Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-19-2019, 12:11 PM   #1
Warrior
Human being with feelings

Default Looking for Computer Monitors for DAW, Editing Photos/Video) - Good and Inexpensive?

Not sure if this is the right place for this question but here goes.....

I want to get 2 new computer monitors so I can set them side by side for mixing.

I also want to use them for editing photos and videos. I want them to be good for this but I also want to keep my cost as low as possible. I'm estimating the size I will want is 24".

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reaper 6.13/64 - Audient iD14 Interface-Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i7, 16GB RAM 256GB SSD (OS,apps) & 1TB HDD (data), OS X 10.14.6 - Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz i7, 4 GB RAM, 256GB SSD (OS,apps) OS X 10.13.6 - Presonus Faderport
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:10 PM   #2
Icchan

For serious work, I'd steer away from dual screen setups and would be looking at IPS ultrawides or super ultrawides (21:9) instead.. larger than 34" (larger, the better) with 1440p vertical resolution. 4k is snake oil unless you work for movie industry or are very serious about drawing etc.

IPS's are expensive in comparison, but image quality, colours and viewing angles are still better than any other flat screen technology out there.

Dual screen is always split from the middle and it's ultimately a hindrance to productivity. If you're worried about placing windows on that screen real-estate, there are so many software for helping in that issue (like AquaSnap and gazillion others)

With reaper, you'll love that yndivided horizontal real estate more than you might think

That's my 5 cents
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:18 AM   #3
sightlessness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icchan View Post
For serious work, I'd steer away from dual screen setups and would be looking at IPS ultrawides or super ultrawides (21:9) instead.. larger than 34" (larger, the better) with 1440p vertical resolution. 4k is snake oil unless you work for movie industry or are very serious about drawing etc.

IPS's are expensive in comparison, but image quality, colours and viewing angles are still better than any other flat screen technology out there.

Dual screen is always split from the middle and it's ultimately a hindrance to productivity. If you're worried about placing windows on that screen real-estate, there are so many software for helping in that issue (like AquaSnap and gazillion others)

With reaper, you'll love that yndivided horizontal real estate more than you might think

That's my 5 cents
Where's the like button on this forum?
Old 11-20-2019, 03:33 AM   #4
Softsynth

It depends on how big the 4K panel is and why it is used - high DPI image quality, or using the extra screen resolution for more pixel real estate on a bigger display (like four 1080p screens without bezels).

Using a dual display system one panel can be dedicated to the mixer. So for DAW use it does not have to be split down the middle.

I like the 21:9 format and the low end screens are cheaper than a decent large screen 4K IPS display.

A small 4k panel definitely needs all the considerations of high DPI GUIs from the Daw to the VSTs. Any screen choice should be IPS or equivalent.

Last edited by Softsynth; 11-20-2019 at 05:51 AM. Reason: waffle
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:04 AM   #5
Geoff-h3o

Default Recommend

I bought this a couple of months ago, around £150 new, refurb on eBay uk £100; it was recommended for graphics and I really like it:

AOC I2490VXQ

Here's the blurb:

23.8 inch display
Full HD resolution
4ms response time
Built-in speakers

The AOC I2490VXQ from AOC’s 90 series (Pro-line) brings an appealing design and functionality together for business users and prosumers. Its 23.8-inch IPS panel produces crisp, vivid imagery in Full HD resolution, offering viewing angles of up to 178°. The 90% NTSC and 100% sRGB gamut coverage is accompanied with an accurate colour reproduction and good colour uniformity, delivering the needs of photo/video editors. Its HDMI, DisplayPort and VGA inputs offer a variety of connection options.

Users spending long hours in front of a monitor will be relieved with the Flicker-Free technology reducing flicker by regulating backlight with a DC system, and the Low Blue Light mode reducing the harmful short wavelength blue light. The energy-efficient I2490VXQ is also certified with ecolabels such as Energy Star, EPEAT and TCO. It is equipped with an Off Timer powering the monitor down after a specified time, and an Eco-mode which adapts the screen to various types of content (Text / Internet / Game / Movie / Sport) to reduce energy consumption.
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:29 PM   #6
Philbo King

Pro grade true color monitors for photo and video work are insanely expensive. What you get for the money: Accurate color

Here are some budget ones
https://filmora.wondershare.com/4k/b...o-editing.html
Old 11-23-2019, 04:08 AM   #7
Softsynth

For small but reasonably colour accurate displays (under 24" as per O.P) I suggest avoiding 4K expense, but look at Dell Ultrasharp IPS models and LG (both use LG panels).

A great site for proper technical reviews:
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews.htm

Dell will have a sale any day now (if not already).
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:07 AM   #8
Reason

Dell ultrasharp 24, $200 each:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NZTKOQI/

They have a good, well deserved reputation. Buy once, cry once.

That said, I got a pair of 27" Asus VE278s in 2011, an upgrade from a couple of Acer 22s, and they have been great. If you have the space I recommend getting that size.

Last edited by Reason; 11-24-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:42 AM   #9
Icchan

I wouldn't go for anything "super color accurate" like true professional monitors for graphics and movie industry. But the thing with IPS panel technology is, that they're more color accurate and have better contrast and viewing angles even if they're not specifically made to be anything high end in regards to color accuracy etc.

TN is horrible in all aspects, and the newer VA and Super VA panels are better than TN, but compared to IPS they're still not very good in viewing angles and contrast.

Colour accuracy can be quite decent, but without contrast colors and hues close to each other blend together and look the same, so light gray and a bit darker gray look exactly the same. And the colors and contrast change drastically when viewing angle changes, so edges of screen, or looking from even a bit below the screen middle or from the side can make the contrast non workable (I had this issue when I used VA-panel on my friends studio with REAPER, I couldn't make out of MIDI-note was grayed out or active etc.).

They can be driven fast, so gamers rave all about the 144hz and 240hz gaming on them... but they're absolutely not good for productivity.

I've used them all, and I always go back to IPS panels... at least until OLED panels aren't expensive as hell... they ultimately fix most of these issues.
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:51 PM   #10
grinder

I am another I really like my AOC's

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote