Old 03-05-2021, 08:53 AM   #41
ashcat_lt
Human being with feelings

All these tweaks to the pin connectors would sure be complimented nicely by the ability to name/alias track channels.

Edit - Wait but I have something hopefully more useful to say.

The option to pass through or block unused channels is awesome. I think it would help if there was an option to automatically toggle this to blocking when the plugin is placed as the last in the chain. I don’t think it would have to toggle back if the plugin gets moved to some other slot. This might be best as a track level option, but it might be nice in project settings with a track level override, but maybe just adding it to the defaults for new tracks would be good enough.

Short of that, I guess just an option somewhere for which state we want new added plugins to default to.

Last edited by ashcat_lt; 03-05-2021 at 09:10 AM.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:17 AM   #42
Arthur

+ Dither: use prvhash for rng/tpdf generation (courtesy Aleksey Vaneev)

That's interesting ... How about Vaneev's sample rate converter integration into Reaper ? It's would be great.
His r8brain is one of the best converters.
Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:21 AM   #43
EvilDragon

UX enhancement: I kinda wish Ctrl+clicking the [+] box would expand the FX pin matrix with all available ins/outs that the plugin has. It gets really, really, REALLY tedious when a plugin has more than a few outputs to see them all to have them available for editing.

Either that, or simply resizing the window should also automatically show more rows in the pin matrix.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:33 AM   #44
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
UX enhancement: I kinda wish Ctrl+clicking the [+] box would expand the FX pin matrix with all available ins/outs that the plugin has. It gets really, really, REALLY tedious when a plugin has more than a few outputs to see them all to have them available for editing.

Either that, or simply resizing the window should also automatically show more rows in the pin matrix.

In my opinion the channel mapping is already a tedious UX by it self.
How about the channel mapping be integrated in the FXchain somehow?

Otherwise is extremely tedious watching that mapper without the User interface with the Intruments / fx which is basically what we want. At least me ..
I would like to avoid caring about outputs at this level. Devs .. Can you make this simple so that we can have fun using this possibilities?

we tend not to use because it's horrible ... at least me ... i want to avoid thinking as much as possible while in music mode .. but is so difficult in reaper
/me auto slaps

Last edited by deeb; 03-05-2021 at 10:53 AM.
deeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:50 AM   #45
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanick View Post
+ Media items: reduce locked media item darkness slightly
What if a theme needs different brightness/saturation or, worse, what if this hardcoded brightness causes problems with a theme.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:25 AM   #46
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
UX enhancement: I kinda wish Ctrl+clicking the [+] box would expand the FX pin matrix with all available ins/outs that the plugin has.
Not sure what you mean? The pin connector dialog always shows the full number of pins that the plugin reports. The +/- buttons only change the number of track channels (or, for take fx, upsize the number of available media channels above whatever the source media has).
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:13 AM   #47
PhelixK

Quote:
+ Appearance: add option to hide edit cursor highlight on last selected track
Nice to have this setting, but the highlight bracket doesn't hide when alternate color is used for the Edit cursor (blinking appearance).

B/W example:

PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:22 AM   #48
Vagelis

Reducing the number of track lanes doesn't hide the rest items on hidden lanes.
I would expect and prefer as well, if when i choose to show the first lane to show only the item on first lane, if i choose two lanes to show only the items on first two lanes etc..

Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:42 AM   #49
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Reducing the number of track lanes doesn't hide the rest items on hidden lanes.
I would expect and prefer as well, if when i choose to show the first lane to show only the item on first lane, if i choose two lanes to show only the items on first two lanes etc..

I think that will cause more issues than it solves to be honest

The lanes don't actually work like that.. yet..

Maybe they will at some point and that might make sense then
Old 03-05-2021, 11:45 AM   #50
deeb

what is the goal if any?
deeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:57 AM   #51
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
I think that will cause more issues than it solves to be honest

The lanes don't actually work like that.. yet..

