Old 05-07-2019, 11:15 AM   #1
Random Noise
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI Errors & Options

This thread is for anyone who has questions or comments about MIDI Errors and Options.

The first problem is that when I'm not using the MIDI function on my keyboard, I disconnect the USB cable to reduce the EM noise from that line. But then I get the Error message:

The following MIDI inputs could not be opened:
Roland FP-2
The following MIDI outputs could not be opened:
Roland FP-2

This Error popup window opens even if there is no MIDI device assigned to a project. It would be nice to have the MIDI preferences assignable to each project rather than globally.

The workaround is to select the "Don't show this message again." box in the Error dialog.

The other problem is getting the MIDI keyboard to show up in the MIDI menu when using standard MIDI cables rather than USB. It seems to be a Windows 10 problem, but I'm not sure. The MIDI input is receiving the signal, but it's not making it through from there to Reaper. I have no solution to this other than to use a USB cable. To reduce noise while the USB cable is plugged in there are USB isolators and noise cancellers, but I haven't tried any of them yet. Prices vary widely for them. The best options seem to be on Amazon for under $100 each.

Last edited by Random Noise; 05-08-2019 at 12:30 AM.
Random Noise is offline   Reply With Quote