Old 09-22-2006, 08:53 PM   #1
Spon
Human being with feelings

Default redefines Windows keys

Alt+Space is standard to access the system menu

Alt+Hyphen is standard to access the system menu of a child window.

I use these, at least occasionally. Do others? Should an application redefine them as standard? It would sure be wierd if Alt+F4 quit working.
Spon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:18 AM   #2
Art Evans
Mortal

So long as you can undefine them (which you can) then there seems to me to be no big problem with their special use in Reaper. (I have to admit that Windows keys are almost unknown to me!).
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:49 AM   #3
Spon
Human being with feelings

I got spoiled when Windows multitasking first appeared. I rarely have less than five or six apps open at a time, unless I'm completely focused on one task (rare) or rendering. 5 right now - my logfile, this browser, Explorer, REAPER, and a tabbed-window program editor for JS code. The browser has 8 tabs and the program editor 11. And I'm not even doing anything but trying to wake up.

Unless I'm desperate for CPU, I ALWAYS have a work log up (textfile), ALWAYS have an Explorer up, usually have a browser up. Lots of audio work with multiple apps - and no, I don't ever expect REAPER to support the sorts of things I use. (anyone else use AudioPaint as an effect? ChaosSynth?)

Whether I use two-hands keyboard, one-hand keyboard, mouse, or MIDI remote via my master keyboard depends on the details of the moment. So I actually do use the keys to pop windows open and closed, jsut not every day. And I miss MDI - it was a fairly solid paradigm, though not fun to program. Having all the Windows keys work makes VSThost, for example, MUCH easier to use (multiple windows for each effect).

But yeah, they do go away easily enough. I'm still a a little leery of shipping an app that redefines windows keys, though. But you're right - probably few even know them all, and the net is full of people wanting them for their apps.

Common ones
Alt+F4 = close app
Alt+F6 = switch between app non-document windows
Ctrl+F4 = close child window
Ctrl+F6 = switch between app document windows
Alt+hyphen = child window system menu
Alt+spacebar = app system menu
Alt+tab = switch between apps
Ctrl+Tab = switch between windows (unclear on precise definition)
Ctrl+Esc = start menu - same as Windows key
Shift+F10 = right-click context menu
F10 = switch to menubar

REAPER can't redefine Ctrl+Esc or Alt+Tab, but will redefine all the others.
Spon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:45 PM   #4
Art Evans
Mortal

Hey, thanks for the list!
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote