Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-30-2015, 12:39 PM   #1
357mag
Human being with feelings

Default I downloaded a Midi file for a Scorpions tune...

I would love to play the Scorpions song Loving You Sunday Morning along with a backing track, problem is the guitar pro file that I have has no bass guitar and no drums.

But a friend of mine said to do a search for a Midi file of the song and I may get lucky and the Midi file will contain both the drums and the bass guitar part.

So I found a file and ran it through EZ Drummer and Reaper and all I hear are the drums, no bass guitar part.

Is it possible that the bass guitar part is there but I'm not bringing it out correctly? I mean does Reaper have or can I download a bass guitar VST that would bring out the bass line for the song?

Know what I'm getting at?
357mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:32 PM   #2
whiteaxxxe
Banned

I dont know.

but I guess.

you have to split the midi-file into the channels, so that every midi-channel has its own track in Reaper. explode or something ...

then you have to guess, if the tracks are not labelled correctly, on which channel/track is which instrument. drums are always on channel 10.

to hear whats on the tracks you have to have a VSTi that can play that sound. so for the bass track you have to have something that is capable of playing the bass. right, you need a bass VSTi. for the strings (in that song are no strings, I know that, but as example) you have to have a VSTi that can play strings.

you can do that all also with eg sforzando. that VSTi will load so called soundfonts (see Google and internet), and amongst those are some which are so called GM/GS soundfonts. means, all instruments are within these soundfonts.

chances are great, that your midi-file is done in GM/GS and if you let it wholly be played via a GM/GS soundfont, that it will sound very similar to the original song. well ... very similar is relative.

you know that you can rename a tab-file simply to .mid and you have a midi-file??? chances are, that within your tab-file the bass is there.

another option (big word for that suggestion, at least it works. it works is also relative ...) is to use the Microsoft Wavetable Synthesizer (only on Windows machines) as output for midi in Reaper. but that you cant render, you have to record that from the output. because the MWS is outside of Reapers reach within Windows. but that MWS is a GM/GS module.

or get Roland/Edirol Soundcanvas or (best of the best) the Yamaha S-YXG 50. (the 100 was way better, in a sense of unbelievable extraterrestial better, so the 50 is very, very good, but the 100 is better, in that sense, but doesnt run on anything > Windows 98SE. and that you dont want ...)

the S-YXG 50 is on driver CDs that come with soundcards. or was, and very often it came with them.
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote