Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-27-2020, 04:55 AM   #1
Baptiste Friscourt
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper as software to improve sound on YouTube

Hello!

I have a probably very dumb question. I m using reaper to create music, but I recently joined an association that publicises scientific researches and makes interview by streamyard. Can I use reaper to put a limiter and a distresser on my voice and then send it to streamyard live? The video is then recorded by a third party and uploaded to YouTube. Does someone know if it is possible and how to do it ?
Thank you!

Windows 10, focusrite scarlett 2i4, tc helicon Create XT, Sennheiser e 845s
Baptiste Friscourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:41 AM   #2
vitalker

Sure you can do it. What issue do you have?
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:55 AM   #3
Baptiste Friscourt

My issue it that I don't know how to configure reaper so it acts between the audio interface and the webrowser
Old 07-27-2020, 05:56 AM   #4
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baptiste Friscourt View Post
My issue it that I don't know how to configure reaper so it acts between the audio interface and the webrowser
I'm not sure I get it. Do you want to edit youtube video in Reaper in real time? It's not possible though. You'll need to download it first.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:03 AM   #5
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
I'm not sure I get it. Do you want to edit youtube video in Reaper in real time? It's not possible though. You'll need to download it first.
OP isn't trying to fix existing content. Streamyard is a live streaming platform. OP wants to clean voice output for live broadcast. I have never done this, so will shut up now.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:03 AM   #6
Baptiste Friscourt

Nope, I want to use reaper as a live pedalboard, sending a better audio to streamyard while host of the streamyard session is recording.

As far as I tried it seems to me that the signal goes

Source - interface - reaper - return
............................ - streamyard - YouTube

And I would like
Source - interface - reaper - streamyard - YouTube
...............................- return

When it's recorded.
Once recorded it's then uploaded to YouTube
Old 07-27-2020, 06:19 AM   #7
vitalker

I'm not sure, but it may be possible with ReaCast.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:52 AM   #8
serr

Creating an internet streaming website is out of the scope of Reaper. Reaper is a DAW. It will cover everything and everything audio related but it isn't also a website creation tool. Reaper IS an excellent choice for live audio and live broadcast mixing though.

Reaper can work with audio to the highest levels. The limitation will be the available bandwidth you will need to reduce to for the streaming service. Higher bandwidth for broadcast is more expensive as the bandwidth goes up. Customers on the receiving end will need a certain level of service to stream your highest quality.

You also mention making a lo-fi distorted voice with fx. "put a limiter and a distresser on my voice". Reaper can do any and all of that.

You can insert a DAW between an incoming audio stream and your output device if you wish. This won't change anything about the streaming quality of any website you get a stream from or send a stream to though. The easiest way to insert a DAW app between a live incoming stream and your output device is to use a virtual audio device app like Soundflower or Loopback. Assign system audio to the virtual device. Make ag aggregate device of the virtual device + your audio interface used for output. Select the aggregate device in Reaper. Pick up the incoming audio from the virtual device channels. Output to your interface.

Creating a streaming service webpage will be more about working with web development software than the audio part.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:02 AM   #9
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
You also mention making a lo-fi distorted voice with fx. "put a limiter and a distresser on my voice". Reaper can do any and all of that.
FWIW, My guess was that distresser = Distressor VST (it's a compressor).

I don't think OP is trying to build a website, he's just looking to stream audio:

Voice > Mic > Interface > Reaper > Compressor > Limiter > Plugin > Streamyard

Reacast is a plugin which comes with Reaper for the purposes of streaming. I believe Voxengo do a poplar one too. My guess - and it is only a guess - is that either would connect with Steamyard. They're both free. Op might want to look at Reastream too. (I have no idea what any of this stuff does, but I did, at least, read the original post!)

I never was very good at shutting up.

Last edited by Fex; 07-27-2020 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:34 AM   #10
Baptiste Friscourt

Thank you all.

Indeed, it's not for streaming purposes, it's just to better the audio signal I'm sending through streamyard. The distresser prevent distortion due to high volume and the compressor limits the dynamic range of the signal.

What I want is to define the reaper out as an input for streamyard.

I'll look into the aggregating sources.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:05 AM   #11
Stoker

You might be able to use ReaRoute. I used this when Using Jamulus (remote jam software). If tou route you master track to one of the ReaRoute outputs you should be able to select that output as an input into other software. I've not tried it with the software you're using but it worked well enough with Jamulus.
Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:07 AM   #12
Fex

Quote:
What I want is to define the reaper out as an input for streamyard.
You're not the first to face this problem:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=236865
(not helpful, no answers)

In order to tell you how to configure Reaper as an output, I think we'd need to know what input Streamyard is expecting....

You might get more sense out of Streamyard's Helpdesk - apparently there is a “Having issues?” link in Streamyard which will pull up Facebook messenger where you can chat with them.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:29 AM   #13
Baptiste Friscourt

Thank you!
Old 07-27-2020, 10:39 AM   #14
Fex

If you do find the answer elsewhere, perhaps you could post it here?
Old 07-27-2020, 10:49 AM   #15
Baptiste Friscourt

From Dana, customer support streamyard

Yeah you can use the DAW
If you want the processed audio to be used
You ll need to route the DAW to your audio mixer
The final outputs need to be channel 1&2
Old 07-27-2020, 11:44 AM   #16
Fex

LOL, brilliant idea that was, then!

