Old 04-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #1
vdubreeze
Human being with feelings

Default Thought on Waves $29 offerings?

I don't really NEED but at two for $29 I feel like treating myself to two impulse cheepos. I'm well covered on all the basics, but are there any of the $29 Waves plugins that folks are digging? I used to have the full Waves set a decade ago but have been Wave-less (except for a few specials here and there that I've actually forgotten I had) and haven't missed them.

What's good in the sale bin? The SSL G strip? Vitamin? One of the CLA comps?

Old 04-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #2
k235

just had a look and out of the ones that are $29 currently, my favorites would be

H Reverb
MM Toneshaper
F6
Trans X

but there's lots of other good ones I guess, and I have not tried all of the $29 plugins.
k235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:49 PM   #3
vdubreeze

Thanks, k235 : ) Wasn't familiar with any of those but the H Reverb and F6 sound like they'd be great to have.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #4
Gass n Klang

I bought my second rbass and loair license to use it on my laptop without having to transfer my license via cloud ... I hate that system and that definitly have been my last waves purchases.
Gass n Klang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:13 PM   #5
vdubreeze

Well, I settled on Abbey Road Mastering Chain and H-Reverb but downloaded demos first. Waves Central keeps installing hundreds of irrelevant crap even though I keep specifying to install these two registered demos. over and over. Says they're installed and the Waveshells are but the plugins show up as bundle in the app folder but never in any host.

So..after literally an hour...

Nope.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:26 PM   #6
karbomusic

Just make sure you fully clear cache/rescan because waveshell wraps all the VSTs and reports them to reaper. This requires a complete/new initialization of waveshell so it can find the newly installed plugins then pass that on to reaper, otherwise all you'll see is waveshell or nothing. It's one of the few plugins that actually require clearing the cache. That said, I've not had any issues yet so long as I religiously install, assign license, clear cache/rescan.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:28 PM   #7
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

I concur Karbo. That's been pretty much my experience too. I have a ton of V9 plugins installed and a growing collection of V10 and they are happily coexisting at present. I was a little nervous the first time I installed a V10 plugin but the old clear cache and rescan worked flawlessly.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:29 PM   #8
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
Thanks, k235 : ) Wasn't familiar with any of those but the H Reverb and F6 sound like they'd be great to have.
F6 has become one of my most used plugins. So too has Scheps Omni Channel.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:25 AM   #9
stevewdy

Default Waves

Sadly, Waves installer was a real pain a couple of years ago. I don't know if it was ever fixed/improved (I know people on this forum helped with tips etc).
When I tried to install it, with the result I lost previous Waves purchases. I won't make that mistake again, and I don't care how cheap they are.
I now use Brainworx. Fabulous plugins. Try for a week and buy without any hassle whatsoever. I sound like a sales guy for them, but I'm still annoyed at the Waves debacle.
I just noticed the Karbomusic post.....
stevewdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:50 AM   #10
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewdy View Post
When I tried to install it, with the result I lost previous Waves purchases.
FWIW, not all but the many of real issues I've read about in the forum tend to center around having previous/older installs or similar. I would always clear/rescan first though just to be thorough.

I failed to mention earlier that I have H-Verb and I keep returning to it so that means I really like it.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:22 AM   #11
Winfield

I was on the fence about Waves for some years, then about six months ago I gave them a try (Scheps Omni Channel) at a sale.
I liked the workflow/ergonomics and thought the plug sounded fine when i tried it on various material the next couple of weeks.

Recently my band hired a pro engineer (who does it for a living) to come and record us at our rehersalspace/studio and set all plugs for us etc.(something that i would recommend all to do). The engineer was delighted to find the Scheps Omni Channel and used it extensively for a couple of hours - until it crashed, and there was nothing to do to get it working, it kept claiming there was an auth-problem and left the pc unresponsive.

This is a offline pc that *never* crashes. We had to start Reaper with offline fx, and as soon as the Waves-plug was activated it crashed. Many solutions was tried but none worked - other than removing the offending waves plugin.

