Old 09-10-2008, 03:17 AM   #81
earlabs
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab View Post
actually, with flight's method you lose the banking functionality of the MCU.
What do you mean with losing the banking? Is that the phenomenon of losing the settings as I describe above? When I use flight's advise to click edit and ok in preferences > control surfaces my troubles are over. I have a logitech g11 keyboard so I can record a macro with it to do all the actions at one click.

Actually I am quite hesitant to start this adventure all over again...
Old 09-10-2008, 06:07 AM   #82
fab

well, with MCU you can step through banks of eight faders each. when stepping, the LEDs (motorized faders in the case of the mackie unitor bcf) are updated automatically, for volume faders, pan, mute, solo and so forth.

so normally you do not need to use three different presets on the bcr. you can use the MCU in any fresh project without midi learning, on 64 or 128 tracks if you like.

you lose this functionality whe using conventional midi learn. it is a workaround...

fab
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:53 AM   #83
bardo

The MCU mode was working but I need to make my own customized version(BCF mode)
MCU mode allows no editing.
I tried to open up BCEDIT in MCU mode to see how they did it but it does not recognize it(HIDDEN TOP SECRET CODE i GUESS)
I'm happy with the way I set mine up and that is what counts.
I need to stop playing with my tools and build somthing now(Music)

Bardo
bardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:25 AM   #84
earlabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardo View Post
The MCU mode was working but I need to make my own customized version(BCF mode)
MCU mode allows no editing.
I tried to open up BCEDIT in MCU mode to see how they did it but it does not recognize it(HIDDEN TOP SECRET CODE i GUESS)
I'm happy with the way I set mine up and that is what counts.
I need to stop playing with my tools and build somthing now(Music)

Bardo
Bardo, see if this helps. It's a syx in a zip. I also have MCU midi chart. But I cannot attach that. I will place it on my server later this evening.
Attached Files
File Type: zip BCF2MCU.zip (1.7 KB, 338 views)
Old 09-10-2008, 09:23 AM   #85
bardo

Thanks Earlab!
I'll try it tonight when I get home.
Do I install it on an open pre-set(I would hate to lose all the work I have done)
Have you tried the "BC Manager"?
I downloaded it today and will check it out.
I find th BC editor a little flaky.

Bardo
Old 09-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #86
fab

bc manager is great, really cool. take the time to look at the manual, it is not as complicates as it seems. it can transmit sysex, too, i believe.

else you can use midi ox for transferring sysex - lower the transfer rate in midi ox, so you do not "stress the interface".

you can trasnfer to an empty preset, mine are on 31 and 32.

bcmanager has a built in midi monitor, but the midi ox monitor is more comprehensive. it should show you different messages for all functions, e.g. pitchbend on channel 1-8 for faders and so on.

remember that only one application at a time can use your midi ports. i also would take any virtual ports out of the euqetion for the moment.

fab

Last edited by fab; 09-10-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:44 AM   #87
earlabs

BC Manager takes a while to understand. If you really want to get a quick intro you should register with groups.yahoo.com bc2000 group. There are two video demo's that are helpful.

With bc manager you can exchange one setting (syx) with another. You save your original syx on your pc. Still, I will not start working with the mcu setting because I have gone to so much trouble getting things to work as they do.

the mcu midi chart is here:
http://www.jossmolders.nl/tools/
Old 09-10-2008, 12:05 PM   #88
bardo

Great!
Thanks for the chart Earlabs.
Same here,I finally got the BCF where I want it so...."if it ain't broke,don't fix it!
Gonna do some recording tonight with this new toy and see how the work flow goes.
Thanks to all for the help!
It's pretty cool to be able to communicate with people with the same intrest ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Still can't get over that.
Time:12.05pm
Temp:77 degrees,sunny with a cool breeze

Bardo
Old 09-10-2008, 12:42 PM   #89
earlabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardo View Post
Great!
Thanks for the chart Earlabs.
Same here,I finally got the BCF where I want it so...."if it ain't broke,don't fix it!
Gonna do some recording tonight with this new toy and see how the work flow goes.
Thanks to all for the help!
It's pretty cool to be able to communicate with people with the same intrest ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Still can't get over that.
Time:12.05pm
Temp:77 degrees,sunny with a cool breeze

Bardo
I have the same feeling of amazement, but I'm old (48)
Time: 9:42pm
Temp:14 degrees (celcius), dark dry, with a cool breeze.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #90
bardo

Default Me Too!

