COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 09-08-2007, 07:05 PM   #1
AndyMc
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper NINJAM Setup

This Youtube video made by NINJAM user RADAR should get you up and running, if you don't want multiple channels just leave all options in IO in the video alone, then all tracks will send to ReaNINJAM's single stereo track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni5Q2qnB_HM

But here is the orig setup I made some time ago, some items may have different icons etc in REAPER V4.

When I get a chance I'll update this, but please don't follow no complicated send here and there multiple channel / track setup's, there incorrect, REAPER doesn't need all that send to and from for multiple tracks to multiple NINJAM channels, to get multiple channels just watch the vid.
ReaNINJAM only ever needs to be on Master Volumes FX, for multi or single NINJAM channels.

I'll try make a new guide with graphics soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guide
Hiya, in a few places now I've been seeing incorrect guides to setting up REAPERS NINJAM Client, ReaNINJAM, within REAPER.
So to save time helping 1 person at a time undo or redo setups from other guides I decided to made, I hope, a simple guide.
This also covers setting up Reason, Ableton, Cubase and simular programs to send audio direct to REAPER. With some ReWire can be used but some are having problems getting them to connect so this is a work around for them people.
Also if you wish to connect software to REAPER then you will need to have ticked the ReaASIO option when installing REAPER. If you do not see ReaRoute as explained later in this guide then simple install reaper again, there is no need to uninstall any previous REAPER Version. I recommend you download the latest version to make sure your up to date.
And remember, select the ReaRoute ASIO Driver when installing. If you do not see it, look under Additional Functionality and you will see ReaRoute ASIO Driver.

PART 1 (REAPERS AUDIO SETUP):

1. Load Reaper.
2. Click Options at the top, then look to the bottom of the list and select Preferences, or press CTRL + P.
3. In the Preferences window select Device just below Audio.
4. Under Audio System select ASIO.
5. Under Asio Driver select your sound cards Asio, if there is not one there goto www.asio4all.com then download and install asio4all.
Now close and rerun REAPER and follow throught to step 5 again, but you will now see ASIO4ALL v2 or simular, select this or your soundcards asio driver.
6. The next options is Enable Inputs, tick this. Bow under this you will see First and Last, this is the first and last inputs that will be available to you in REAPER. So for example if it says 1. Line, 2. Line, 3. Mic, 4. Mic and so on then the first of each 2 is Left as in 1. Line = Line In Left and 2. Line would be Line In Right.
So if say you just wanted to use your mic input for your guitar you would select First = 3. Mic and Last would be 4. Mic then you have the left and right of your computers microphone. You may think this seems silly to have it like this but some people can use there mic input with a splitter jack and have guitar and mic in on the same input but controlled separately in REAPER.
Now you will see underneath Output Range, this is like input range but for your outputs. Some people use there optical out or have more than 1 output on there sound cards, many come with 5.1 or 7.1 outputs so you may have 2 or 3 outputs and this can be handy if you want to goto an Hiya, Amp or similar as well as going out to the Computer Speakers.
So in first and last once again 1. Wave and 2. Wave will represent Left and Right. You may see at 1 and 2 one output you want then at 5 and 6 the other output, you will have to select 1. as your first and 6. as your last.

Ok now leave the rest at its default unless u feel confident enough to know what needs changing for your sound card.

Thats the Audio setup of REAPER sorted, now lets setup Your input and ReaNINJAM.

PART 2 (REAPERS NINJAM Setup):

1. First of you need to create a Track for your input. If you have already tried to setup NINJAM in REAPER then you may have made tracks and have them routing to other tracks etc. this is not needed for using REAPER just for NINJAM and NINJAM Session Mode. I suggest you delete any tracks you may have created from other guides. Ok now press CTRL + T or right click the empty space and select Insert Track, either way you should get a new track.
2. Next to the number of the track there is a space for naming your track, click this space then enter text for that track, something like Guitar Input.
3. Now hover your mouse over the bottom of the track and it will change to a double vertical arrow cursor, now click and hold and move your mouse down to enlarge the tack so show more hidden options.
4. You should now see a peak meter (volume meter), a speaker icon and REC IN. Click the speaker repeatedly until its just grey with no no-entry sign or A on it (newer REAPER shows solid white).

Setting your Input

5. On the peak meter right click your mouse and move down to Mono Input or Stereo Input and now the inputs you set in the PART 1 will be visible, if not then go back and repeat PART 1. Select either your mono or stereo input, say your MIC if mono or MIC / MIC if stereo, and thats your input selected.
Now you will see just above the peak meter and to the left slightly a grey circle, click this and it turns red.
Now you have Enabled your track and if your guitar or instrument is plugged in you should hear it, you may need to adjust volumes etc.
You can now click FX and add some live effects to your instrument.

