Old 10-13-2018, 07:29 AM   #1
Steviebone
Human being with feelings

Default Is there a Reaper crash log?

Reaper has been pretty stable for me. However, lately I am having random crashes. Reaper will quit suddenly without any error messages. The crashes leave the audio channels unavailable so a hard reboot is required. Sometimes after crash I must reopen the project with all FX unloaded to avoid an immediate re-crash. I've tried re-enabling each plug-in one at a time but have not been able to see any correlation between a specific plug-in and the crashes. Usually once I open the project without FX and enable the plug-ins one at a time I can run crash free for a long time, but then once the crashes begin again I have to go through the same process repeatedly.

Is there a reaper crash log or some other debugging tool I can use to try and narrow down the cause of these crashes?
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:18 AM   #2
brainwreck

Plugins can be set to run in a separate process or a dedicated process per plugin. So if a plugin crashes, only the plugin process crashes, not Reaper. You can run a plugin in this way by right-clicking it in the list of fx in the fx browser and going to 'Run as'. If you suspect a particular plugin to be causing crashing, run it in a dedicated process to see if it crashes.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:44 AM   #3
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviebone View Post
However, lately I am having random crashes.
I can give you a way to create a memory dump when it crashes and I can take a peek when I have time, or you can send it to cockos to see if they can look. Before you do that look in the application event logs on the machine, there may be an entry that was logged when it crashed: start > run > eventvwr.msc
Old 10-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #4
Steviebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I can give you a way to create a memory dump when it crashes and I can take a peek when I have time, or you can send it to cockos to see if they can look. Before you do that look in the application event logs on the machine, there may be an entry that was logged when it crashed: start > run > eventvwr.msc
Thanks Karbon. Only one crash made it into the event log. That event did indicate a suspicious plug-in which I have removed temporarily. If the issue persists and I am unable to identify a plug-in I may take you up on that. I have a few more hoops to jump through before we get to that point though. I appreciate your offer.

Just curious, what could cause reaper to crash without there being an entry in the event log? Are there any extended settings in the Windows event log I should enable temporarily?

I found this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ser-mode-dumps

Is that worth doing?
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:25 PM   #5
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviebone View Post

Just curious, what could cause reaper to crash without there being an entry in the event log? Are there any extended settings in the Windows event log I should enable temporarily?
Every type of crash/exit might not show up there but I wanted to make sure since that's good low-hanging fruit troubleshooting wise if one was written.

Quote:
I found this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ser-mode-dumps

Is that worth doing?
It's the built-in version of the same thing I mentioned about getting a dump so it's fine if you enable it, just set it up for a mini dump instead of a full dump.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:34 PM   #6
lilith93

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Plugins can be set to run in a separate process or a dedicated process per plugin. So if a plugin crashes, only the plugin process crashes, not Reaper. You can run a plugin in this way by right-clicking it in the list of fx in the fx browser and going to 'Run as'. If you suspect a particular plugin to be causing crashing, run it in a dedicated process to see if it crashes.
Is there a list of the plugins where I can see, which of them are running as dedicated process? There's the Project/FX bay, but it doesn't tell me which plugins are currently bridged.
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote