Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-08-2008, 04:48 AM   #81
Xenakios
Human being with feelings

-Added command "Loop And Play Selected Items"

https://stash.reaper.fm/1216/reaper_x...s_commands.dll
Old 05-08-2008, 05:18 AM   #82
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post

And another macro bites the dust! Thanks X, that's much better ...

Is it possible to add 'play item(s) one time and stop'? Or 'play selected area one time'?

(like the preference)

...or a way to flick that switch without using autohotkey...

Last edited by Bevosss; 05-08-2008 at 05:25 AM.
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:24 AM   #83
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
And another macro bites the dust! Thanks X, that's much better ...

Is it possible to add 'play item(s) one time and stop'? Or 'play selected area one time'?

(like the preference)
It's a bit tricky, will need to hook somehow into Reaper's playposition, but should be possible and I want to add that...
Old 05-08-2008, 07:30 AM   #84
earlabs

Quote:

YEAH!!! that was fast and almost exactly what I needed. This one plays the entire selected item. What would be more useful (at least to me) is "Loop And Play Selected AREA or SELECTION"

plus (now you got me going..): a shortcut for UNlooping. Perhaps that's where the macro should center: a toggle for "loop/unloop"?
Old 05-08-2008, 07:44 AM   #85
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlabs View Post
YEAH!!! that was fast and almost exactly what I needed. This one plays the entire selected item. What would be more useful (at least to me) is "Loop And Play Selected AREA or SELECTION"

plus (now you got me going..): a shortcut for UNlooping. Perhaps that's where the macro should center: a toggle for "loop/unloop"?
Hahah, ok, I misunderstood you...You don't even talk about anything about items in your original post about the matter. Well...I needed these "play selected items" things anyway. It's pretty trivial now to add play selected time selection looped, too.

And also seems making commands for "play selected items/time selection ONCE" wasn't too difficult either. (It won't be SUPER-accurate with the timing, though...At least for now.)

earlabs, by the way, what do you mean by "unlooping"? You can already clear the loop selection by pressing ESC in Reaper when the project view has focus...

Last edited by Xenakios; 05-08-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:36 AM   #86
earlabs

Quote:
earlabs, by the way, what do you mean by "unlooping"? You can already clear the loop selection by pressing ESC in Reaper when the project view has focus...
When I 'alt-space' now Reaper starts loop playing the item that I have selected. When I click 'space' Reaper stops playing.

BUT: the loop button remains active. See?

What I want is: click 'alt-space' for loop play and then click 'alt-space' to stop loop play and then click 'space' to start normal play and click 'space' to stop it. Now I think what would be best and give the most flexibility in macro-izing is to make a toggle to activate/de-activate the loop button.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:44 AM   #87
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlabs View Post
When I 'alt-space' now Reaper starts loop playing the item that I have selected. When I click 'space' Reaper stops playing.

BUT: the loop button remains active. See?

What I want is: click 'alt-space' for loop play and then click 'alt-space' to stop loop play and then click 'space' to start normal play and click 'space' to stop it. Now I think what would be best and give the most flexibility in macro-izing is to make a toggle to activate/de-activate the loop button.
"Toggle transport repeat" is already an action in Reaper. But I suppose, for maximum macro flexibility, I can add separate new actions for "Set transport repeat On/Off"...
Old 05-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #88
earlabs

Quote:
"Toggle transport repeat" is already an action in Reaper. But I suppose, for maximum macro flexibility, I can add separate new actions for "Set transport repeat On/Off"...

errr........

hm......right.......

That does exactly what I want:
1. transport: toggle repeat
2. transport: play/stop

Since both act as toggles, I think you are discharged from duty well, at least as this issue is concerned
Old 05-08-2008, 04:07 PM   #89
Xenakios

I am going to remove for now the take source file renaming thing from my TODO-list. I wasted some 3 hours trying to even get started with it. It turned out to be an incredibly painful thing to do and even if I got it working, it would not have played along nicely with Reaper's Undo-system. Too bad, as this functionality is sorely missing in Reaper.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:55 PM   #90
Bevosss

Quote:
Force repeat off and force repeat on would be great actions X.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:11 AM   #91
John Lundsten

Default BWAV Description

Re
*Rename Selected Takes With BWAV Description
If the source file of the selected take(s) contains broadcast wave description info that Reaper can read, it will be copied to the take's name.

