COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > WDL users forum

Old 05-12-2014, 11:52 PM   #1
doozle
Human being with feelings

Default IEditableTextControl in WDL-OL - Is this safe/legit?

I need to provide a sign in function within my plugin. I'm using WDL-OL, and it looks like the only thing available for me to get text input is to have an IControl use IGraphics::CreateTextEntry(). This works well, but doesn't provide any option for hidden/password style text.

I see that the Tale IPlug library(among others) supplies an IEditableTextControl class that supports these features. However that control relies on a specific IGraphics::PromptUserInput(IEditableTextControl*) overload for this functionality.

The implementations for Tale PromptUserInput() and WDL-OL CreateTextEntry() are nearly identical. So I added the following in the IGraphicsWin class:
Code:
void IGraphicsWin::CreateTextEntryStyle(IControl* pControl, IText* pText, IRECT* pTextRect, const char* pString, IParam* pParam, bool pIsSecure, bool pIsEditable)
{
	if (!pControl || mParamEditWnd) return;

DWORD editStyle;

switch ( pText->mAlign )
	{
		case IText::kAlignNear:   editStyle = ES_LEFT;   break;
		case IText::kAlignFar:    editStyle = ES_RIGHT;  break;
		case IText::kAlignCenter:
		default:                  editStyle = ES_CENTER; break;
	}
	// Biggest difference from orignal function
	if (!pIsEditable) editStyle |= ES_READONLY;
	if (pIsSecure)
		editStyle |= ES_PASSWORD;
	else
		editStyle |= ES_MULTILINE;

mParamEditWnd = CreateWindow("EDIT", pString, WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | editStyle ,
                               pTextRect->L, pTextRect->T, pTextRect->W()+1, pTextRect->H()-2,  // Original WDL-OL function use ->H()+1. Why? Just added whitespace to the bottom
                               mPlugWnd, (HMENU) PARAM_EDIT_ID, mHInstance, 0);

HFONT font = CreateFont(pText->mSize, 0, 0, 0, pText->mStyle == IText::kStyleBold ? FW_BOLD : 0, pText->mStyle == IText::kStyleItalic ? TRUE : 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, pText->mFont);

SendMessage(mParamEditWnd, WM_SETFONT, (WPARAM) font, 0);	
  SendMessage(mParamEditWnd, EM_SETSEL, 0, -1);
  Edit_LimitText(mParamEditWnd, pControl->GetTextEntryLength());		
  SetFocus(mParamEditWnd);

mDefEditProc = (WNDPROC) SetWindowLongPtr(mParamEditWnd, GWLP_WNDPROC, (LONG_PTR) ParamEditProc);	
  SetWindowLong(mParamEditWnd, GWLP_USERDATA, (LPARAM) this);
  //SetWindowLongPtr(mParamEditWnd, GWLP_USERDATA, 0xdeadf00b); //this was from the Tale repo. For key input???

//DeleteObject(font);

mEdControl = pControl;
  mEdParam = pParam; // could be 0
}
I added my own IEditableTextControl class that calls this function instead of PromptUserInfo() - and it works! I realize this is windows specific, and I will need to address the Mac side of it as well.

When using this new function I noticed that using password style text would give my input a box a white background, regardless of my controls mText.mTextEntryBGColor

To fix that I altered IGraphicsWin::WndProc():
Code:
    case WM_CTLCOLOREDIT:
    {

if(!pGraphics->mEdControl)
        return 0;

IText* pText = pGraphics->mEdControl->GetText();
      HDC dc = (HDC) wParam;
      SetBkColor(dc, RGB(pText->mTextEntryBGColor.R, pText->mTextEntryBGColor.G, pText->mTextEntryBGColor.B));
      SetTextColor(dc, RGB(pText->mTextEntryFGColor.R, pText->mTextEntryFGColor.G, pText->mTextEntryFGColor.B));
	  SetBkMode(dc, OPAQUE);
      //return (BOOL)GetStockObject(DC_BRUSH);

// Added this:
	  HBRUSH hBrush = CreateSolidBrush(RGB(pText->mTextEntryBGColor.R, pText->mTextEntryBGColor.G, pText->mTextEntryBGColor.B));
	  SelectObject((HDC)wParam, (HGDIOBJ)hBrush);
	  return (BOOL)hBrush;
    }
The difference is using CreateSolidBrush() instead of GetStockBrush(). This works well for ES_PASSWORD, but when using ES_READONLY, the background gets set to gray regardless. I don't know why.

I'm new to IPlug and I don't fully understand how everything in IGraphics might be interacting with these changes I made. So I'm wondering if this is the right/safe way to get these features.

Bonus Questions
-within WDL-OL CreateTextEntry(), the CreateWindow() call passes pTextRect->W+1 and pTextRect->H()+1. Whats the reason behind adding +1. H()+1 was adding white space to bottom of colored background area.

-Tale's PromptUserInput() uses the line
Code:
SetWindowLongPtr(mParamEditWnd, GWLP_USERDATA, 0xdeadf00b);
and WDL-OL uses the line
Code:
What's going on there?

Finally: Thank you.
doozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
Tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozle View Post
-Tale's PromptUserInput() uses the line
Code:
SetWindowLongPtr(mParamEditWnd, GWLP_USERDATA, 0xdeadf00b);
and WDL-OL uses the line
Code:
What's going on there?
It enables you to input keys that would normally be intercepted by REAPER, like e.g. the spacebar. Some more info:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ght=0xdeadf00b

However, if you want to use it you will also have to modify ParamEditProc(), because it expects GWLP_USERDATA to be a HWND, not 0xdeadf00b (see commit 4e453e2495 in my WDL repository).
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:24 PM   #3
doozle

Great info. 0xdeadf00b seems like a useful addition. Did you implement a parallel OSX friendly solution for this key stealing problem?

News: I mentioned earlier that I couldn't set the bg color for read-only text boxes(they default to gray). It turns out that read-only edit controls don't send the WM_CTLCOLOREDIT message. The solution is to simply handle WM_CTLCOLORSTATIC. This is as easy as inserting:
Code:
case WM_CTLCOLORSTATIC:
right above the WM_CTLCOLORSEDIT case in the switch statement to let it fall through. Huzzah! Colored box!

I'm eager to fiddle with the OSX implementation, but I don't have a mac to test with. Hmmm...

Does anybody else find this useful? Again, feedback from anyone who has a better understanding of IGraphics would be well received.

Last edited by doozle; 05-14-2014 at 01:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
Tale

Quote:
Great info. 0xdeadf00b seems like a useful addition. Did you implement a parallel OSX friendly solution for this key stealing problem?
No, but I don't think it is necessary on OSX.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #5
Tale

BTW, I think you should delete a brush created with CreateSolidBrush(). Creating a new brush each time a WM_CTLCOLORSEDIT is sent and never deleting any of them will probably cause memory to leak.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
doozle

Ah that's correct. I understand I must use DeleteObject(). But I don't know where this ought to be done. Should this be done when handling WM_DESTORY?

Last edited by doozle; 05-17-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:09 AM   #7
Tale

Quote:
Ah that's correct. I understand I must use DeleteObject(). But I don't know where this ought to be done. Should this be done when handling WM_DESTORY?
Yeah, or maybe in the IGraphicsWin destructor... And I guess you would have to create the brush only once, and then store it in a IGraphicsWin member variable.