COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > WDL users forum

Old 12-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #1
mviljamaa
Human being with feelings

Default How to apply resample.h pitch shifting in real-time?

What parameter do I need to tweak in resample.h in order to get "changing playback rate" effect in real time, like in Reaper?
mviljamaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:15 PM   #2
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by mviljamaa View Post
What parameter do I need to tweak in resample.h in order to get "changing playback rate" effect like in Reaper?
What are you actually planning to do? You do of course realize that you can't do that kind of pitch changing without an existing buffer or file of audio, right? (So it can't really be strictly "real time".)

But if that's clear to you already, the void SetRates(double rate_in, double rate_out) method changes the rate.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:18 PM   #3
mviljamaa

I'm planning to replicate the Reaper "playback rate" slider.

So does SetRates(double rate_in, double rate_out) always take the original SR as the first param.? In which case I need to adjust the rate_out to get pitch shifting. Or does it take the SR to which audio was converted into the last time resampling was performed?
Old 12-01-2015, 02:26 PM   #4
Xenakios

Quote:
I'm planning to replicate the Reaper "playback rate" slider.

So does SetRates(double rate_in, double rate_out) always take the original SR as the first param.? In which case I need to adjust the rate_out to get pitch shifting. Or does it take the SR to which audio was converted into the last time resampling was performed?
Replicate the playback rate slider how and in which kind of context? (I just want to prevent you from trying to do something that isn't going to be possible in a typical VST/AU plugin context...)

For example rs->SetRates(44100.0, 88200.0); would make the resampler output audio that is an octave lower than the original if you play the result back at 44100.0 hz. So the input rate should typically stay the same and the output rate would be variable.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:27 PM   #5
mviljamaa

Like in a sampler where you have the pitch wheel. Which can be tweaked in real-time and e.g. the output can be recorded.

Yea, but after rs->SetRates(44100.0, 88200.0); then does the next call (the next time the pitch is adjusted) have to be rs->SetRates(88200.0, 32000.0); or rs->SetRates(44100.0, 32000.0);.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #6
Xenakios

Quote:
Yea, but after rs->SetRates(44100.0, 88200.0); then does the next call (the next time the pitch is adjusted) have to be rs->SetRates(88200.0, 32000.0); or rs->SetRates(44100.0, 32000.0);.
No. The input rate should stay the same.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:06 PM   #7
mviljamaa

So I'm wondering what's the buffering scheme like for pitch shifting using offline files?
To replicate the behaviour of Reaper's "playback rate".

How do I calculate the amount of samples resample.h will produce? For a given shift.