Old 01-23-2015, 10:56 AM   #1
mmmb
Human being with feelings

Default Full Multitouch in reaper

hi everyone!

I know that reaper supports some multitouch gestures, but most important (at least for me) Can i control multiple faders with a multitouch screen?

A year back this was not possible.

Can we expect this in reaper 5?

Thanks!
mmmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:39 PM   #2
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmb View Post

Only the devs know for sure and they ain't talking.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:25 AM   #3
jm duchenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmb View Post
Since there is a "Touch screen mixer" layout in the list, I would say that we can expect ;-)
But perhaps is this only for bigger faders ?
I suppose that we will know in a few weeks.
jm duchenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:04 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm duchenne View Post
Since there is a "Touch screen mixer" layout in the list, I would say that we can expect ;-)
But perhaps is this only for bigger faders ?
I suppose that we will know in a few weeks.
I would bet that "touch screen" implies no more than what it says: a fat-finger-proof layout. Indeed, "only bigger faders", knobs and buttons on the GUI. Enabling multi-touch support is quite something else than (merely) a touch screen-friendly GUI.

PS: I don't think we're even supposed to mention this 'list' here.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:25 PM   #5
WorldofNoise

did this happen in Reaper 5? I don't see mention of it, and I don't have a screen to test it, but I would LOVE if it was natively multitouch like Studio One 3 now is.
WorldofNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:27 PM   #6
jm duchenne

Not yet for true multitouch.
Until it, a better touch detection for current UI would already be a first big improvement.
We must wait
Old 08-13-2015, 11:47 AM   #7
musicbynumbers

can't say I don't want this because...

... I do!
Old 06-23-2016, 09:50 PM   #8
DSHODGE

Default Multitouch Reaper Control Alternative

After a whole lot of trial and error and some experimenting, I came up with a decent compromise to direct reaper multitouch control. I am controlling reaper through Mackie Control and an android app called Touch DAW and a Android emulator for Windows called Andy. TouchDAW is layed out like an MCU or other similar hardware control surfaces. You get 8 faders and Transport controls, among other things. Everything works pretty smoothly and where I prefer using my hardware MCU, this give me additional control. I can us it as a Mackie Extender and have control of 16 tracks at once. It's not perfect, but it's not bad either, especially for someone without a hardware control.

Andy is just an Android emulator, it supports multi touch and is free:
http://www.andyroid.net/

TOUCH DAW is available for $5 here:
http://www.humatic.de/htools/touchdaw/download.htm

Also on that page is a link to mnet/MIDIHub which is supposed to work to connect to your DAW but I couldn't figure it out so I used RTP Midi instead:
http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html

Setup was a bit of a hassle so if anyone wants further details let me know.
DSHODGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:53 AM   #9
bcslaam

Better than emulating a controller via Touchdaw which i also purchased and persisted for a while is a more flexible multitouch controller in itself - TouchOSC or Lemur. There is an amazing TouchOSC template that gives heaps of control and feedback. Including track names, effect parameter names, full channel strips. It also seems OSC is being continually developed in reaper.
bcslaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:00 AM   #10
nader

Default im wait for multi touch.

i and many people, wait for multi touch support.
for on screen keyboard is very useful.
nader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:33 AM   #11
Superfly76

I am hopeful for multitouch support as well. Especially with the mixer. Have a big 27" dell 20point multi touch monitor that works well with Windows 10. Works with other multitouch enabled DAWs already. Really with it would work with Reaper. It would make the Slate Raven obsolete.
Superfly76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:51 AM   #12
jm duchenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly76 View Post
I am hopeful for multitouch support as well. Especially with the mixer. Have a big 27" dell 20point multi touch monitor that works well with Windows 10. Works with other multitouch enabled DAWs already. Really with it would work with Reaper. It would make the Slate Raven obsolete.
The same for me !
Old 01-04-2017, 12:24 AM   #13
WorldofNoise

Any change in this? I would still LOVE to see this in Reaper.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:05 AM   #14
X. O. Apodo

Please make Reaper multi-touch friendly.
At least the mixer

My main concern is that the plugins are multi-touch to help create music.

