Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 02-24-2015, 04:44 AM   #1
gregwor
Human being with feelings

Default reaper_host_x86_64.app won't close

I often end up with several reaper_host_x86_64.app sitting in my mac dock. Then after closing every program on the computer when I want to turn it off, there is often a single reaper_host_x86_64.app still open. I have read online mac forums for ideas about how to close it, but nothing works and often I just have to hold the power button down on my mac pro as there is no way to close the reaper_host_x86_64.app.

Any help would be appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-02-24 at 4.36.35 AM.jpg (14.3 KB, 350 views)
gregwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:51 AM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Are you running REAPER 32 or 64 bit? Having a 64 bit host process is rather strange. Either you're using

- REAPER 64 and applied firewalling settings in Plug-ins->Compatibility so all plug-ins run in their own host process - this is not recommendable since this is acting globally on all plug-ins, and some may not like to be firewalled at all. Use the "Run as" per-plug-in setting from the FX browser instead if need be. However needing to be firewalled is not very common for 64-bit plug-ins.

- REAPER 32 and you loaded 64 bit plug-ins instead of their 32 bit counterparts.

Remedy: Don't do that. Also, there used to be a "quit" button when you right-click the icon in the dock, and you should be able to "force quit" any process if it doesn't want to quit when you asked nicely.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:32 PM   #3
gregwor

I'm running 64 bit on a new Mac Pro (the cylinder looking one).

In the firewall settings, I have it set to "Automatic bridging (when required)". What should I set it to? Note: for Waves plugins, I do have them set to "run as separate process" via right clicking them in the fx window... because their GUI's are screwed up and the knobs/buttons don't line up correctly. I've read several forums telling me that this is the only way to make the Waves plugins work correctly and it has resolved the GUI issue. I do have new x64 plugins but occasionally use old x86 plugins. Typically the highest number of reaper_host_x86_64.app icons that appear in my dock is 3.

I have tried right clicking the icon and telling it to "quit". It doesn't work.
I have tried force quitting the application. It doesn't work.
I have tried using the terminal to quit the application, but the reaper_host_x86_64.app doesn't show up in the list of running programs. So that isn't an option.
I've opened the Activity Monitor as I know there's a way to shut down processes within it, but again, I do not see the reaper_host_x86_64.app being run in any of the tabs (CPU, Memory, Energy, Disk, or Network).

But ultimately, the icon remains in the dock and when I try to shut down the computer, it just hangs (assuming that it is waiting for the reaper_host_x86_64.app to close). When I momentarily push the power button on the computer, a window pops up saying that the computer is already shutting down. But after waiting forever, I eventually resort to holding down the power button.

Thank you so much for the fast response Ollie. One more reason for me to fall in love with Reaper. Hopefully we can solve this reaper_host_x86_64.app issue!
Old 02-25-2015, 05:43 PM   #4
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

It seems this helped a few Waves users without bridging the plug-ins:

- please go Preferences->Plug-ins and make sure both checkboxes for "Automatically resize FX windows:" 'up' and 'down' are checked.

- Also try opening the plug-ins "floating", not in the FX chain window.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:00 AM   #5
bohitomi

Default same

Did you found a solution? 100% same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwor View Post
I'm running 64 bit on a new Mac Pro (the cylinder looking one).

In the firewall settings, I have it set to "Automatic bridging (when required)". What should I set it to? Note: for Waves plugins, I do have them set to "run as separate process" via right clicking them in the fx window... because their GUI's are screwed up and the knobs/buttons don't line up correctly. I've read several forums telling me that this is the only way to make the Waves plugins work correctly and it has resolved the GUI issue. I do have new x64 plugins but occasionally use old x86 plugins. Typically the highest number of reaper_host_x86_64.app icons that appear in my dock is 3.

I have tried right clicking the icon and telling it to "quit". It doesn't work.
I have tried force quitting the application. It doesn't work.
I have tried using the terminal to quit the application, but the reaper_host_x86_64.app doesn't show up in the list of running programs. So that isn't an option.
I've opened the Activity Monitor as I know there's a way to shut down processes within it, but again, I do not see the reaper_host_x86_64.app being run in any of the tabs (CPU, Memory, Energy, Disk, or Network).

But ultimately, the icon remains in the dock and when I try to shut down the computer, it just hangs (assuming that it is waiting for the reaper_host_x86_64.app to close). When I momentarily push the power button on the computer, a window pops up saying that the computer is already shutting down. But after waiting forever, I eventually resort to holding down the power button.

Thank you so much for the fast response Ollie. One more reason for me to fall in love with Reaper. Hopefully we can solve this reaper_host_x86_64.app issue!
bohitomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:13 AM   #6
gregwor

Unfortunately not :-(
Old 03-01-2018, 10:34 AM   #7
Ipecac

Default 64 Host

Same here.....I did fix mine from appearing again.

I had a Plugin instance of Dynameter on my Master, when i removed it and restarted the
reaper_host_64_x86 box disapperared from my dock...
Ipecac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:45 PM   #8
Ohmdepop

Default Ditto

upgraded to Macbook Pro to Mojave, going through the same problem. not using any 32 bit plugs to my knowledge. Have some Sknote plugs that are universal binaries, I;m not sure if that would cause the problem as I don't remember having that issue before. I'm also having the same issue with it being persistent, even after I close out Reaper. If anyone has any suggestions. I may just disable 32 bit plugins altogether and see how it goes.
Ohmdepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:26 AM   #9
kris.audioplanet

Same here. It started popping up recently without me actually using any new plugins. I use Reaper64 on Mojave on a Mac mini 2018,
kris.audioplanet is offline   Reply With Quote