Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 03-07-2021, 10:20 AM   #81
sonictim
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Here's how you'd currently set some mono items to play on channel 3:

What sort of automatic behavior are you imagining? I mean, a track could have a preference that says "always play mono items on channel X", but if you want to change what X is, it wouldn't really be any fewer clicks as a track preference than via the channel mapper, and it would be less flexible.
Thanks for asking schwa....
In an ideal world, for me (knowing I’m a minority case), any time I put a mono file anywhere in reaper (add new mono file, switch take mode to downmix/just one mono channel) on any track, if my master channel is set to more than two channels, reaper would automatically know to send that to channel X which I could set somewhere as a preference as my default center channel. When TakeFX are added to this media item, it would know it’s being sent not to 1&2 and would adjust accordingly. The complicated thing would be, if I then decide to change the routings/pin mappings it won’t try to reset it back to the mono center default (I had this problem when I tried to make a deferred script to automate this, but I’m a novice scripter)

I totally understand your desire to make reaper as flexible as possible, so perhaps this would be a preference that is off by default. Something like “enable mono to center channel as default mono behavior”

Also, about a year ago, I played around with scripting to do this... i made a JSFX plugin that simply routed channel 1 to channel 3 and everything else to 0. It was very rudimentary just to see if it could be done.it could! This is the current workflow you are suggesting (but with a much better plugin). One pitfall I found, and perhaps it’s more of an annoyance, but I literally have to add this plugin to almost every sound in my session. So every single sound is marked that it has an FX added to it. This is annoying because I can’t tell which sounds I’ve added actual takefx to that is processing/altering the sound of the original file. Furthermore, I have to manage the order of the plugins... I had to write a bunch of scripts that would add plugins in the second to last spot so the audio processing so that my downmixing plugin could do its job. So I couldn’t just drag fx on to a take and know I could trust it was just doing everything fine.

I spent about a month playing with this idea of having an automatic takefx plugin be a solution for default center channel routing, but ultimately found it cumbersome, overly complicated and ultimately abandoned it. That said, you guys are much smarter than me and have access to much deeper levels of integration, so I’m hoping you might be able to solve it! But yeah, having takes display takefx icon for routing is rather annoying to me. Would rather there be a separate routing icon.

Thanks for reading this and even bigger thanks for your amazing openness to users and their crazy ideas.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:25 PM   #82
planetnine

Sonictim...

Maybe what will be needed is some kind of take and channel manager to oversee takes, pins, channels in a track/project and be able to filter down to certain layouts, and apply routing to those as a group.

There have been some good scripted graphical representations of fx and connecting routing per track. Maybe this can be expanded both ways: inward to show takes, take fx and routing to track, and then outward to all tracks in a project. Make it visual, make it interactive, give it filtering and wildcards and access to templates, and all that routing can be more easily visualised and managed.

Just an idea, we just need something to help join your workflow with the new routing and panning developments.

>
Old 03-07-2021, 05:43 PM   #83
sonictim

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
Sonictim...

Maybe what will be needed is some kind of take and channel manager to oversee takes, pins, channels in a track/project and be able to filter down to certain layouts, and apply routing to those as a group.

There have been some good scripted graphical representations of fx and connecting routing per track. Maybe this can be expanded both ways: inward to show takes, take fx and routing to track, and then outward to all tracks in a project. Make it visual, make it interactive, give it filtering and wildcards and access to templates, and all that routing can be more easily visualised and managed.

Just an idea, we just need something to help join your workflow with the new routing and panning developments.

>
Interesting!