Old 09-12-2017, 09:17 AM   #1
buzzardwhiskey
Human being with feelings

Default Difficulty "grouping"

I would like to stretch an acoustic guitar track to force it into the drum beat a bit better, and to that end had watched a video where a track was duplicated, eq'd so that transients were easier to see, and "grouped" with the original so that changes to the duplicate were also applied to the original.

My problem is with the "grouping". I haven't found the right command to make this happen. Can someone help?

Thanks!
buzzardwhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:55 AM   #2
serr

Reaper is selection based.
Grouping does NOT link things together!
Grouping lets you select multiple things with a single click. (Make sure the grouping option for 'selecting one grouped item selects the whole group' is checked.) Then, the selected things all work together.

Multiple items, etc selected will work together regardless of any group assignments. The group lets you easily select them together.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:03 AM   #3
buzzardwhiskey

Thank you! I'll look around for this "selecting one grouped item selects the whole group" thing.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:17 AM   #4
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
Thank you! I'll look around for this "selecting one grouped item selects the whole group" thing.
Right-click the grouping button in the toolbar. It kind of looks like the links of a chain.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:23 AM   #5
sisaso

If you want to eq your track to see the transients better in the waveform Display you have to freeze the track.Then do your stretching and unfreeze the track again.
If you send a link to that video we could understand better what you want to achieve.
sisaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:59 AM   #6
buzzardwhiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisaso View Post
If you want to eq your track to see the transients better in the waveform Display you have to freeze the track.Then do your stretching and unfreeze the track again.
If you send a link to that video we could understand better what you want to achieve.
I have no clue what "freeze the track" might mean. That said, I'm able to create the EQ'd track and see the transients. It's the "linking" or "grouping" or "binding" with the original track that I'm having difficulty with. Here's the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjanI08-7QY

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey; 09-12-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
I would like to stretch an acoustic guitar track to force it into the drum beat a bit better, and to that end had watched a video where a track was duplicated, eq'd so that transients were easier to see, and "grouped" with the original so that changes to the duplicate were also applied to the original.

My problem is with the "grouping". I haven't found the right command to make this happen. Can someone help?

Thanks!
Select both items (the copy and the original), click G to group and U to ungroup.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:06 PM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisaso View Post
Also can just right-click > apply fx as new take to that track copy. Then again, why make a new track, just do that to the original track and you'll have two visible takes, the original, and the guide/EQ take which you can remove when done. To the OP, the only reason you need to do that or freeze is so that the waveform visually reflects the EQ change.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #9
buzzardwhiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Select both items (the copy and the original), click G to group and U to ungroup.
With respect, this is not working for me.

I've added a series of stretch markers to the new track. Then I group the original and the new track. But if I attempt to push or pull on one of the markers, only the new track is altered.

I'm not home right now, but as soon as I get there I'll try what someone else has suggested... "selecting one grouped item selects the whole group".
Old 09-12-2017, 12:22 PM   #10
karbomusic

Quote:

Old 09-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #11
xpander

Quote:
I've added a series of stretch markers to the new track. Then I group the original and the new track. But if I attempt to push or pull on one of the markers, only the new track is altered.
If you only have stretch markers in one item, other items will not react to the moves because they don't have markers in them. Grouping won't change that.
xpander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:39 PM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
If you only have stretch markers in one item, other items will not react to the moves because they don't have markers in them. Grouping won't change that.
True, you have to put the markers in both.

As noted in my GIF, if you place the stretch markers on both, grouping works - group before placing the stretch markers (with selecting item selects group enabled) to ensure both tracks get identical markers.

Re: using 1-track and takes, I confirmed that won't work since stretch markers are per take.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:40 PM   #13
serr

Quote:

I'm not home right now, but as soon as I get there I'll try what someone else has suggested... "selecting one grouped item selects the whole group".
You're still not getting the instruction. Grouping by itself links absolutely nothing in Reaper. It's ONLY a selection making aid.

Select both items together. (Either marquee select both, click on one and shift-click the other, or use the grouping with selecting one selects all)
Now they work together.

Some other good ideas suggested in the thread too.

Understand the selection based thing in Reaper. It's how everything works.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:41 PM   #14
buzzardwhiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
I think this is the underlying problem. After attempting to group two items, as soon as I start working on one item (to add the stretch markers) the group seems to "come undone". The grouping is extremely temporary.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #15
karbomusic

Quote:
I think this is the underlying problem. After attempting to group two items, as soon as I start working on one item (to add the stretch markers) the group seems to "come undone". The grouping is extremely temporary.
If you group so that the group gets selected, it works, see my animation above. I had no problems and the group stays until I intentionally ungroup but you must enable the option that selects the entire group.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:47 PM   #16
buzzardwhiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
If you group so that the group gets selected, it works, see my animation above. I had no problems and the group stays until I intentionally ungroup but you must enable the option that selects the entire group.
I appreciate your help very much. My work computer doesn't show your animation but I'll try it as soon as I get home. Thanks again!