48 also but still feel like a little kid(except in the morning,getting up to work)
Old 10-08-2008, 07:44 AM   #91
fab

take a look at this for vst control

www.midevice.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=0

fab
Old 10-08-2008, 08:39 AM   #92
bardo

Looks pretty wild.
Did you try it yet?

Bardo
Old 10-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #93
Orfilinn

Interesting...

Quote:
Key features:

* 2-way MIDI communication allowing MIDI feedback

Does it mean that with such a plug-in, the value of the controller will be send to the BCR, and we'll be able to correct a parameter when we touch the knob, in a relative way (if, of course, during playing the automation recording is in "touch mode")

Last edited by Orfilinn; 10-08-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Orfilinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:43 AM   #94
fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfilinn View Post
Does it mean that with such a plug-in, the value of the controller will be send to the BCR
well, in theory yes. i have got the plugin to learn, "centralized" (using virtual device) and "decentralized". i did not get the feedback to the controller yet, because apparently you need to send midi out form the track with the "learned vst" on it, not from the track where you have the virtual device.

will try this later.

no experience with automation yet - neither tried anything "relative". there are different modes in the "learning" window, though. i suggest creating an additional testing vst folder, wrap a few plugins and start testing...

fab

ps: it is a kind of novation automap like system for generic midi controllers
Old 10-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #95
fab

please look here

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...d=1#post241589

for news on the issue.

fab
Old 10-12-2008, 09:03 AM   #96
Orfilinn

ok. i will.
actually i tried and got reaper closed

What i just want to have, as the others who posted here, is to get simply the parameter feedback in my midi controller, to work in a relative way (that's the aim of relative controller, actually)

It seems that a lot of people use reaper and berhinger controller, because twice are cheaper (and i don't say that to do a parallel about quality of each product, ok? ^^ )

So please Cockos, implement that!
I can send u my BCR2000 if you need it to build that

(just don't be too long to send me it back )
Old 10-13-2008, 01:54 AM   #97
fab

orfillin,

it seems the midevice software can take you there - btw do you want feedback OR relative mode? i prefer feedback, as i like to see on my controller what i am doing!

i guess, if we get the midevice guys to test with reaper (they already use the reaplugs!) this will be the quicker way! cockos have a lot of stuff on their hands...

fab
Old 10-14-2008, 10:27 PM   #98
Orfilinn

Cockos has a lot of stuff on their hands, yes indeed !

And I love Reaper for that quality and that evolution, every release bring us a lot of things, and I'm sure i still don't know how to use correctly the main part of that.

Maybe what I search is non-sense, Let me explain:
for example with a VSTi, i will play a bass part.
i will automate the Cut-off and resonance filter, and record the changes of the parameter i will do with my BCR2000.

Maybe i will be happy with the automation i recorded, and when I will playback the song, It would be excellent if the BCR leds follow the changing of parameters values [so i need parameter feedback]...
Maybe later , I will realize that the things would be better.

What I will want to do, is to listen the song, put the automation of the bass track in touch mode, and lightly change the cutoff during some measures, ans the resonance too. So, i need to work in relative mode, to lightly change the value recorded before, through moving gently the right knobs of the BCR.

Do you understand, is it a logical way to proceed, the way I want to do that?

finla point : so when i tried midevice, it crashes reaper. maybe in the future it will work.. But about Reaper functionality,
I would prefer to have something developed directly by Cockos, to be directly in Reaper in native.

And parameter feedback works already to pilot track in BCF mode.
So...Maybe it needs more that a hit of magical staff to work correctly in automation of VST parameters, but I 'm sure Cockos is able to write the right spell to implement that in reaper.

