an extreme rate of 0.007.

MIDI notes that appear long in stretched items will return to their actual tiny lengths when pasted into non-stretched items.

Also, when stretched so extremely, the ticks are spaced very far apart, so the notes will appear to jump wildly across the grid.
Aah, thanks juliansader, you know, I never stretch midi items because I had problems with it from the very beginning, some 7 years ago, so I always just add a midi item to the right of the other item and then glue. However, I think I did stretch the one I recorded into yesterday, I was in a hurry. I thought "Alt+drag" stretched it with out altering it but obviously that's not the case.

I'm going to check this out a little closer.

Another one of those Reaper gotchyahs.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote