Old 03-06-2021, 07:24 AM   #1
randall mullin
Human being with feelings

Default Edit only notes in Piano Roll View?

I am an organist and don’t have a technical background. I have been using Reaper with a VSTi called Hauptwerk for a while now and discovered an issue with some of instruments associated with that plugin. I am trying to look at the situation from every angle.

The issue: editing any note/adding or erasing notes in Piano Roll View will affect the program change sounds in playback.

Question: Is there a way to tell Reaper that you want to edit notes only, not velocities nor program changes? If so, how do you turn those other features off for editing, but on for playback?

Many thanks,

Randall Mullin

Last edited by randall mullin; 03-06-2021 at 07:29 AM.
randall mullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:01 AM   #2
lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by randall mullin View Post
Question: Is there a way to tell Reaper that you want to edit notes only, not velocities nor program changes?
Short answer: Yes.

You can drag notes horizontally to change their position and/or drag the left or right edges of notes to change the start/end times. You can drag notes vertically to change them to different pitches. None of that will affect the velocity or program changes.

We need to know more about how you are editing the notes to help figure out what is going wrong.

This is just a guess, but I wonder if you are some how changing the channel of the notes. Perhaps you are deleting wrong notes, and adding new notes to replace them? If the new notes are getting added with a different channel than the existing notes, and if the instrument is set to a different program for that other than channel, then that could explain why you are getting a program change.

Last edited by lunker; 03-06-2021 at 08:08 AM.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 04:14 PM   #3
randall mullin

Thank you Lunker, for your response. I am sorry to say this is probably a complicated issue and there might not be a solution in Reaper, but I thought I would try.

I am using the edit tools in Reaper the normal way. For many years I was using Sonar to accomplish the same thing. In normal conditions changing note lengths, adding notes, and erasing notes (or changing channels for notes) does not affect the overall playback of all channels. With some of the instruments in questions, any changes to notes from what was originally recorded by Reaper with the VSTi plugin will change the sounds on all channels. This is probably a plugin issue, but I thought I would find out if there is a place where you can turn off some aspects of the recording for editing purposes.

Again, many thanks!

Randall Mullin
randall mullin is offline   Reply With Quote