I can see some risks involved particularly if/when the rename original file is implemented.

On location field recorders Eg Sound Devices 744T
the description field looks like this
Description:
sSPEED=025.000-ND
sTAKE=1
sUBITS=$12050701
sSWVER=2.40
sPROJECT=
sSCENE=48000
sFILENAME=48000_T01.WAV
sTAPE=
sTRK1=mono guide mix
sNOTE=

IE it's full of CR & line feed char also the = sign

Now A widely used and rather useful element in the Description field is TRK. Eg a Sound Devices recorder can label each of its 4 tracks with info as to what is on each track & with say ProTools v7.2 or newer for example this can appear as a track label on each of the mono files it uses on the timeline – very handy. In the Description Field the data will be written something like this:-
sTRK1= boom mic
sTRK2= Anna Rad Mic
sTRK3= Fred Rad mic
sTRK4= Delia Rad

On a separate matter the Reaper WAV info box (Ctrl F2) only shows down to
sTAPE=

And this example is not that densely populated, it's not uncommon for the full 255 char allowed in this field to be used

If you need some short files to play with go here
http://www.sounddevices.com/download/sample-files.htm
John Lundsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:26 AM   #92
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lundsten View Post
Re
*Rename Selected Takes With BWAV Description
If the source file of the selected take(s) contains broadcast wave description info that Reaper can read, it will be copied to the take's name.

I can see some risks involved particularly if/when the rename original file is implemented.
Ok, thanks, a good observation! I am no more planning on implementing the source file renaming function in the near future. But it would be a good idea anyway to prevent the take name itself from growing too long or from containing non-alphanumeric characters etc when the copy from BWAV description is used.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #93
John Lundsten

Quote:
....it would be a good idea anyway to prevent the take name itself from growing too long or from containing non-alphanumeric characters etc when the copy from BWAV description is used.
Not sure if the syntax used for this description field use is obvious, if not I'd be glad to help.

What I reckon would be really cool is:--
if txt doesn't contain any =, just pass on all info as now
If it does, then a box pops up to ask which entries (sub-fields if you like)you want to copy.
Strip out the initial lower case letter & all up to the = sign(s)

IMO file based location recording is the way forward, and it's the post production tools that are lagging behind in making this easy to use. If reaper could put the TRK info as file labels then P-Tools will loose its only advantage over Reaper.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:42 PM   #94
John Lundsten

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lundsten View Post
On a separate matter the Reaper WAV info box (Ctrl F2) only shows down to
sTAPE=
Silly me, just found if you click in box & use up/down keys you can scroll.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:57 AM   #95
CoffeeMilkshake

Just stopping by to thank you for the amazing stuff!

Two things as of now, could the "Extensions" menu go before the "Help" menu? And could it be organized into submenus according to the nature of functions present?

Thanks
Old 05-11-2008, 07:56 AM   #96
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeMilkshake View Post
Just stopping by to thank you for the amazing stuff!

Two things as of now, could the "Extensions" menu go before the "Help" menu? And could it be organized into submenus according to the nature of functions present?

Thanks
Making the new main menu go before help might be tricky, but I have to see if it can be done. Yeah, I am gonna re-organize the actual menu order of the commands etc at some point, it's just one of those not-so-inspiring jobs to do...
Old 05-12-2008, 03:59 PM   #97
CoffeeMilkshake

I told you I'd come back eh,eh,eh!

Hi!

Just stopping by to ask for two "special Xenakios actions", like macros such as these:

--- Xenakios FREEZER Mono ---

1. Track: Render Selected Tracks to Mono Stem Tracks (and mute originals)
2. Track: Go to Next Track
3. Track: Select All Items in Selected Tracks
4. Item Properties: Toggle Items Mute
5. Track: Toggle All FX Bypass
6. Track: Set All FX Offline for Selected Tracks
7. Peaks: Build any Missing Peaks

--- Xenakios FREEZER Stereo ---

1. Track: Render Selected Tracks to Stem Tracks (and mute originals)
2. Track: Go to Next Track
3. Track: Select All Items in Selected Tracks
4. Item Properties: Toggle Items Mute
5. Track: Toggle All FX Bypass
6. Track: Set All FX Offline for Selected Tracks
7. Peaks: Build any Missing Peaks

If it weren't for the peaks not showing after you execute a macro with the first 6 actions, I would pull it off but they don't show up, hence...

