Old 06-22-2021, 11:03 AM   #1
vitalker
Human being with feelings

Default v6.30rc3 - June 22 2021

v6.30rc3 - June 22 2021
  • * Includes feature branch: render normalization
  • * Includes feature branch: EEL2 x86_64/SSE
  • * Includes feature branch: VST3 bridging
  • + Envelopes: fix incorrect minuscule gain at unity on fader-scaled volume envelopes [t=254859]
  • + Master VU: adjust loudness metering when master track is set to mono output
  • + Render: show percentage complete in render processing dialog
  • + Render: support substituting user-provided string for master $track wildcard
  • # JSFX: fix gating for LRA calculation [p=2456575]
  • # JSFX: improve LUFS-M histogram display
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:10 AM   #2
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
+ Render: support substituting user-provided string for master $track wildcard]
This is so great! Thanks you!!
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:13 AM   #3
grayter1

Just installed and got this on a project I've been working on with RC2 (see attachment). Not sure where to being looking to fix.

tg
Attached Images
File Type: png Reaper Error.png (19.2 KB, 197 views)
Mac Studio M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.3 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Keylab 61 mkII / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X / UVI Falcon

Last edited by grayter1; 06-22-2021 at 11:30 AM.
grayter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:41 AM   #4
schwa
Administrator

There's nothing to fix, that is a warning that the project was saved with a feature (fixed lane modes) that is only available in prerelease versions. You can keep working as usual.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:02 PM   #5
Phazma

Quote:
v6.30rc3 - June 22 2021[*]+ Render: show percentage complete in render processing dialog
Thanks, it is now MUCH easier to check the render status at glimpse. Not only does the percentage communicate the render progress clearly but getting rid off the unnecessary milliseconds makes the elapsed and remaining times way easier to read. Also getting rid of the obvious "Estimated" word, as well as having a bit more space between the readings greatly improves readability. I love it when such little ergonomic things are taken care of masterfully!

Given that there is more than enough space in the bigger render window, maybe it can make sense to add even a little more space between the "Complete" and "Elapsed" readings and between the "Remaining" and "realtime" readings? It would help to visualize progress, timing and speed as kind of 3 separate groups and the eye can focus more quickly on the group of interest.

Also not sure what purpose the brackets around the renderspeed serve... maybe time to get rid of them?

I'd also suggest to format renderspeed more similar to the other readings, like for example "Realtime: 2.3x". Or if you want to keep "realtime" as unit at the end, maybe "Speed: 2.3x realtime", or abbreviated "Speed: 2.3x RT".

Personally I would go totally minimal and just write "Speed: 2.3x", I think it is obvious enough that the number relates to realtime playback.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:46 PM   #6
Zeno

Quote:
[*]+ Master VU: adjust loudness metering when master track is set to mono output
Meter behaves the same as always. Am I missing something?

Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 02:42 PM   #7
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
Meter behaves the same as always. Am I missing something?
Hi, when auditioned in mono on the master, try choose LUFS-S (current) to immediately see the changed loudness level (about -3LU).
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 02:54 PM   #8
Zeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
Hi, when auditioned in mono on the master, try choose LUFS-S (current) to immediately see the changed loudness level (about -3LU).
Ah I see, thank you!
I had expected something completely different with this feature description. I thought it would show only one meter bar instead of two when its in mono or something like that.
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 02:59 PM   #9
grayter1

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
There's nothing to fix, that is a warning that the project was saved with a feature (fixed lane modes) that is only available in prerelease versions. You can keep working as usual.
Thanks Schwa. Everything is working great.

tg
Mac Studio M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.3 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Keylab 61 mkII / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X / UVI Falcon
grayter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 05:09 PM   #10
Mercado_Negro

How's REAPER calculating inter-sample peaks when rendering or doing a dry run? I'm asking this because I've rendered a couple of songs tonight and REAPER didn't tell me there were inter-sample peaks, everything was below -0.0dBTP according to the render dialog but then I imported the songs in a new project in REAPER and there were overs in a few places.

The mix was done at 96kHz and the rendered file at 44.1kHz. The new project was at 44.1kHz just like the file.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:20 PM   #11
schwa
Administrator

You rendered a 96k project to 44.1, no true peak overs were reported during render, but the resulting file shows true peak overs (not regular overs) when imported back into REAPER?

