Old 10-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
RELM
Human being with feelings

Default US-2400 Setup

HI, I have been using Reaper for a few years now, but time hasn't really allowed me to dive into it until recently.

I am using a US-2400 and have received a ton of help from reading other threads regarding this unit and Reaper. Most everything is working satisfactory, but I am wondering if there is something I can edit in Reaper, or elsewhere, to change what the MIDI data sent/received does.

For example, I am running it in Cubase/Nuendo mode. More features seem to work right out of the gate, compared to other modes, but not many more. Really, inserting markers is about it. What I would like to do is assign one of the buttons to insert a track. In on thread, a guy said his was setup to do that, but didn't really say how.

There are other things I'd like to do, but I figure if I can do that much, setting up the rest would be similar.

Thanks in advance!
RELM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
technogremlin

You probably read my thread on it (link is in my sig). I have almost everything working, but I'm rebuilding my setup and in the process of getting everything US2400-related properly documented as well. I use the Sonar-mode but I actually don't think that makes a big difference as the US2400 is running in MIDI-compatibility mode for all emulations other then Protools and native mode.

I did have the function-buttons assigned to things in Reaper, but that is one of the things I have to work out again. I'll try to get back to you somewhere this week on how to set this up. Maybe someone else will beat me to it
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
RELM

Awesome, thanks! Yes, your thread and then one from 2007 where incredibly helpful in getting the thing setup.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
mdmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELM View Post
Awesome, thanks! Yes, your thread and then one from 2007 where incredibly helpful in getting the thing setup.
I will be setting one of these up in a few days. I have read the threads above and it looks like they will be very helpful. Thanks in advance for the additional help!
mdmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
technogremlin

Just last week I've setup everything so that every track always has a ReaEQ on it with four bands (low shelf, low-mid, hi mid, hi-shelf) that are automatically mapped to the mixerstrip-mode on the US-2400 when a track has focus (with the select buttons on the US-2400), and the four send-rotaries of the mixer strip are mapped to the first four sends on any reaper channel. Also have a saturation plugin on each channel (TAL-tube) that has it's controls also mapped to the mixerstrip mode (to the 'free' rotaries)... it really starts to feel like I'm mixing on a serious console
Old 10-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
RELM

How did you get each track setup with ReaEQ automatically? Inserting a template? That is something I want to do too. From what I read you can't modify the default track (CTRL+T), but this could be wrong. The only other option I could think of was a template, but then how would it know what template to insert?

Figured out how to assign functions to buttons on the US-2400, via the 'Actions' menu, selecting 'Add' on the function you want to play with, then pressing the button on the US-2400. This is one of the things I really want to add.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
technogremlin

Quote:
How did you get each track setup with ReaEQ automatically? Inserting a template? That is something I want to do too. From what I read you can't modify the default track (CTRL+T), but this could be wrong. The only other option I could think of was a template, but then how would it know what template to insert?
I'm indeed using templates for this. I have specific templates for certain VST-instruments and I'm currently in the process of building a great vocals-template. Each template has a reaEQ in it (and a TAL-tube). You just have to setup the ReaEQ controls-mapping once and then just copy that ReaEQ to other channels.

You can also set it up as a default fx-chain and load that onto every new channel you insert.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
RELM

Man, can't wait for today to be over with so I can play with my US-2400 this weekend.

So for the template you have, you are just right-clicking, and inserting template? I'm looking to assign the template to one button and possibly another template to another. Looking at the Actions list, I don't see this. I'm probably just being too lazy and can't be bothered to move my hand a foot-and-a-half to the mouse.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #9
technogremlin

Quote:
So for the template you have, you are just right-clicking, and inserting template?
Yep, that's it

Just right-click in the track-panel area, you can select from your own templates. I'm building templates for everything and have a 'generic' template that has only the default stuff setup for the US-2400 (EQ and tube/saturation for now). Every other template simply includes the default stuff for the US-2400.

This way, every track I insert has the MIDI-mapping for the US-2400 already setup. I have the TAL-tube plugin disabled by default and it still maintains the mapping, works as soon as I enable the plugin
Old 11-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #10
RELM

Default In/Out Buttons

Hi, so I am getting around assigning new actions on my US-2400. In particular the IN/OUT buttons. I am trying to set them up so that IN adds an in-marker where the cursor is, and OUT adds an out-market where the cursor is. I've tried assigning the action to:

Time Selection: Set end point
Time Selection: Set start point

They seem to transmit the same data: Chan 16 CC87, so it keeps overwriting itself if you try to assign each button to a different action.

Also, it won't insert where the cursor is, it just adds it to the entire media item.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
RELM

Also, the 'Chan' button works fine. It comes up as it's own MIDI zone for the US-2400, so I have it enabled as the only MIDI device from the US-2400--everything else is setup as a Control Surface.

The problem I am having is, lets say I am using another MIDI device on that track: guitar rig and a FCB1010. If I add another VST like a channel strip that I want to control with 'Chan', I would have to keep changing the MIDI device on that track.