Maybe they will at some point and that might make sense then
Maybe, i just find it a bit messy, for the record i proposed to hide the items and not delete them, so you can go and change the number of lanes to see the hidden items.
On the other hand what's the purpose of lanes then? If i want to have a behavior with many items on the same lane i just use the default lane

So i think another extra of this behavior is that you can "store" items in lanes and bring them back when you want to experiment
Old 03-05-2021, 01:40 PM   #52
ovnis

Quote:
to see the hidden items.
Pretty dangerous if you work on an old project and you have forgotten all those hidden items. Isn'it? For me, auto mode is great. I don't understand the utility to choose 2, 3, 4 lanes...

Last edited by ovnis; 03-05-2021 at 01:51 PM.
ovnis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:53 PM   #53
ovnis

Quote:
So i think another extra of this behavior is that you can "store" items in lanes and bring them back when you want to experiment
I use often this function like that. But there is an issue: when I work on the midi editor, the notes of overlapped midi items are visible (greyed)!

It's very confused because we can't know if those grey notes are inside the edited midi or inside an another item.

Is it possible to not display these gray notes? Thx you!

Last edited by ovnis; 03-05-2021 at 04:11 PM.
ovnis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:54 PM   #54
svijayrathinam

* Includes branch: media item channel mapping

This isn't mentioned in this dev release. But it was there in 6.23 dev versions. has this been taken out or not mentioned in the release notes ? Can someone pls clarify ?
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:04 PM   #55
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Not sure what you mean? The pin connector dialog always shows the full number of pins that the plugin reports. The +/- buttons only change the number of track channels (or, for take fx, upsize the number of available media channels above whatever the source media has).
Here's an example of Kontakt dropped to an empty track:

You can see there are (way) more than 2 outputs reported by Kontakt, and if I want to do something with those extra outputs, I need to add them 2 by 2 by consecutively pressing [+] (or I guess, go to I/O dialog and bump the number there).

Just thought it'd be neat to have a shortcut for this situation where Ctrl+clicking [+] would expand to all channels reported by the plugin.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:05 PM   #56
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by svijayrathinam View Post

This isn't mentioned in this dev release. But it was there in 6.23 dev versions. has this been taken out or not mentioned in the release notes ? Can someone pls clarify ?
From v6.24+dev0303: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=250266

Quote:
# Media item channel pin mapper: removed
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:10 PM   #57
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Just thought it'd be neat to have a shortcut for this situation where Ctrl+clicking [+] would expand to all channels reported by the plugin.
OK, I thought you were talking about a change in how things are displayed, but you are looking for an action to upsize the number of track channels to the number of plugin outputs.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:10 PM   #58
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
Pretty dangerous if you work on an old project and you have forgotten all those hidden items. Isn'it? For me, auto mode is great. I don't understand the utility to choose 2, 3, 4 lanes...
Ah what i demonstrated above was when you don't have the option show overlapping items in lanes on and you change the number of lanes. I think If you already have this action on, the items will not be lost in the older projects and will show up as they used too before this new function.

I think item lanes has potential to grow in something very interesting, we'll have to wait and see how it goes
Old 03-05-2021, 02:19 PM   #59
EvilDragon

Quote:
OK, I thought you were talking about a change in how things are displayed, but you are looking for an action to upsize the number of track channels to the number of plugin outputs.
Yes! Sorry for lack of clarity. Does the request make sense?
Old 03-05-2021, 03:47 PM   #60
Phazma

I am not doing this kinds of multichannel routings very often so I am not sure if this suggestion is intelligent, but what if the track channel count updated automatically based on the highest channel count item or plugin, maybe as a preference to set?
So if you have only mono media and only mono effects you have a mono track with mono meter, as soon as you add a stereo media item or add a plugin that processes 2 channels the track turns into stereo and when you add a multichannel plugin or item the track count sets itself to multichannel (tough it may not always be wanted so a prompt could be a good idea).
Phazma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 01:56 PM   #61
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by svijayrathinam View Post

This feature is still in the +dev builds, but it was reimplemented in a different way. The action to open the media item channel mapper and the menu item in the media item properties dialog are still the same as in previous +dev builds.

It's now implemented by adding the new JSFX Channel Mapper/Downmixer to as take FX to media items when their channel mapping is set to anything different from straight passthrough.