5.1. This extra step if for people who want to connect programs like Reason, Ableton, Cubase and similar directly to REAPER.
When in step 5 you select the input you will also see ReaRoute Channel 1, 2, 3 and so on in mono input or ReaRoute Channel 1 / ReaRoute Channel 2 and so on in stereo input. Select Stereo Input then select ReaRoute Channel 1 / ReaRoute Channel 2.
Now goto your music software and to its audio setup, select the ASIO Driver as ReaRoute ASIO then select ReaRoute 1 and 2 for left and right if it gives u the extra option.
If you run 2 or more pieces of software then set one on ReaRoute 1/2 then another on 3/4 and so on, then make a track for each in REAPER and set the stereo input to ReaRoute Channel 1 / ReaRoute Channel 2 then ReaRoute Channel 3 / ReaRoute Channel 4 for the next track and so on.

Enabling NINJAM in REAPER

6. Almost done, at the bottom of REAPER there is a MASTER Volume slider, on this small panel there are also a few others things and one is a FX, click this FX to bring up the Master FX Chain window.
In this window the Add button, this will bring up the Add FX to MASTER window. In this window select Cockos in the left panel, then in the right panel select ReaNINJAM, you may see VST: ReaNINJAM (Cockos), if so select that insted.
Next Click OK, the Add FX to MASTER window will now vanish and you will be back on the Master FX Chain window.
In the left Panel you will see the ReaNINJAM plugin selected, If the square box to the left of the ReaNINJAM is not ticked then click and tick it.
If by now the ReaNINJAM client window has not popped up and showing on the screen then to the right of the Master FX Chain window click Show ReaNINJAM Console, if you do not see this then click the ReaNINJAM once to highlight it then you should see the Show ReaNINJAM Console button.
You can now close the Master FX Chain window by clicking the x at the top right of the Master FX Chain window.

Now goto File up top of REAPER and select Save project...
Give it a name like NINJAM REAPER Setup and thats it, your done.
Just click connect on the ReaNINJAM window and it will show servers and who is in them, or enter another servers address manually.

Have fun and cya soon on REAPER/NINJAM.

Last edited by AndyMc; 01-03-2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Updated
AndyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:11 AM   #2
pljones

Above applies to hardware or software audio feeds into Reaper. For MIDI feeds with virtual instruments hosted in Reaper, you need to add a step 5.2 (dropping 5 and 5.1 if not needed).

5.2) As ever, create a track, setting it to "monitor track input while recording" and "record disable (input monitor only)", arm the track and turn on monitoring. The track also needs to accept MIDI input from your device -- right-click->MIDI Inputs->All MIDI Inputs->All Channels is a good starting point. Now, click the FX button to insert track FX and select your virtual instrument. When you play your MIDI device, you should see a small red square appear at the left end of the track meter and hear some output.
pljones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:45 PM   #3
AndyMc

OK I'm bumping this as I'm having to keep getting links for people as its slipping down the pecking order.

So BUMP
Old 10-02-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
spuddle

Could someone please Sticky this thread?
spuddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:04 AM   #5
cryptomail

Default Am I someone? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuddle View Post
Could someone please Sticky this thread?
I think I am
cryptomail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:56 AM   #6
spuddle

Nice one
spuddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #7
smasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by pljones View Post
Above applies to hardware or software audio feeds into Reaper. For MIDI feeds with virtual instruments hosted in Reaper, you need to add a step 5.2 (dropping 5 and 5.1 if not needed).

5.2) As ever, create a track, setting it to "monitor track input while recording" and "record disable (input monitor only)", arm the track and turn on monitoring. The track also needs to accept MIDI input from your device -- right-click->MIDI Inputs->All MIDI Inputs->All Channels is a good starting point. Now, click the FX button to insert track FX and select your virtual instrument. When you play your MIDI device, you should see a small red square appear at the left end of the track meter and hear some output.
Don't understand this.

Record disable then arm the track part.
smasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:43 PM   #8
lambizi

hi...

i am new here, and i dont know anything about anything related ti ninjam, or tecnical-informatical questions, so please be patient with me...maybe u can help me, or at least adress me in a place where i can be helped out...

my question is simple...

i downloaded Ninjam+Reaper, but whenever i want to connect, i dont know what to write into the "connect to host" space...it would be nice to get on nijam, and get to meet the cats up there...to jam, or to exange ideas...could u help?...

