Old 08-02-2020, 06:14 PM   #1
wolfereeno
Human being with feelings

Default Import a Project from Protools?

We have a song from a project that was fairly elaborately recorded in protools by some really experienced engineers who were teaching students as part of a course.

One song wasn't really finished - but they did complete a final mix as part of the course. I'm interested in trying to mess around and maybe loop some of the stems and parts.

Is it possible to move a project from Protools into Reaper? At the very least can Reaper read the audio without conversion? I don't care about the plug ins or even the mix. Just some of the basic recorded tracks.

Are there any steps one can try in Pro Tools to make it easier? Looks like the Consolidate process would help. Anything else?
wolfereeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:27 PM   #2
Tone Ranger

If you know someone with Pro Tools, consolidating the tracks from the beginning of the session would work. If you don't, then everything except for the plugins can be brought over to Reaper using AATranslator. It works great, but it's not cheap...I do have it though, so if you're stuck I could translate it for you if you're able to send the files over!
Tone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:40 PM   #3
wolfereeno

Thanks! I think my friend has a copy of protools. I'll ask him to try to load the project and consolidate the tracks. He won't have most of the plug ins either.

So after that there would just be N tracks of WAVS that all start at 0?
wolfereeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:18 PM   #4
Tone Ranger

That's it! You should just be able to import all the WAVs to separate tracks at the beginning of your Reaper session, and everything should line up right.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:54 AM   #5
drichard

Yes, though they will all be mono files, in my experience. I worked with a couple of studios who exported from Pro Tools, and I always saw stereo tracks produce two mono files as output. For example, a stereo track named SYNTH will produce two files named SYNTH-L and SYNTH-R. In Reaper you can choose to keep them as mono files, or combine them. It's possible PT is capable of exporting stereo files, but the studios I worked with always exported two mono files.

One more thing - if you want to keep tempo info intact you can set the new Reaper project to the same tempo as it was in PT. The songs I did used a single tempo, but I was able to match up bar/beat perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfereeno View Post
Thanks! I think my friend has a copy of protools. I'll ask him to try to load the project and consolidate the tracks. He won't have most of the plug ins either.

So after that there would just be N tracks of WAVS that all start at 0?
drichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:06 PM   #6
Gass n Klang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Ranger View Post
If you don't, then everything except for the plugins can be brought over to Reaper using AATranslator. It works great, but it's not cheap...
Well I think it works just "ok". I also have the full version but it just works with very basic projects. I had big troubles when the projects were edited with beat detective (a great tool you always will use especially for drum editing). Besides, stereo tracks are converted to just one mono track in reaper (perhaps due to the fact that pro tools just combines two mono tracks to one stereo track, so the stereotrack contains two monofiles). This often leads me to just do the whole editing in pro tools before before consolidating files and switching to reaper for mixing.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:33 PM   #7
Tone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
Well I think it works just "ok". I also have the full version but it just works with very basic projects. I had big troubles when the projects were edited with beat detective (a great tool you always will use especially for drum editing). Besides, stereo tracks are converted to just one mono track in reaper (perhaps due to the fact that pro tools just combines two mono tracks to one stereo track, so the stereotrack contains two monofiles). This often leads me to just do the whole editing in pro tools before before consolidating files and switching to reaper for mixing.
Interesting - I haven't brought over Beat Detective files to Reaper using AATranslator. I've had no issues bringing stereo tracks from PT to Reaper with AAtranslator though, if I'm understanding what you're saying properly. Have you spoken to Michael at AAT about these issues? Any time I've had an issue he's been very quick to look into it and fix it!
Old 08-07-2020, 08:24 AM   #8
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Ranger View Post
Interesting - I haven't brought over Beat Detective files to Reaper using AATranslator. I've had no issues bringing stereo tracks from PT to Reaper with AAtranslator though, if I'm understanding what you're saying properly. Have you spoken to Michael at AAT about these issues? Any time I've had an issue he's been very quick to look into it and fix it!
Yes, probably should give me a yell as we have been making lots of improvements with PT conversions and we may well have done a little work in that area.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:29 AM   #9
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
Yes, though they will all be mono files, in my experience. I worked with a couple of studios who exported from Pro Tools, and I always saw stereo tracks produce two mono files as output. For example, a stereo track named SYNTH will produce two files named SYNTH-L and SYNTH-R. In Reaper you can choose to keep them as mono files, or combine them. It's possible PT is capable of exporting stereo files, but the studios I worked with always exported two mono files.

One more thing - if you want to keep tempo info intact you can set the new Reaper project to the same tempo as it was in PT. The songs I did used a single tempo, but I was able to match up bar/beat perfectly.
A couple of things....
In many versions of PT, stereo and all poly channel media are usually split into mono media files and made to 'appear' on the timeline like they are still stereo, etc.
AATranslator will (if the media is present during conversion) recombine the split mono files.
The latest beta versions will read the tempo map and time signature changes in ProTools and convert them to Reaper, etal
Old 08-07-2020, 08:33 AM   #10
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfereeno View Post
We have a song from a project that was fairly elaborately recorded in protools by some really experienced engineers who were teaching students as part of a course.

One song wasn't really finished - but they did complete a final mix as part of the course. I'm interested in trying to mess around and maybe loop some of the stems and parts.

Is it possible to move a project from Protools into Reaper? At the very least can Reaper read the audio without conversion? I don't care about the plug ins or even the mix. Just some of the basic recorded tracks.

Are there any steps one can try in Pro Tools to make it easier? Looks like the Consolidate process would help. Anything else?
If it is just the one song send it to me and I will just convert it for you
PM me if you like - just keep in mind that I'm in Sydney