Is there anyway around this?
Old 11-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #12
technogremlin

Quote:
The problem I am having is, lets say I am using another MIDI device on that track: guitar rig and a FCB1010. If I add another VST like a channel strip that I want to control with 'Chan', I would have to keep changing the MIDI device on that track.
Not sure what you mean by this. I have the channel-strip mode on the US-2400 mapped to specific FX on each track, but it has to be the same FX with identical mapping for each track. The channel-strip mode is most usefull for emulating a ... channel-strip So it's obvious to setup an identical set of 'channel-strip' FX on each channel. So far my track-channels always have ReaEQ with 4 bands mapped to the channel-strip mode, and (for now) TAL-Tube (for saturation) on each track with it's most important controls mapped. I have those in every track-template that I build, and additionally as a FX-chain so I can plug it into a new track-setup quickly (and build a new track-template from that). Both ReaEQ and TAL-tube are offlined by default and I can activate them on a track when I want them.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
RELM

So you have just the channel strip enabled as a MIDI device correct? At least on mine, it was its own zone that I named "US-2400 CS".

So if I want to automate a VST like a channel strip on a track, I have to enable "US-2400 CS" as the MIDI device on that track.

Now if I am recording through Guitar Rig and automating that with a Behringer FCB1010 (preset changes, whawha, etc.), I have to enable the FCB1010 as the MIDI device on that track.

So it seems if want to adjust something on the channel strip, I have to switch to and enable the US-2400 CS as the MIDI device; as well, if I want to adjust something on Guitar Rig, I'd have to switch back to the FCB1010 as the MIDI device.

Perhaps you can control two VST's from two different MIDI devices on the same track, without having to enable one or the other device, and I am not aware of it.

I hope that makes sense.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #14
technogremlin

What you describe seems overly complicated to me, but I might be wrong. However, in my setup I don't have to select anything midi or such on a channel; I've mapped the channel-strip mode controls once to ReaEQ and TAL-Tube (so far) and copied those mapped plugins to each channel. Now I just have to focus a channel on the mixer and switch to channel-strip mode on the US-2400 and it simply works.

I think the trick is in standardizing the plugins you use with the channelstrip-mode. Although it seems to me you can have different plugin-setups on different channels that map correctly to the channel-strip.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
RELM

Ok, that makes sense. I will give that a shot when I get home and see if, after I assign in channel mode and save the VST settings, the assignments will still work if I don't have "US-2400 CS" enabled on that track.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #16
RELM

BTW, have you got the IN and OUT buttons to work properly? See my post a few up regarding the issue I am having with it.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #17
technogremlin

Quote:
BTW, have you got the IN and OUT buttons to work properly? See my post a few up regarding the issue I am having with it.
I'm not using those (yet) but I'll have a go this weekend in setting them up for something and see how that goes.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #18
otakuxumpothazon

Hi, so I've read this thread and technogremlins other threads and had my US-2400 working fine.

Then I decided to move my computer into another room and run the cables through the wall, just to get rid of the noise from the computer. I got a USB hub with 4 inputs to hook my two MIDI controllers, MegaDrum drum module, and the US-2400 into. This required reinstalling the drivers for each of these devices.

Everything works fine except, you guessed it, the US-2400. REAPER doesn't even recognize it now. Tried installing and reinstalling the driver numerous times. On an XP64 system. Latest Reaper. The system recognizes it given that when I uninstall the driver and turn it on, it discovers, and auto installs the driver. But still nothing in Reaper.

Any idea what may have caused this?
otakuxumpothazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #19
digicastholland

Default What's the most efficient US2400 mode to work in?

Hi y'all!

Just got a US2400 two days ago.

A friggin' hell to set up without data, but i got it sort of working in Digital Performer Mode.

Problem however is that i get "error omening midi device" messages each time. 3 times for the in and 3 times for the out port.

What's the best solution?

Faders work and the jog and transport work too. All seems okay, exept for the nagging midi port error messages.

Any help?
digicastholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:12 AM   #20
technogremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by otakuxumpothazon View Post
Everything works fine except, you guessed it, the US-2400. REAPER doesn't even recognize it now.

Any idea what may have caused this?
Not a straight solution, but I just recently moved my Fasttrack Ultra to another side of my desk, away from the computer, and needed a longer USB-cable for that. I had a (very) long cable lying around (from my Alesis Vortex) and used that. I went straight into windows-driver hell ! Got errors about unrecognised hardware, could (re)install the drivers but didn't work and errors remained. Then I just thought about 'what if it is the cable'.... swapped it out for something else and everything returned to normal.

So maybe ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by digicastholland View Post
Hi y'all!

Just got a US2400 two days ago.

A friggin' hell to set up without data, but i got it sort of working in Digital Performer Mode.

Problem however is that i get "error omening midi device" messages each time. 3 times for the in and 3 times for the out port.

What's the best solution?

Faders work and the jog and transport work too. All seems okay, exept for the nagging midi port error messages.

Any help?
Did you read my topic on the 2400 ? (don't think so as I'm not using the DP-setting). If not, hit the link in my signature ;-)