REAPER uses the exact same code to detect true peak overs during render and when metering playback, it's simply oversampling by 4x (for <96k sample rate). The oversampling IIR filter would be affected by exactly where you start playback, so that's one possible cause of a difference. If your material is typical audio content and not some contrived phase-shifted signal, the actual peaks must be very close to +0dB.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:24 PM   #12
schwa
Administrator

FWIW I'm not here to pass judgement on the value of true peak measurement in general, but the meaning of true peak is something like "what might the peak level be if the signal is resampled later in some unknown way." The name "true peak" and technical, yet surprisingly loose, EBU definition is to my mind an awkward combination of apparent precision and actual imprecision.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:32 PM   #13
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
You rendered a 96k project to 44.1, no true peak overs were reported during render, but the resulting file shows true peak overs (not regular overs) when imported back into REAPER?
Exactly.

Quote:
REAPER uses the exact same code to detect true peak overs during render and when metering playback, it's simply oversampling by 4x (for <96k sample rate). The oversampling IIR filter would be affected by exactly where you start playback, so that's one possible cause of a difference. If your material is typical audio content and not some contrived phase-shifted signal, the actual peaks must be very close to +0dB.
Then I don't understand what's going on there because I'm starting the playback right from the beginning of each song when I imported them back into REAPER. These songs had a limiter (Pro-L 2 using x4 OS) at the end and indeed the peaks are mostly around +0dB.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:34 PM   #14
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
FWIW I'm not here to pass judgement on the value of true peak measurement in general, but the meaning of true peak is something like "what might the peak level be if the signal is resampled later in some unknown way." The name "true peak" and technical, yet surprisingly loose, EBU definition is to my mind an awkward combination of apparent precision and actual imprecision.
hahaha I know what you mean and indeed you're right! It's a solid term with an ambiguous meaning lol

Actually, most Mastering Engineers don't care about it.

I just wanted to mention this in case there is a bug somewhere in the way it's being measured.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:30 PM   #15
dsyrock

I set the master top read out to loudness

But the tooltip show that I chose rms
]
Attached Images
File Type: png QmlMI3rN7q.png (3.3 KB, 751 views)
File Type: png GRffREB5ur.png (4.6 KB, 746 views)
dsyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:54 PM   #16
bigjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
hahaha I know what you mean and indeed you're right! It's a solid term with an ambiguous meaning lol

Actually, most Mastering Engineers don't care about it.

I just wanted to mention this in case there is a bug somewhere in the way it's being measured.
Sorry for the intrusion but, have you exported to a compressed file format? because in most cases uncompressed audio develops ISPs when compressed to Mp3, AAC ecc... So if the meter is showing the audio level before compression it can't detect Intersample Peaks occurring after the fact.
bigjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:44 AM   #17
Triode

Quote:
How's REAPER calculating inter-sample peaks when rendering or doing a dry run? I'm asking this because I've rendered a couple of songs tonight and REAPER didn't tell me there were inter-sample peaks, everything was below -0.0dBTP according to the render dialog but then I imported the songs in a new project in REAPER and there were overs in a few places.

The mix was done at 96kHz and the rendered file at 44.1kHz. The new project was at 44.1kHz just like the file.
I thought that true peak was recently removed from the actual render dialog to speed up rendering.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:54 AM   #18
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
I thought that true peak was recently removed from the actual render dialog to speed up rendering.
The meters don’t show it but you can activate it as a render analysis stat in preferences.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:42 AM   #19
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Sorry for the intrusion but, have you exported to a compressed file format? because in most cases uncompressed audio develops ISPs when compressed to Mp3, AAC ecc... So if the meter is showing the audio level before compression it can't detect Intersample Peaks occurring after the fact.
No, it was a WAV file.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:49 AM   #20
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsyrock View Post
I set the master top read out to loudness

But the tooltip show that I chose rms
]

RMS is a loudness measurement. You specify the type of loudness measurement in the bottom section of the master VU settings dialog.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:51 AM   #21
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
No, it was a WAV file.
If there's anything you can share with us we can look at exactly what the situation is.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:14 AM   #22
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
If there's anything you can share with us we can look at exactly what the situation is.
Let me see if I can put together a simple project. Thanks, Schwa.
Old 06-23-2021, 01:46 PM   #23
zappa

Typically impressive changelog for a 0.01 release!! :-)

Wondering whether all these normalisation improvements address longstanding issues I'm having with Reaper's inbuilt normalise function which I've had to work around for some years? The nuts and bolts of it are in a bug report posted back in the 4.xx days, still open. See my sig for details.

Shameless plug for pet FR: type-in item volume/pan.

Been away for some time, some illness and work/life pressures. I've been lurking though, and my love for Reaper has grown as the years have rolled by.