We decided this was a better way to go because the interactions between take FX and media item channel mode on the input side, and fx pin connector mapping on the output side, are already well defined. Supporting a new internal channel mapping between the channel mode and any take FX was adding unnecessary complexity and ambiguity.

Also if you are remapping channels, there's a decent chance you are in a folddown/downmixing context, and the new JSFX downmixer adds support for automatic downmixing (applying -3dB or -6dB to any folded-down channels) or manual downmixing.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:14 PM   #62
sonictim

Quote:
This feature is still in the +dev builds, but it was reimplemented in a different way. The action to open the media item channel mapper and the menu item in the media item properties dialog are still the same as in previous +dev builds.

It's now implemented by adding the new JSFX Channel Mapper/Downmixer to as take FX to media items when their channel mapping is set to anything different from straight passthrough.

We decided this was a better way to go because the interactions between take FX and media item channel mode on the input side, and fx pin connector mapping on the output side, are already well defined. Supporting a new internal channel mapping between the channel mode and any take FX was adding unnecessary complexity and ambiguity.

Also if you are remapping channels, there's a decent chance you are in a folddown/downmixing context, and the new JSFX downmixer adds support for automatic downmixing (applying -3dB or -6dB to any folded-down channels) or manual downmixing.
So what is the suggested workflow for mono items that I would like to route to channel 3 (center)? Every mono sound I add to my session will need a JSFX plugin added to it and I will then need to adjust the pin mappings accordingly? Should this new plugin always be at the end of the takefx chain? So now any time I add a new plugin to take fx I will also have to open up the take Fx window and adjust the order of plugins?
Old 03-06-2021, 03:53 PM   #63
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonictim View Post
So what is the suggested workflow for mono items that I would like to route to channel 3 (center)? Every mono sound I add to my session will need a JSFX plugin added to it and I will then need to adjust the pin mappings accordingly? Should this new plugin always be at the end of the takefx chain? So now any time I add a new plugin to take fx I will also have to open up the take Fx window and adjust the order of plugins?

You would run the existing action to open the media item channel mapper dialog, or select the menu item from the media item properties channel mode button, just like before. The dialog will insert the JSFX downmixer if needed and adjust the output mappings for that fx for all selected media items.

There are still some behaviors to be worked out regarding what happens if you then insert more take fx, since you might want the new fx to take the channel mapper output, or you might want it to be upstream of the channel mapper.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:05 PM   #64
fakemaxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonictim View Post
What do you currently do? Quickest way for me currently is to have a button to put ReaSurround on a track/item as an FX Chain set to 1 input that's aligned to Center channel (or stereo to LR, etc). I'm not sure that the most elegant way of working with more than 2 channels would be to put a JSFX router on every item.

I think having it as an FX rather than built in is more useful, even if at first glance it's a little clunkier. As mentioned, there are times when I want to have a mono, center panned item feed into a Take FX surround reverb. Just reordering the plugins is way faster than pinning for every item (since there's no pin connector presets).
fakemaxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:53 AM   #65
svijayrathinam

Hi Schwa,

There is something wrong with this version. Everything Seems Very very loud when compared to older versions. I do see some users point out the same. And I only tried the "a" version. And Its still sound. For your information I am on a Mac and I tried both the clang versions. Also the icon seems to be different in this version. I am currently on 6.23+test0224. When I try to install 6.24+dev0304a, it actually won't replace my 6.23+test0224 in the applications folder. Instead it creates a new reaper. The 6.23+test0224 in Mac shows up as Reaper64 in the applications folder. But in 6.24+dev0304a the app shows just reaper in the applications folder.

Can you pls look into this ?