Most devices default to channels 1&2, which serve as stereo left and right. (People making or listening to surround sound systems will have different setups, but that's not relevant.)

The answer is lurking somewhere on this forum, but it might be quicker to wait for the right genius to see your post.

In the mean time, the answer is definitely somewhere here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ard+AND+Reaper
Old 07-27-2020, 11:49 AM   #17
Fex

Or, you know, assuming that you don't have an external mixer, tell Dana that Reaper is your mixer (and outputting to channels 1 & 2), and focusrite scarlett 2i4 is your audio interface and all are sitting happily on the same computer as this Steamyard thingummy, Windows 10, and how do you connect, please.

If Reaper is supposed to recognise this Streamyard thingummy as an output device, then I guess that might be something you'd find at

Options > Preferences > Audio > Device

Check audio interface settings on your computer too. And system sound settings on Windows.

My money's still on the plugin. But I still know nothing about this stuff.

Last edited by Fex; 07-27-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:06 PM   #18
Fex

Also, you might want to think about changing the title of your thread. This is little to do with "software to improve sound on YouTube" and much to do with "Using Streamyard streaming platform with Reaper." Different users will be interested in each.

Also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
use a virtual audio device app like Soundflower or Loopback. Assign system audio to the virtual device. Make ag aggregate device of the virtual device + your audio interface used for output. Select the aggregate device in Reaper. Pick up the incoming audio from the virtual device channels. Output to your interface.
.... this. I dunno. Might work.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:16 PM   #19
Baptiste Friscourt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
Also, you might want to think about changing the title of your thread. This is little to do with "software to improve sound on YouTube" and much to do with "Using Streamyard streaming platform with Reaper." Different users will be interested in each.

Also:.... this. I dunno. Might work.
I tried, I can t edit the title sadly
Old 07-27-2020, 01:19 PM   #20
Baptiste Friscourt

I wonder if i couldnt just use the out xlr of the scarlett, an plug it in into the 2 nd input of the scarlett and tell my pc to use that one as the main input. I don t know if windows can handle that
Old 07-27-2020, 03:13 PM   #21
Fergler

Easiest way for me:
https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.p...vailable-free/
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:30 PM   #22
domzy

Quote:
From Dana, customer support streamyard

Yeah you can use the DAW
If you want the processed audio to be used
You ll need to route the DAW to your audio mixer
The final outputs need to be channel 1&2
what drivers are you using?
i think the advice above may require you to be running Reaper with the same drivers that streamyard is using, so probably switching to WASAPI may help?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:48 AM   #23
Baptiste Friscourt

The default driver of the Scarlett is the asio
Old 07-28-2020, 01:01 PM   #24
james0tucson

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen. I think this will work on a smaller Scarlett, but it may have to be 3rd Gen. I couldn't do it on a first gen Scarlett 2i4.

As far as Windows is concerned, the audio device is "Focusrite USB Audio". That plays to "playback 1+2" which is muted in Focusrite control. Focusrite control routes "playback 3+4" to "Monitor Outputs 1+2".

In Reaper I have an input channel that monitors "Loop 1+2" from the Focusrite via ASIO. That track goes through an EQ and a Limiter, and routes to Reaper's master track, which routes to "playback 3+4".

This works really, really well for me. I can capture audio from anything Windows plays, I can add effects, I can mix other things, I can work in an entirely separate context on something else with different channels while Windows audio happily routes through Reaper and out to a monitor or headphone mix. Wouldn't trade this setup for anything.
james0tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:10 AM   #25
Baptiste Friscourt

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0tucson View Post
I have a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen. I think this will work on a smaller Scarlett, but it may have to be 3rd Gen. I couldn't do it on a first gen Scarlett 2i4.

As far as Windows is concerned, the audio device is "Focusrite USB Audio". That plays to "playback 1+2" which is muted in Focusrite control. Focusrite control routes "playback 3+4" to "Monitor Outputs 1+2".

In Reaper I have an input channel that monitors "Loop 1+2" from the Focusrite via ASIO. That track goes through an EQ and a Limiter, and routes to Reaper's master track, which routes to "playback 3+4".

This works really, really well for me. I can capture audio from anything Windows plays, I can add effects, I can mix other things, I can work in an entirely separate context on something else with different channels while Windows audio happily routes through Reaper and out to a monitor or headphone mix. Wouldn't trade this setup for anything.
Damn that's a good idea
Old 07-29-2020, 04:29 PM   #26
superblonde.org

I have done this successfully with 2 tracks (stereo) or sometimes 4 tracks (4 in from interface, 2 out as stereo mix)

It is OS specific.

On macOs you use a virtual sound driver and create a aggregate device which includes the bundle of devices you want and use that device in the DAW, which now has:
inp interface x 4 (or however many)
out built-in imac speakers
out virtual driver (i.e. Soundflower 2ch)

In the DAW you get the 4 live instruments or mic-in's on their 4 individual tracks, then create a Routing on the MASTER to make a Hardware Output to direct the master mix to the virtual driver.

In the other app (browser or live streamer), you set the sound preferences or "audio devices" as such:
mic: virtual driver
speakers: built-in speakers

Success during livestreams and no perceivable latency.

i.e. Signal Path:

instruments ---/4/-via-aggregate---> DAW ----/2/-via-soundflower----> streaming app
superblonde.org is offline   Reply With Quote