Old 01-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
Anton9
Human being with feelings

Default Criticle Bug(s)

"Automatically correct overlapping notes".., is not working properly.

The First Bug:
In this LICEcap the first set of three MIDI notes are of length 0.0.68. When I select the next three notes and switch to "EventList" view then back to "PianoRoll" the first set of notes get cropped to 0.0.50 and the second set of notes get cropped to 0.0.18. "Automatically correct overlapping notes" is turned off so this should not be happening.

Second Bug: (This one is critical)
The other problem with overlapped/duplicate MIDI events is when using VST plugins some events will get cropped and occasionally completely omitted in live, recorded or rendered output. This is a HUGE bug!

I think "Automatically correct overlapping notes" should be setup as a post process and would have the following options.

1)Crop prior
2)Combine subsequent
3)Delete

For the most flexibility there could be a dialog window where users could setup a "time threshold" which would effect how the overlapping or duplicate events are handled.

Please this desperately needs addressing.., as it stands this is a COMPLETE show stopper when working with plugins that either generate or manipulate MIDI.

Thank You
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

Regarding #2:

Automatic correction of overlapping notes is disabled by default. There already is a MIDI action to correct overlapping notes as a one-time process. Both methods will always crop the earlier note.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Anton9

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Regarding #2:

Automatic correction of overlapping notes is disabled by default.
Is there option or preference somewhere for this because it doesn't appear to be disabled here? I consistently get cropped notes when using the action "Apply track/take FX to items(MIDI output), as well as when recording MIDI output form one track to another.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
schwa
Administrator

If you are talking about merging MIDI streams outside of the MIDI editor, could you possibly provide an example?
Old 01-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Anton9

Here is a quick example using just a js effect.
Open an empty midi item and add 2 1/8 notes.

Add the js effect JS: midi_syncdelay then from the main arrange window run the action "Apply track/take FX to items(MIDI output)" and you'll notice in the output one of the notes was cropped to zero length.

This is just a quick basic example. I'm usually using VST plugins such as arpeggio generators or note repeaters and depending on the settings in the plugin I'll end up with some notes that are cropped just a little bit and others that are cropped to zero.

Just to note in the above example you could even use two different notes for example A3 and G3 and the outcome is still the same.

Last edited by Anton9; 01-27-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
schwa
Administrator

I don't have the effect JS:midi_syncdelay. Where is that from?
Old 01-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
Anton9

It was made by forum member cern.th.skei and can be found here http://sites.google.com/site/jesuccernn/

Note: In my example I set the parameter beats to 1.0

Last edited by Anton9; 01-27-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
schwa
Administrator

Thanks for the example. In this case, the FX is outputting only one note-on event, and no note-offs. You can see this by inserting ReaControlMIDI or JS/MIDI/midi_logger after the JS FX.

[edit] With the FX parameter set to 1.0, the FX outputs one note-on, then 448 ticks later a note-off, note-on, and note-off all at the same time:

So, the FX output is getting recorded properly -- in this case the problem is with the FX.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
Anton9

I was afraid you were going to say that. Give me just a few minuets and I'll post a couple of other examples using a couple of the freeware VST plugins by insertpizhere.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
Anton9

Sorry it took me so long to reply.., I did some more testing and I think I narrowed down the problem a bit.

Ok here is one example using this plugin http://thepiz.org/pizmidi/midiNoteRepeater.zip

Try this. After you setup the midiNoteRepeater plugin as in the pic.
Setup a second track and route trk.1 to trk.2. Set trk.2s record arm to "Record output(MIDI)"

On trk.1 create a new MIDI item of about 5-10sec. Open the item and in the editor make sure that the option "Preview notes on add/edit" is ticked.
Now hit record so trk.2 is recording and add a note to the grid.
Click stop and look at the newly recorded item on trk.2 and you'll notice that it worked as expected.

Now delete the recorded item and record again but this time just let it record the note you added before(in other words don't click on the grid again} Stop recording and open the item on trk.2 and you'll see the original problem.

So what it looks like is rendering or recording previously laid down notes is where the problem lies.

I hope this is fixable?
Old 01-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #11
Anton9

Ok I did some further testing and I think what it is, is the absence of note off events, because I just tried the example from my last post but I continued to hold the mouse button down inputting the note and noticed that one of the notes is being clipped again. So what I think we need is the ability to add regular note off events.., not all notes off, tried that and it didn't work.

I'm going to have to run some tests with one of my arp VSTs and see what I can come up with because the notes that where getting clipped with it where turning out as zero length. It's going to have to wait until later tonight though, so if you don't see a report back tonight check first thing in the morning and I should have some more feedback for you.

Thank you so much for helping me out with this, I really appreciate it.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:31 AM   #12
Anton9

I think I'll wait until the first bug from my original post is fixed and see if that has any effect on this other issue, at the very least it will make testing stuff a little easier.