Thanks in advance man!

CM
Old 05-12-2008, 05:48 PM   #98
Bevosss

Quote:

If it weren't for the peaks not showing after you execute a macro with the first 6 actions, I would pull it off but they don't show up, hence...
They should show, they do here...do you have these preferences checked by chance?

Old 05-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #99
Xenakios

I remember Justin talking something about the Reaper macro-system being overhauled in the "near future", I think unlimited commands, Undo-blocks to gather the macro into one neat entry in the history and ability to name the macros. No idea when that's gonna come, though...

So if it seems like those improvements to Reaper macro-system are not coming too soon, I might add those "freeze macro" things some day. SWS just gave me some nice code to make adding new commands a lot easier and cleaner, so it's not soooo much trouble. I just need to migrate all old code to use the new system, doing and testing that is gonna take some "monkey work" and time...
Old 05-12-2008, 07:37 PM   #100
CoffeeMilkshake

Quote:
They should show, they do here...do you have these preferences checked by chance?

Hi, B!
No, those are unticked.
But weird thing is I been messing around with these and suddenly the peaks are there...so I can macro away this "FreeZ"!
Weird still...dunno what I did wrong previously, but all is working ok now.

Xen, thanks for the good will! This macro is running fine now, so you can ease up on the coding

Thanks for the kind assistance everyone!

P.S. Bevoss, thanks for the lasso thing! This one working great! I'm like a rodeo cowboy now!
Old 05-12-2008, 07:59 PM   #101
Bevosss

Quote:

P.S. Bevoss, thanks for the lasso thing! This one working great! I'm like a rodeo cowboy now!
Ha! Glad I could help...
Old 05-13-2008, 04:20 PM   #102
Xenakios

Ok, a new DLL with some new stuff and it has also been internally redone so that adding new commands isn't such a pain. Thanks a million to SWS for the new command registration and some other code!

Changes

-Refactored command adding code. This needs some testing. Nothing about the old commands should have been affected adversely but I can't say for sure. This may clear certain keybindings, so you have to set those up again in the Reaper preferences, sorry about that...

-Restructured "Extensions" main menu.

-All action names now start with "Xenakios Extensions :", regardless of them being "silly" or not.

-Added tool window to set up some parameters of certain commands, and a command to toggle the window visible. (Some of that stuff isn't implemented yet, so don't get confused if you can't find the relevant commands. For example, item position nudge by beat values is not yet implemented.) This is probably just a temporary solution to enter parameters for certain new commands where adding a separate dialog to enter just one or two values would be too painful for me...

-Added commands "Nudge Item Positions Left/Right, Time Based". The nudge amount (in seconds) can be configured in the new command configuration window.

-Added command "Randomize Item Positions" and retired the previous command to randomize item position by +-0.25 seconds. Now this new command supports Reaper Undo and the random time spread (in seconds) can be configured in the command config window.

-Added command "Move Selected Items To Edit Cursor". This will take into account if the item(s) has/have a non-zero sync-point.

-Added command for "Play Selected Items Once". This actually only plays the selected time range of the selected items, not the items soloed. I will investigate the feasibility of adding the soloed functionality.

-Added command "Jump Edit Cursor By Random Amount (exp distribution)". Just some exotica for me...(If anyone is interested : it uses the exponential random distribution to calculate the new edit cursor position. It will always make the edit cursor go forward.)

I will add the new download link later, seems the Reaper Stash is currently down...

Last edited by Xenakios; 05-13-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:50 PM   #103
Bevosss

Thanks, looks like a great update!

Quote:
-Added commands "Nudge Item Positions Left/Right, Time Based". The nudge amount (in seconds) can be configured in the new command configuration window.
That's reminded me of some features I could well use...

