Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-21-2021, 03:43 PM   #1
arthurganson
Human being with feelings

Default Xpand!2- was working but now is not! - stumped :-/

There is most likely a simple solution but I cannot find it... I have been using Reaper since July 2020 and have set it up where I open all new projects with a template that I created. In the template, one MIDI track calls upon Xpand!2. Other MIDI tracks call upon other AIR synthesizers that I got bundled with a Keystation 49 MK3. After creating new projects, almost daily for months, and the track connected with Xpand!2 always working fine, suddenly a week ago it produced no output. Silent. When I play the synthesizer the track meter indicates a strike/contact. It's path to the physical object seems to be there. The settings have never changed. I have removed and added the plug-in and still get no output. Made new tracks and nothing changes. Another plug-in added to that track works fine. I am somewhat new to this world. First thinking it might be a corrupted plug-in. I spoke to an AIR engineer and explained things. He recommended checking Xpand!2 with another DAW. It works fine in ProTools First. If the same actual file is responsible for both DAWS, there is no issue with the plug-in itself. I have looked through every setting and cannot find out why expand!2 is suddenly silent. (Running Reaper 6.23/OSX64, Mac 10.13.6) . Any insight will be appreciated! Thank you in advance.
arthurganson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:11 AM   #2
jean-yves

Maybe there was a change in your midi setup.
When I use Xpand, I have found that the midi input channel must set on All midi input (aka omni) in order to work properly.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:19 PM   #3
arthurganson

Thank you for the thought. The midi connections seem correct to me because I can add other plugins to the same track and they all work fine. There seems to be something specifically wrong with the connection between Reaper and the Xpand!2 plugin.... and it wasn't always the case. It worked fine for months, then just stopped- even though all settings are exactly duplicated as each new project is opened with the same template.
arthurganson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:11 AM   #4
jean-yves

Maybe the Xpand dll is corrupted.
Do you think you could reinstall il ?
Old 02-27-2021, 03:54 AM   #5
bigtop

There are many ways that you won’t hear anything from Xpand2.

MIDI routing
Make sure the MIDI goes from reaper track into xpand and you see this in the xpand instrument (MIDI activity)

Pin connector
On the Reaper Insert FX window; make sure the xpand is not “floated” so you can see this window. Make sure the sound from xpand finds its way back to reaper. In the FX insert window of reaper go to the in/out pin connector (to the right of Param) and make sure the stereo outs of xpand are black inside the boxes (main out 1 and 2) This is often overlooked.

Note that Xpand is multitimbral (plays more than one instrument) but NOT multichannel. It only has a pair of stereo outs so multi channel routing cannot be set up. Xpand is 4 in/2 out. This means 4 MIDI channels in but only two Audio channels out.

Reaper routing.
Make sure the reaper track containing the audio from xpand sends EITHER to the parent folder OR to the Master track. If your xpand instrument is working in another DAW as you said, it is most likely a routing problem in reaper. Remember to check that pin connector.

Make sure the xpand instrument has its instruments switched on.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:05 AM   #6
bigtop

Did you solve the problem with xpand2?
Old 03-06-2021, 03:47 AM   #7
bigtop

Please mark as solved if you've solved it