John.
lambizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:59 PM   #9
AndyMc

If thou should see connecteth to thy servers in list, with in thou connect windowth. See thy test.ninjam.com:2049 to conecteth to thy server and through audio will flow.
If thy haveth not ableness to connect then thou try thy typing of server adresseth in thou formeth of test.ninjam.com:2049

Ifeth this not to connect to thy to thou server then trieth thy other servers.

Thou trieth unto them these servers:

Thou
test.ninjam.com:2049
Thy
test.ninjam.com:2050
Thou
test.ninjam.com:2051
And Thy
test.ninjam.com:2052

Hopeth thou will endeavor in thy quest for connection.
May the lords of NINJAM be with you.

Andy Mcieth.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:39 PM   #10
lambizi

u must be nuts...
Old 12-19-2008, 06:06 AM   #11
AndyMc

But yet I have the intelligence to post in the right section of a forum. :S
Old 12-27-2008, 11:20 PM   #12
lambizi

an intelligent nut then...ok...thanks...
Old 08-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #13
AndyMc

Hiya all, I'm on Twitter as well now so you can link up with me there too if ya need to get hold of me.

http://twitter.com/andymccance
Old 06-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #14
smasha

Too hard for me.I can connect to ninjam but all I want is too record them and record my midi input playing a software instrument.
Any noob guide on that?

I'm not very tech.
I'm a musician.

I got lost.
smasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:34 PM   #15
WaterRitual

Default Problems with ReaNinjam

Some installations won't even find ReaNINJAM as a valid plugin.

Currently, I get full response on Reaper in the meters, but nothing appears in ReaNinjam, whether I diretcy it from a different track or I put it on a single track. Always, the signal from my interface (m-audio or Presonus). I cannot get the signal to go through to ReaNinjam, though I have already been doing so for years.

- WR
WaterRitual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:16 PM   #16
pljones

Both of the set ups you describe are not in line with the recommended approach. Put ReaNINJAM on your Master out.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:31 AM   #17
Chris4943

So thanks to this sticky I'm up and running on ReaNinjam. But I've got 2 things I'd really like to sort out but can't figure out:

1) How do I send my tracks to Ninjam without monitoring them? I usually don't monitor my vocal tracks because I'm running them through my I/O's hardware for zero latency. If I have to turn on monitoring I get very annoying latency.
I have found a workaround, but it seems kinda overly redundant. If I set the Master to 4 channels, create a 2nd track with the same input as the 1st but with the monitoring on and parent channels 3/4, I can then go to Ninjam and set the local track to 3/4, and in the Ninjam fx plugin control window I can set the router to output 1 and 2 but not 3 and 4. Seems like a lot for just not wanting to hit the monitor button right?

Ok, secondly: How can I record just the incoming tracks from OTHER musicians to a dedicated track in Reaper without anything else? I realize Reaper saves the tracks for mixing later, but I don't wanna mix later, I wanna mix now! I tried the version where I put ReaNinjam on its own track and not the Master, but it picks up incoming AND my local tracks. I just want the other musician's tracks all by themselves without me on the track. Actually, if there's say, 2 other musicians in the room, I'd like to record them each on their own track. Is there a way to do this or do I just gotta wait til I'm done and then go in and get the clipsort file?

Last edited by Chris4943; 11-17-2015 at 12:37 AM.
Chris4943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:04 AM   #18
pljones

ReaNINJAM should be an insert effect on your Master channel. There's no point putting it anywhere else, really.

Turn off direct monitoring. You must only hear your audio through NINJAM to be in time with the click and hence in time with everyone else. Reduce your buffer size from 512 to 64 to reduce the latency.

For multi-track recording, go into ReaNINJAM, File, Preferences and turn it on.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:08 PM   #19
pljones

OK, about time to post this here. I just realised there's no explanation around what others in a jam are hearing when you're playing and it's one of the really, really not obvious parts of the whole thing.

tl/dr: People don't hear you when you play. They hear you later. You play on "1", they hear you when that gets to them, delayed until the next time they get to "1". Different people may hear different people's "1" mixed together with theirs...

That's the short version.

Let's start the long version with a picture. Yeah, it's not pretty...
Code:
A: |0: a0/b-/c- :|1: a1/b-/c- :|2: a2/b1/c1 :|3: a3/b2/c2 :|
B: |0: a-/b-/c- :|1: a0/b1/c- :|2: a1/b2/c- :|3: a2/b3/c1 :|
C: |0: a-/b-/c- :|1: a0/b-/c1 :|2: a1/b1/c2 :|3: a2/b2/c3 :|
"A", "B" and "C" are three people who have joined a single NINJAM session. The "x: ../../.. :|" bits are what each of them hears and plays for each interval after they join.