The engineer did the mix with mostly Reaper plugs - btw we have never sounded better

After that I'm done with anything resembling online authentication and usb-dongle-ish shenanigans. Either trust me with a authentication-file, serial etc. or I will trust that something goes horrible wrong at the totally wrong time.

-W
Winfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:54 AM   #12
vdubreeze

I cleared and rescanned after realizing that other audio apps were seeing the Waves demos. But after doing it several times (crash/quitting four) Reaper sees them. The H-Reverb I really like. The Abbey Road chain crash/quits Reaper every time I try to load it. Which is hard to figure out since they're all running off the Wavesshell and other Waves stuff (H-Comp, older freebie, pretty useless) loads fine. And my SuperTap delays and RenBass have been wiped from my computer. Used them last night, now they're not even on the drive. Glad they weren't used critically. And every ten minutes I do something (restart or rescan or relobotomize) and the AR still makes Reaper quit.

Not feeling warm and fuzzy about it.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:46 PM   #13
k235

yeah, sometimes reaper will not immediately recognize new waves plugins. usually a whole rescan solves it. which is a pita.

concerning crashes i have found that vst3 versions crash a lot less, so i use them now as default.

i always check which plugins are prone to crash by duplicating tracks with those fx on it. i find that if reaper stays up an running then, there's a lot less chnace of anything bad happening down the line.

this is in no way scientific, just anecdotal
k235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:28 PM   #14
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
I bought my second rbass and loair license to use it on my laptop without having to transfer my license via cloud ... I hate that system and that definitly have been my last waves purchases.
Why don't you put your waves licenses on a usb stick? I work from 2 different computers (mac and pc) and I always bring with me both the ilok and this extra usb stick.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:18 PM   #15
vdubreeze

The problem with clearing cache and rescanning is that, if you don't have the time at the moment, all of a sudden all of those OTHER random plugins that you rarely use but are good enough to keep installed start throwing up alerts one after the other that they need to be authorized, and it can be quite the party killer. Even aside from important bundles that can get checked off in one swoop I had 10 or so one offs that each required a few minutes to get back running. And every time Reaper would quit during rescan there would be some that would have to be done all over. Score one more for Toneboosters with their key files that work through everything while everything else is playing dead and never hiccup.

Next time I do this I'm taking manually everything OUT temporarily, installing the new ones and rescanning, then putting the others back in. Though I guess this means only for Waves. But
Old 04-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #16
karbomusic

Quote:
The problem with clearing cache and rescanning is that, if you don't have the time at the moment, all of a sudden all of those OTHER random plugins that you rarely use but are good enough to keep installed start throwing up alerts one after the other that they need to be authorized, and it can be quite the party killer.
That's completely foreign to my setup FYI. Why on earth are you in a position where old plugins need reauthing like this? I have plugins going back to 2010 and never have such issues. I was always a Waves opponent when they had dongles so it's not that I'm defending them, just amazed at some of the corners people seem to get backed into.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:39 PM   #17
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
That's completely foreign to my setup FYI. Why on earth are you in a position where old plugins need reauthing like this? I have plugins going back to 2010 and never have such issues. I was always a Waves opponent when they had dongles so it's not that I'm defending them, just amazed at some of the corners people seem to get backed into.
It was likely due to Reaper having crash/quit several times during the scan after the cache clear. All I know is during the Waves install certain plugins that had the computer as the authorization took a dump, authwise, (Eventide, Black Rooster, Zynaptiq) and they needed to go back online into my accounts to handshake and I've never needed to do that before, and while I've rescanned (which didn't get the WaveShell seen) I'd never cleared the plugin cache before. In the case of the UltraChannel it was on an iLok local non-dongle auth and by the time the new Waves was loading (and the Abbey Road was crashing) it asked to be authorized, I couldn't tell you why except that I wanted to try the Waves plugins and boom, things that worked yesterday suddenly didn't. When I do the same now they don't lose them but they did then, but loading Waves AR still takes Reaper down (The Waves SuperTap and RenBass have literally been taken away, as in not on drive at all. I'm sure when I redownload them they'll work, but these are not things happening because I'm doing anything other than what is supposed to be done.

