Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 01-24-2018, 08:54 PM   #1
azap
Human being with feelings

Default can you use x86 (32 bit) plugins on a 64 bit computer

can you use x86 (32 bit) plugins on a 64 bit computer. I have been running these plugins and all of a sudden they stopped configuring. Is this an issue because of the fact that it is a 64 bit computer or is something else happening. Ty
azap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:17 PM   #2
eliot

I use 32-bit plugs all the time; that's one of Reaper's most attractive features. Did you change the VST search path at all? Did you rename any of the directories?

Recently I had to reinstall everything, and I had to re-scan plugins multiple times before everything showed up in the list. Maybe it's something that happens to others as well? Anyway, it can't hurt to clear the cache and re-scan.
eliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:07 AM   #3
slipstick

32bit plugins work fine here on a 64bit computer even using the 64bit version of Reaper.

What exactly do you mean by "they stopped configuring"?

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:55 AM   #4
azap

Hi Guys, thanks for helping. I get this message: The following effects were in the project file and are not available. Free G and MT power drumkkit.
Both are free plugins. I have messed with adding folders to the plug in list, but not recently. I really did not know what I am doing and just made it search all over the place. Then the Impulse responses, were another thing I did not know where to put them so I duplicated the files and put some with the plugins. But, all of that was working. Recently reaper stopped loading, so I ran some anti spy ware. Still everything seemed to work, until I got the waves platinum bundle, which does not seem to be available and this error is happening. I will try to clear the cash and rescan. I did hit the auto detect, and I think that may have wiped out some of the other folders I had listed to scan. I am not getting the stopping error but I lost plugins. Ireally need to clean this stuff up.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:40 AM   #5
azap

So I went and put back in the other vst pathways and copied a some of the plugins to reaper and I got the reaper has stopped error again. when you instal plugins, should the dll go to the reaper file for plugins?
Old 01-25-2018, 04:48 AM   #6
dug dog

I don't think that's the proper place to put them. It's best to have them all in the same place and, on a recent set up, I created a file on my main drive called "VST Plugins" with 2 subfiles - "32 bit" and "64 bit".

Several VST's use an install application (as opposed to just copying the DLL in to the proper folder) and they will often try to install to a default folder - "Steinberg...." (as the VST standard was a Steinberg creation (or something like that). In such cases, you need to tell it where to install during the set up process.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:43 AM   #7
eliot

I have one directory on my D: drive for all VST, sorted by developer and/or type, so when Windows needs to be reinstalled, I just add "D:\VST;" to the start of Reaper's plugin path, and click re-scan.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:57 AM   #8
azap

Thank you guys. Do I need to pull the vsts that I installed out of the reaper folder? I have spent days downloading free plugins and it is just a mess. thanks. Also, where do the impulse packs go and info files for certain plugins? Do yo put them in the same folder?
Old 01-26-2018, 07:27 AM   #9
DarkStar

It depends.

If you just put the plug-in's .dll file into that folder, then you can almost certainly move into the other folder.

If you ran any installer you may be able to move the dll. But subsequent installs (updates etc) may run into problems or use the original folder or ... The best thing to do is uninstall, then run the installer agian, picking the right destination folder.

If you can avoid it, do not put the other files in the same folder. The reason for that is that Reaper scans that folder every time it is started and the more files the longer it will take. Some plug-ins will let you put those files elsewhere, others won't.

But, "I have spent days downloading free plugins" - do not install any of them until you need them.

PS Did you mean Sonalksis FreeG? If so that is available in 64-bit and 32-bit editions.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:08 PM   #10
eliot

I like to keep info and settings files next to the VSTs, but impulse files belong in the samples folder hierarchy.

And to second what Darkstar said, downloading everything available is a mistake. I can say that because I did it. Better to search out something you need, then test the options and keep the best one.