A starts playing, so that's "a0", playing to nothing from B or C.

B and C wait until they hear "a0", A's first interval, and start playing when they hear it. Both happen to get it at the start of the next interval.

A, of course, does not hear B or C until after they finish playing, so plays "a1" to nothing, too.

B's "b1" gets to A and C ready for the next interval.

C's "c1", however - due to the timing of A, B and C joining the server - gets to A for the next interval but to B for the one after.

I'll let that lot sink in - I go on about it more in the next message.

----

So how do you make coherent music with this apparent "mess"? You understand musical form (and you follow the metronome).

Like I said, "x: ../../.. :|" (or, for example B's, "3: a2/b3/c1 :|") is an "interval" in NINJAM terms.

Each interval is a number of beats.

Each time an interval starts, each player starts hearing an interval from the other players, delayed to synchronise each other player's "1" to their "1", like I said at the start. (That's why following the metronome is important.)

Examine most simple songs and their form becomes apparent. There are even names like "12 bar blues" to describe that form.

Taking that example, what does "12 bar blues" mean?

Aside for those not familiar with the terms:
It is important to read "bars" as "bars" and "beats" as "beats" and understand that they are not the same thing.

In "12 bar blues", each "bar" has four "beats". That means you could call it "48 beat blues".

That's the important thing: the interval should be set to 48 beats. You multiply the number of bars by the number of beats in a bar, which you can take as 4. (Most people struggle if the beats per bar isn't 4, to be honest.)

Then each player will hear the blues chords from one 12 bar phrase at the start of the next.

Most rock and pop uses 8 bar phrases, two very similar 8 bar phrases or a 16 bar phrase. (Variations on that, such as four or eight 2 bar phrases, etc, are fairly common, too.)

Even rap might repeat one 4 bar phrase three times and then use a new 4 bar phrase, before repeating the form. In that case you could consider either 8 (if the last 4 bars isn't much different from the one 8 bars before) or 16 bars as the form. 4 bars would not work -- especially in NINJAM, because of the clash between the various different stages each player in the jam might be at.

Note that "form" can also be thought of as the chord sequence. Each chord will cover one or more beats but usually there will be one or two per bar, though sometimes more in passing. What you don't want to hear is two dissonant chords played against each other because the interval doesn't match the form.

So...
32BPI (8 bars) is good for most things - but not 12 bar blues.
48BPI (12 bars) is good for blues and straightforward jazz without too much cleverness.
64BPI (16 bars) is pushing most people's patience, though it's not too bad above 140BPM...

But you can go beyond this. I've had a few vaguely successful attempts at Brubeck's Take Five, with willing participants.

Last edited by pljones; 03-21-2020 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #20
user7776543

Default Seperate channel for loops?

I'd like to create a seperate channel/send for loops, so that people could adjust the volume of my instrument seperately from the volume of the loops I send.

Is this possible? Could someone explain how? I'm sure it's very simple, I'm jut overlooking something.
user7776543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #21
the all new rob

The secret is in post 13 of this thread.

Eveything in the first post applies, except
1) you would put reaninjam on a track other than the master
2) make that a 4-channel track
3) you manually route all other instrument/loop tracks to that track, using either 1/2 or 3/4 as destination to break them into separate ninjam channels
4) you uncheck the master/parent send for all the instrument/loop tracks to ensure you are monitoring the level correctly.
5) create your second reaninjam local channel and assign it to 3/4.
6) rock out
Old 12-11-2008, 08:40 PM   #22
user7776543

Quote:
Originally Posted by the all new rob View Post
3) you manually route all other instrument/loop tracks to that track, using either 1/2 or 3/4 as destination to break them into separate ninjam channels
How do I accomplish this step?
user7776543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:45 AM   #23
the all new rob

For each track you wish to route, click the IO button, then create new sends to the reaninjam track, and while you're there uncheck the master/parent send box (upper left corner) which will knock out step 4.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #24
AndyMc

Should still work having ReaNINJAM on master. Just set the stereo out (the i/o) of the track to say 1/2 then 3/4 then 5/6 and so on then on ReaNINJAM make channels and set them to stereo 1/2 or 3/4 and so on.
If 1/2 picks up everything then use 3/4 to 7/8, not tried it so not sure if this is the case but if routing is accurate this method should work.

Even though ReaNINJAM is on Master FX it should still be picking up as input for channel the Stereo 1/2 and so on.

Last edited by AndyMc; 12-13-2008 at 06:36 PM.