edit: Well, all the Abbey Road plugins that all take down Reaper work fine in anything else I try them in, so I'm not going to blame Waves for that. Still can't get them to not crash Reaper upon load when the Waveshell is nearly the only thing in the folder, though the other Waves work, as they do elsewhere.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:07 AM   #18
multibody

Waves offers ALL plugins for 29€ the next 2 days.

I guess waves has experienced that the consumer market with low prices gives a lot more revenue than the high-price professional market. Quite interesting experiment.
multibody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:46 AM   #19
poetnprophet

indeed I just bought 3 I didn't even need hahaha. But they have been on my list a while.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:25 AM   #20
ivansc

Im still wading through them all and trying to decide if I need any of them at $29.... fighting the temptation just to fill my boots.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:39 AM   #21
J Riley Hill

I love the waves SSL channel strips. I own the G and use it constantly
A cool thing about Waves models, is they are suuuuper low CPU usage (by todays standards).
They dont have the extra little bit of harmonic/component modeling that new plugins will have, but they still sound really good to me.
J Riley Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:44 PM   #22
vdubreeze

Even though the $29 for so many of them sale is done for now, the current sale (30% off after $50) which doesn't seem so enticing, is actually a better deal if the one you thought about is now $49 and the second one you didn't really want but considered is still $29, since 30% off of $78 is $54.60, better than the two for $29, which is $58. That's the extent of my math prowess.

OTOH, many of the enticing ones are back beyond $49, but some, like H-Reverb and the Abbey Road TG Mastering Chain and AR Chambers are $49 for now, so two of them are $68.60. Not bad. I was demoing the first two during the $29 each sale and really liked the H-Reverb. But the AR TG Mastering Chain wasn't floating my boat enough to deal with the annoying (to me) UI. I don't think everything has to be like airwindows (or ReaEq for that matter) but that much skeuomorphism can be a bummer for track pads or mousing. Maybe I needed to spend more time with it, but I wasn't enjoying the time I spent poking around on it. The Scheps Omni Channel I liked more, thought it did more different better things and it was very quick to dial in what I wanted, and I didn't mind turning its knobs.

One thing that's still strange about Waves is how they still sell all their old plugins. I don't know if the ones I'm scoffing at have been improved since I had them 25 years ago, but the metaflanger, mondomod, Doppler, TrueVerb, etc. I thought were all puzzlingly terrible. The C1 compressor sounded like someone turning the volume knob up and down. We were all excited when Renaissance Reverb came out and three months later weren't using it at all. Have these been made better since then, or are they still peddling the same plugins just updated for newer OS's?
Old 04-19-2019, 09:37 PM   #23
fakemaxwell

I don't think a single one of their plugins is worth it with their authentication headaches. Every single plugin can be replaced with something that's not a pain in the ass. I'm personally done with everything that requires a dongle.
fakemaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:46 AM   #24
jzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakemaxwell View Post
I don't think a single one of their plugins is worth it with their authentication headaches. Every single plugin can be replaced with something that's not a pain in the ass. I'm personally done with everything that requires a dongle.
Waves licenses can be installed:
* to a usb stick (for easy movement between computers)
* to a computer
* left in the cloud

It's a pretty flexible system that lets you decide what you want to do. I love it.
Other mfgs require the $50 iLok dongle. ick.

As for which plugins to get:

F6, H-Verb, Omni Channel, and the V-Comp are my favorites.

Wait for a good sale 'cause they happen often. I never pay more than $35 for any Waves plugin, usually a $29 sale with a 10% off coupon code. Those are all over the net.
jzero is offline   Reply With Quote