For editing on the on Reaper I would more likely use the mouse.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:05 AM   #15
WorldofNoise

Same. Multitouch mixing would be very cool and easy copy and paste style editing would be great with multitouch. Drawing automation would be incredible, too.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:48 PM   #16
GP_Hawk

If they could add TUIO support like Studio One has then I would be in heaven. I use a 42" G5s multitouch screen mostly in cubase with dtouch software for multi touch control. Now with Reaper touch control works fine just no multi touch control. Using a certain skin with large fader caps and this would be ideal for multi touch use. Please add TUIO support for multi touch control.
GP_Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:30 PM   #17
mschnell

I run the GUI of a small mixer (AX18) on a small tablet. As I find id hard to manage even a single touch to move the sliders, I mostly plug in a mouse.

I never saw a 42" touch screen in reality, but if it's really decently usable for moving sliders in real time, of course touching multiple of them at the same time would be very appropriate.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:36 AM   #18
GP_Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I run the GUI of a small mixer (AX18) on a small tablet. As I find id hard to manage even a single touch to move the sliders, I mostly plug in a mouse.

I never saw a 42" touch screen in reality, but if it's really decently usable for moving sliders in real time, of course touching multiple of them at the same time would be very appropriate.

-Michael
This is the exact setup I use for cubase except mines 42"
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-26Ca9Pyb4Y

I can post a pic of mine using reaper also if you would to see that in action.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:52 AM   #19
mschnell

Amazing !

-Michael
Old 02-06-2017, 09:22 PM   #20
GP_Hawk

I posted in the feature request for this but that is now buried a few pages back. How hard would this be to implement into Reaper?
Old 10-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #21
Manight

I absolutely do love Reaper but after many research on external midi mixer/controllers, talbet apps and so on, I think a single/double multitouch monitor is the cheapest and best workflow enanchement we could have (and yes it's kool and girls love it).
I'm considering moving to Studio One just for this reason, beacuse on Reaper has so many more plus in customization for me (from the screensets, to the themes, to overall tweakability) that I really have to force myself to move away but Studio One at the moment as a great native multitouch implementation that sets it above all the rest for this particular matter. Both in the mixer, in timeline and in editors.
I already have seen a couple of 24" acer multi touch monitor at around 250$ (each). I still didn't buy beacouse I'm just an "hobbist" composer/producer but if Reaper doesn't come up with a native/better touch (well multitouch) implementation, soon I will do the switch. Let's hope in V6
Manight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:33 PM   #22
X. O. Apodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manight View Post
I absolutely do love Reaper but after many research on external midi mixer/controllers, talbet apps and so on, I think a single/double multitouch monitor is the cheapest and best workflow enanchement we could have (and yes it's kool and girls love it).
I'm considering moving to Studio One just for this reason, beacuse on Reaper has so many more plus in customization for me (from the screensets, to the themes, to overall tweakability) that I really have to force myself to move away but Studio One at the moment as a great native multitouch implementation that sets it above all the rest for this particular matter. Both in the mixer, in timeline and in editors.
I already have seen a couple of 24" acer multi touch monitor at around 250$ (each). I still didn't buy beacouse I'm just an "hobbist" composer/producer but if Reaper doesn't come up with a native/better touch (well multitouch) implementation, soon I will do the switch. Let's hope in V6
My feeling the plugins and faders need multi-touch. Yes it would be nice if all was multi touch and mouse capable. Fo me it was a 50-50 for Reaper vs Studio one but decided on S1 because my friends use S1 and I can ask them for help. And yes the faders are multi-touch. It was a tough choice to make because Cubase was also a contender.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:51 PM   #23
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by X. O. Apodo View Post
My feeling the plugins and faders need multi-touch.
I suppose the DAW can't do anything about the GUI of any 3rd party plugins, neither prevent nor help.

-Michae÷l

Last edited by mschnell; 10-09-2019 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:22 PM   #24
X. O. Apodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I suppose the DAW can't do anything about the GUI of any 3rd party plugins, nether prevent nor help.

-Michae÷l
Not sure what you mean. Sorry.
But just in case you mean this:

In Studio One (a multi-touch DAW) all plugins are single touch and do not acquire multi-touch capability.

In Reaper (not a multi-touch DAW) Multi-touch plugins retain their multi-touch capability. All other plugins and the DAW have single touch capability.

What I was saying before was that for me that the it would be nice if the DAW has multi-touch capability but not essential. For me it is important that the plugins and the faders are multi-touch capable.

Last edited by X. O. Apodo; 10-09-2019 at 11:28 PM.
X. O. Apodo is offline   Reply With Quote