I hope with my poor english i was clear
Old 02-20-2009, 09:09 AM   #99
BenK-msx

hi, I know this is an old thread but is a useful one, just got my bcf to now bank and have feedback on >8 faders/tracks after i arrived at the half midi control half control surface method by trial and error, (then reading it here... could have saved some time there!)

this is directed at Flight mainly - im interested in that AHK script you use to initialize the banks via options-control surface etc. as this not happening spoils a nice setup.

am not sure if you have programmed mouse movements etc. and not being a master of AHK wonder if it were possible to post the script as that would be much appreciated. though i could eventually get there - but better if you could assist i guess!

cheers in any case for the pioneering stuff
Old 02-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #100
flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
hi, I know this is an old thread but is a useful one, just got my bcf to now bank and have feedback on >8 faders/tracks after i arrived at the half midi control half control surface method by trial and error, (then reading it here... could have saved some time there!)

this is directed at Flight mainly - im interested in that AHK script you use to initialize the banks via options-control surface etc. as this not happening spoils a nice setup.

am not sure if you have programmed mouse movements etc. and not being a master of AHK wonder if it were possible to post the script as that would be much appreciated. though i could eventually get there - but better if you could assist i guess!

cheers in any case for the pioneering stuff
BenK-msx,
Unfortunately, the script I was using became flaky over time (don't ask me how, seems to me it should just do the same thing over and over, but it doesn't. I suspect changes in Reaper updates are tripping things up but can't really see how).

I even re-did it a couple of times, but cannot get it to behave reliably, so I've pretty much just taken to a quick run through the banks initializing each manually when I change projects. Takes about fifteen seconds, and is a pain, but I don't have a working alternative.

You can try it by using the record function in AHK and then doing a little editing. Just record the steps used to do it manually. Once recorded you can just switch to each BCF bank and run it. If you have any better luck than I have, I'd love to see your script! Now that you've raised the issue, maybe I'll give it another shot in the next few days. If I succeed, I'll let you know and for sure share the script.

-flight
flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #101
BenK-msx

Thanks Flight - I'll have a reminder session with AHK, I did use it ages ago once for something v. simple, but good excuse to learn more -
Best to ask first tho!

if anything comes of it that does the trick i will post with any news,
cheers again

EDIT:
think i got lucky, have looked into it further tonight and after a google reminder of windows shortcuts, the process can be done with just keystrokes (which i didn't think it could do at first) making it reasonably reliable.

i will include the hotkey script below but also note it here for those who don't use it and the curious:
ctrl-p (options)
c (highlights control surfaces section)
tab *4 (moves focus to ok)
Down arrow *3 (moves focus again)
tab *2 (highlights top control surface in list)
space (selects/opens it)
return (hits ok)
tab *11 (!! gets focus back to 'apply' (just to be sure))
Return *2(selects apply and oks to finish/close options)

its alot of keys but seems to work for alpha 3 (didnt try with 2.55 but will)

----
on a side note: I did determine a while back the SYsEX messages that change the preset number on bcf units (it took me an age to figure that out!) remotely (i.e from reaper)

i wonder if this could be used to auto change presets as mixer view changes or a track is selected??
- edit- you need to merge the midi with virtual midi and midi-ox etc.to go to the unit to still retain control surface features so hassle not worth it right now for me

but if anyone is interested in these sysex msgs let me know.

cheers again flight for helping things along!

update: (at least flight may be interested!)
completley by accident this - switching to another project tab resets/initializes the control surface... so having a blank project in a tab containing at least the number of tracks you have assigned to your CS, (plus a minimacro to go to next project tab X2), will flick to the new tab and back reseting your bcf.
this may be easier than using AHK - unfortunately you cannot currently save multiple tabs as a template so the hassle of opening a tab and then the project eats into the time saved but once done is pretty convenient.

tabs are crazy btw
Attached Files
File Type: txt AutoHotkey.ahk.txt (1.3 KB, 201 views)

Last edited by BenK-msx; 02-22-2009 at 06:15 PM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #102
flight

Very cool, BenK-msx. A lot of good experimenting in all this. Appreciate the approach to the script. Will try it out this weekend probably. Thanks much!

flight
flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:18 PM   #103
flipotto

BTW - I have made a new BCR mackie preset for reaper.
No new functions, however, combined with the new control serf plugin it goes further than before.

http://shoshin.110mb.com/genmce/bcr2...ts/presets.htm

I forgot to post it here.
flipotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:29 AM   #104
oldtimer

Default Well I did but ...crash..crash...crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab View Post
take a look at this for vst control

www.midevice.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=0

fab
Could anybody give me a (crash free) walkthrough setting this up in Reaper? To my mind this would be a quantum leap forward......if we could get it to work properly!

EDIT.you only have to look at the "views" hits on this thread to see how much interest there is in this kind of thing.

Last edited by oldtimer; 03-01-2009 at 07:35 AM.
oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote