Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 11-14-2018, 05:58 PM   #1
mustgroove
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper + Mojave + iMac Pro = very very sluggish GUI performance

Reaper's GUI is extremely sluggish on my iMac Pro now that it's upgraded to Mojave. Everything feels very "low frame rate", and there's some latency when it comes to responding to mouse clicks. On High Sierra everything was fine / normal, it's only happening since I upgraded to Mojave.

Reaper is perfectly fine on my other Mac running Mojave though (MacBook Pro mid-2013, integrated graphics only) so it's something related to the iMac Pro and Mojave.

Interestingly there's something similar going on with Voxengo SPAN - I've noticed it is also having significant GUI sluggishness on my iMac Pro running Mojave - it was also fine under High Sierra, and is also fine under Mojave on my other Mac.

Any other iMac Pro users here who can report back on Reaper's performance under Mojave?
mustgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:51 AM   #2
mustgroove

Voxengo seem to have gotten to the bottom of this:

Quote:
It's indeed an issue with Mojave - probably due to its poor support of older API - multi-threading or older Cocoa.
They're moving their plugins to Retina soon as well, which has seemed to fix the issue:

Quote:
The fix may be due to us moving to Retina which does not need realtime UI rescaling.
Meanwhile, things are still quite bad with 5.963 on Mojave on my system, unless I run Reaper in Low Resolution mode, in which case things are back to being as snappy and responsive as usual, but everything is non-Retina (including plugin GUIs).
Old 11-29-2018, 05:22 PM   #3
Anchorite

If you've tinkered with default meters (update freq or decay), try reverting it back to default (12/120) and slowly upgrading it from there. Fixed the issue of mouseclick lag and overall slugishness for me.
Anchorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:49 PM   #4
mustgroove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorite View Post
If you've tinkered with default meters (update freq or decay), try reverting it back to default (12/120) and slowly upgrading it from there. Fixed the issue of mouseclick lag and overall slugishness for me.
No effect unfortunately, still extremely laggy unless I switch to Low Resolution mode.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:49 AM   #5
vsgrt

Change the color profile. Makes a big difference.

System preferences -> Display -> Color, then choose sRGB at the bottom.
vsgrt is offline   Reply With Quote