Is it possible for any of these movements?

Move edit cursor to next bar/beat

Move item to next bar/beat

Copy midi notes including the gap between the cursor and the first note (so when you paste it from a bar line it ends up correct)

My snap settings are never a bar or beat for using the next grid command.

I get around copying by inserting a note at the edit cursor then deleting it later, but it could be so much faster.

Just sounding out what's possible X...on to testing this thing!

Cheers!

Edit: actually the first action could be macroed with your new action "Move Selected Items To Edit Cursor" to enable the second action...

Last edited by Bevosss; 05-13-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:27 AM   #104
Shan

Quote:
Thanks, looks like a great update!

Is it possible for any of these movements?...
...and manual cross fades would be nice.

Just to add one more to that list.

Shane

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:20 AM   #105
Xenakios

Quote:

Is it possible for any of these movements?

Move edit cursor to next bar/beat

Move item to next bar/beat

Copy midi notes including the gap between the cursor and the first note (so when you paste it from a bar line it ends up correct)

My snap settings are never a bar or beat for using the next grid command.

I get around copying by inserting a note at the edit cursor then deleting it later, but it could be so much faster.

Just sounding out what's possible X...on to testing this thing!

Cheers!

Edit: actually the first action could be macroed with your new action "Move Selected Items To Edit Cursor" to enable the second action...
The move edit cursor and items stuff should be possible. There's just the thing about what a "bar" is...I guess you generally mean 4 beats, but it could be other lenghts, too...I probably could add actions for "move edit cursor left/right a larger amount" etc, hahah, and have those default to 4 beats but also be configurable to other amounts...

The MIDI editor stuff is beyond my powers at the moment (there are no suitable C++ API calls, as far as I can tell), as well as manipulating the individual MIDI notes within MIDI-items...I hope that stuff can be covered some day, though.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:37 AM   #106
wootcomputers

Default Action Request-Delete all items other than current time selection.

I really dig where this is going, many of these actions I'm already using. Although, I'm having a hard time setting up an action to the following, and maybe it's already possible with reaper's built in actions - I just haven't been able to get it just right.

Here's the situation. The band I'm in likes to track practices to take home and listen to to help us refine our parts. So, during practice we record 3-5 takes of each song. I simply stop/start recording between takes (not using the multiple takes per track - but rather recording the different takes sequentially).

At the the end of rehearsal we pick which takes we want to keep. My mission is to clean up the project so only the take we decided to keep stays in the reaper project. I would also like to remove the wav files of the other takes as they are taking up unecessary disk space.

Here's how I currently accomplish the task manually.
-Set time selection to audio prior to the 'keeper' take
-Action: Remove contents of selection (moving later items)
-Set time selection to audio after the 'keeper' take
-Action: Remove contents of selection (moving later items)
-Clean current project directory (although, it would be nice to a have a "remove contents of selection - combined with remove selected audio files from hard drive")

How I would like it:
-Set time selection to 'keeper' take
-Apply the action that would some how inverse the time selection, removes all contents from that selection, and remove only the 'trash' takes' audio files.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

-Wouter
wootcomputers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:43 AM   #107
sws
Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootcomputers View Post
Any ideas?
How about "Crop project to time selection"?
sws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:07 AM   #108
wootcomputers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws View Post
How about "Crop project to time selection"?
And there is my duh moment of the day. Thanks
wootcomputers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:55 AM   #109
Xenakios

I forgot the forum can have attachments, too...

So the DLL should be in this new post in a .zip-file.

I added new things since last night :

-"Set Fades Of Selected Items To 0.0", effectively "removes (manual) fades" from selected items.

-"Trim/Untrim Item Left/Right Edge To Edit Cursor". This seems to work correctly for both looped and non-looped items when changing the right edge but has known problems with looped items when changing the left edges. Full fix to this unfortunately depends on Cockos's good will to add some new API stuff...
Attached Files
File Type: zip reaper_xenakios_commands.zip (18.8 KB, 212 views)
Old 05-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #110
CoffeeMilkshake

Hi, Xen!

Looking good the new restructured menu!
Keep up the fine work!