Tested on Mac OS Big Sur Ver 11.0.1
Old 03-07-2021, 05:42 AM   #66
Justin
Administrator

In the recent +dev builds we are renaming REAPER64.app to just REAPER.app, which may cause a little bit of confusion, for a while anyway.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:49 AM   #67
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
In the recent +dev builds we are renaming REAPER64.app to just REAPER.app, which may cause a little bit of confusion, for a while anyway.
Thank you for clarification. So the overall loudness issue is different to this?
Old 03-07-2021, 06:09 AM   #68
schwa
Administrator

The loudness issue existed only in +dev0303 and +dev0304, and we're pretty confident it was fixed in +dev0304a.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:23 AM   #69
svijayrathinam

Quote:
The loudness issue existed only in +dev0303 and +dev0304, and we're pretty confident it was fixed in +dev0304a.
I just checked in the ďaĒ version. It still exists . So I had to go back to the previous Dev version.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:25 AM   #70
mabian

Strange, version 0304a fixed it for me. Maybe another set of conditions trigger it?
Old 03-07-2021, 06:59 AM   #71
schwa
Administrator

Mabian posted a test project here that demonstrated the bug in +dev0304:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...4&postcount=24

Specifically, for VSTs that process both MIDI and audio, the processed plugin output was being added to the raw audio input rather than replacing it. That bug was definitely fixed in +dev0304a.

svijayrathinam, are you able to post a small project that demonstrates whatever issue you are experiencing with +dev0304a?
Old 03-07-2021, 07:04 AM   #72
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Mabian posted a test project here that demonstrated the bug in +dev0304:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...4&postcount=24

Specifically, for VSTs that process both MIDI and audio, the processed plugin output was being added to the raw audio input rather than replacing it. That bug was definitely fixed in +dev0304a.

svijayrathinam, are you able to post a small project that demonstrates whatever issue you are experiencing with +dev0304a?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qip...ew?usp=sharing

Here is a link to a reaper project
Old 03-07-2021, 07:12 AM   #73
schwa
Administrator

I'm sorry, we can't do anything with that project, it contains hundreds of plugins and over 1000 source media files and we don't have any of those resources. What we need is a small project, similar to what Mabian posted that I linked to in my previous post, that demonstrates different behavior in one build vs another.

We're building +dev0307 now and it should be posted in about a half hour. If you are still experiencing a problem with that build please let us know.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:19 AM   #74
svijayrathinam

Quote:
I'm sorry, we can't do anything with that project, it contains hundreds of plugins and over 1000 source media files and we don't have any of those resources. What we need is a small project, similar to what Mabian posted that I linked to in my previous post, that demonstrates different behavior in one build vs another.

We're building +dev0307 now and it should be posted in about a half hour. If you are still experiencing a problem with that build please let us know.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hSi...ew?usp=sharing

Here is a small project. It has many tracks but most of them are empty. it just has a very few audio files. Can you pls try on this ?
Old 03-07-2021, 07:39 AM   #75
schwa
Administrator

Ah, hell. The bug was fixed for VST plugins but it still existed for AU plugins! I'm glad you caught this before we posted today's +dev build, we'll fix it before posting a new build. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2021, 07:42 AM   #76
svijayrathinam

thank you very much
Old 03-07-2021, 07:48 AM   #77
vitalker

Quote:
Ah, hell. The bug was fixed for VST plugins but it still existed for AU plugins! I'm glad you caught this before we posted today's +dev build, we'll fix it before posting a new build. Thanks!
Does it exist for JS/LV2 plugins as well?
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:08 AM   #78
BartR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanick View Post
v6.24+dev0304 - March 4 2021[list] [*] * Includes branch: ReaSurround2
Is that postponed to 6.26?
Old 03-07-2021, 08:47 AM   #79
sonictim

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakemaxwell View Post
What do you currently do?
Currently I donít use reaper for surround work because the work flow is inefficient and overly complicated. If I have to add a plugin to every sound I add to a track and fiddle with pins just to send a mono sound to center... in my mind this should be an automatic behavior, not something that requires extra button presses/actions...

I think ultimately Iíll take Vijayís approach which is to mimic protools and dedicate certain tracks as specific formats. Iíd rather have a world where I could put a mono sound anywhere on any track and it would default to the center channel, but I donít think this vision is shared by the devs... Iím hoping there will be enough API that I can possibly create a defer script to add the necessary routings automatically once the dust settles on how they want us to work.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:03 AM   #80
schwa
Administrator

Here's how you'd currently set some mono items to play on channel 3:

What sort of automatic behavior are you imagining? I mean, a track could have a preference that says "always play mono items on channel X", but if you want to change what X is, it wouldn't really be any fewer clicks as a track preference than via the channel mapper, and it would be less flexible.