Old 11-21-2020, 01:28 PM   #1
jfgreen
Human being with feelings

Default Unlink playback from edit cursor

I would like to be able to toggle the playback start point between a) start of the current time selection; or b) the current position of the edit cursor. But I cannot find a way to decouple the start of playback from the edit cursor to accomplish the a) scenario. The b) scenario is how Reaper behaves for me currently. But there are times where I want to move my edit cursor around to make various selections and edits, without changing the playback start point – I want the start of playback to stay at the beginning of the time selection.

In Pro Tools, playback always begins at the first timeline selection marker. The b) scenario can be achieved by clicking the “link timeline and edit selection” button. I toggle this all the time. I have done a fair amount of searching through the Reaper forums and Google, but so far I have not found a way to achieve the a) scenario in Reaper.

I’ve tried various fixes from other threads, including different preferences settings under seek behavior and under editing behavior. I got excited for a minute when I discovered an action called “SWS toggle ‘link time selection and edit cursor’,” but that does nothing to separate playback from the edit cursor. Some of the seek behaviors allow you to move the edit cursor without affecting playback that is in progress, but as soon as you stop and move the edit cursor the playback start location is going to move with the cursor.

This does not seem to be a problem for other Reaper users, so I’m open to the idea that I’m missing something obvious. If anyone can enlighten me I’d appreciate it. Thanks!
jfgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:48 PM   #2
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfgreen View Post
I would like to be able to toggle the playback start point between a) start of the current time selection; or b) the current position of the edit cursor.
You cannot separate playback start point from the edit cursor position. So you'll have to approach it the other way around; how to move edit cursor to start of the time selection and then play from there.

For example these two actions as a one custom action would do that:
Go to start of time selection
Transport: Play

You can also save current edit cursor position into one of the 16 slots with the action SWS/BR: Save edit cursor position, slot 01 etc. Then you can recall those positions with SWS/BR: Restore edit cursor position actions.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:19 PM   #3
jfgreen

Default Unlink playback from edit cursor

Thanks very much for your reply. Certainly explains why I couldn't figure out how to do it. I followed your suggestion for a custom action and I think that's working out pretty good for me. Much appreciated.

There are a lot of things in Reaper that I like better than Pro Tools, this just isn't one of them.
jfgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:57 PM   #4
valy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfgreen View Post
There are a lot of things in Reaper that I like better than Pro Tools, this just isn't one of them.
I know exactly what you mean.
valy is offline   Reply With Quote