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #111
Matthew Presley

Xen you are awesome!
Matthew Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:14 PM   #112
Bevosss

Quote:
The move edit cursor and items stuff should be possible. There's just the thing about what a "bar" is...I guess you generally mean 4 beats, but it could be other lenghts, too...I probably could add actions for "move edit cursor left/right a larger amount" etc, hahah, and have those default to 4 beats but also be configurable to other amounts...
Just to be clear, I mean going to the next measure marker, rather than advancing a whole measure...so if you were in the middle of a bar say, the cursor would go to the next measure line, not to the middle of the next bar (you can already do that with the jump to time window).

What is a bar? Whatever is defined in the project properties and master tempo envelope. I use a lot of odd times so configurable but defaulting to 4/4 would suit me.

Reaper knows somehow with the colour theme where a measure is, can we tap into that ability?

Old 05-14-2008, 05:18 PM   #113
Xenakios

Quote:
Just to be clear, I mean going to the next measure marker, rather than advancing a whole measure...so if you were in the middle of a bar say, the cursor would go to the next measure line, not to the middle of the next bar (you can already do that with the jump to time window).

What is a bar? Whatever is defined in the project properties and master tempo envelope. I use a lot of odd times so configurable but defaulting to 4/4 would suit me.

Reaper knows somehow with the colour theme where a measure is, can we tap into that ability?
Could be very tricky stuff that advancing to the next/previous visible gridlines/measures etc. I remember Justin saying something about it being a "bitch" for even himself to do...But I have to see...

Last edited by Xenakios; 05-14-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:41 AM   #114
boka

Quote:

-"Set Fades Of Selected Items To 0.0", effectively "removes (manual) fades" from selected items.
wicked!!!!

Respect, Xenakios!
Old 05-15-2008, 02:53 AM   #115
nicholas
Scribe

This just gets better every time I look at it ....
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:08 AM   #116
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
This just gets better every time I look at it ....
Nicholas, I didn't see you in the other thread, so if you missed it...did you realize we can now auto-renumber markers and regions??

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21294

Xenakios and sws are kicking arse!
Old 05-15-2008, 03:16 AM   #117
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Nicholas, I didn't see you in the other thread, so if you missed it...did you realize we can now auto-renumber markers and regions??

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21294

Xenakios and sws are kicking arse!
Thanks Bevosss, yes I had missed it. This is just amazing. What more can I say?
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:38 PM   #118
Xenakios

Some new stuff coming soonish which needs a bit more testing and fine-tuning by me first :

-Beat based nudge commands for items.

-Pitch nudge commands for items.

-Command to set items fade ins and outs to configured amounts. (I should probably look for a solution for this command to set the fade shapes, too.)

-Command to set item rate to 1.0 and pitch to 0.0 in one go.

-Auto splitting of items at transients. (Uses the Reaper built-in tab-to-transient feature, so not perfect for every case, but nice anyway to have, I guess...)

-Probably something else, too. (In the zany commands department...)

Bevosss : I think the problem about moving the edit cursor to next/previous measure can be solved, I just need some time to experiment etc...

Noticed a problem with the Repeat Paste command which can't be easily fixed, unfortunately : The newly pasted items won't follow the tempo map in Reaper if the clipboard contains items that don't start at the same relative position. (Basically, you can't select a whole measure's worth of drum beats on one track, for example, and expect the repeat pasted items to follow tempo changes in the project correctly. This, I believe is a Reaper "feature" and circumventing the problem would get a bit complex, but I guess I can look at it at some point...)

Last edited by Xenakios; 05-15-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:13 AM   #119
airon

Could you please add two clip volume change actions, that change the clip volume by +1 and -1 dB ?

Those commands were part of Audiovision, and were very useful to have.

Keep up the awesome effort .
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:44 AM   #120
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Could you please add two clip volume change actions, that change the clip volume by +1 and -1 dB ?
Hey Airon, are you talking about the volume line on the item (which is pre-fx volume envelope, I THINK), or the take volume in item properties?

I would also love this action!

Xenakios, you can't conjure up an action for applying fx to items, that bypasses the item volume line, can you?

Last edited by Bevosss; 05-16-2008 at 01:52 AM.