Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 10-29-2017, 11:43 AM   #1
flutterecho
Human being with feelings

Default Portable install not working, 5.61 on OS X

I have followed the steps to make a portable install (copy over Reaper64 from the .dmg, move over the "/Library/Application Support/REAPER" folder). But every time I start the REAPER64.app it creates all the folders in Library/Application Support again, and uses the /Application Support folders instead of the ones in the portable directory.

All the info I've found says that if Reaper finds the reaper.ini file in the same folder as the REAPER64.app, then it will assume that this is the primary folder and only use these folders and files as a self-contained install. Is there some way to manually force Reaper to only look inside the portable folder? Any ideas?
flutterecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:52 AM   #2
serr

Create a new 'blank' .ini file (a standard plain text file and rename the extension to .ini). Seeing that file in the main directory IS the telltale Reaper looks for. However if the old directory paths are still written in that ini file, Reaper will follow them.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:15 PM   #3
flutterecho

Still not working. I put the empty plain text "reaper.ini" in the folder, and when I clicked on REAPER64 for the first time it scanned the plugins and populated the /Application Support/Reaper folder instead of the portable folder.

There must be some other setting somewhere that makes the REAPER64.app point to the ../Application Support/Reaper folder.
flutterecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:38 AM   #4
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by flutterecho View Post
Still not working. I put the empty plain text "reaper.ini" in the folder, and when I clicked on REAPER64 for the first time it scanned the plugins and populated the /Application Support/Reaper folder instead of the portable folder.
Most likely file extensions are set to be hidden. So make sure via File > Get Info that the full filename is just 'reaper.ini' (reaper = name / .ini = extension) and not 'reaper.ini.txt' ('reaper.ini' = name / .txt = extension)
Shown at around 5:19: www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlsLEc5cvEM
solger is offline   Reply With Quote