Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 04-19-2018, 08:24 AM   #1
deeb
Human being with feelings

Default advice! dev strategy for plugin to control hardware midi controller leds

Hi! I need some advice. I have a controller called faderfox dj4: http://faderfox.de/dj4.html

By default this controller is oriented to be working out of the box with traktor or ableton, but am using it in reaper, and it is great.

This controller, accepts CC messages to control the green Leds in the panel. So if i send CC 64 to midi in of controller the led is lighted, if i send again the led is turned off. Something like this.

I would like to do a plugin (JS, EEL, c++ / Juce, i don't know) that could control this lights in a way that makes sense. Imagine the light tell's me slot 1 plugin is bypassed or Not.

I am not into C++, but i want to dive in, but this seems not to be best case to go! (too much work/complexity/lack of examples, maybe compared with other ways, and having juce shoudn't be needed)
In reaper world i have done just lua stuff, almost nothing else. So i am blind!

I have been thinking, altho i don't know very well , difference betweeb JS and EEL.
That this should be probably the best way to go.
I want to have access to midi messages and reaper api . I thought that probably i'll have a good reference of code if i get per example a midi delay in js or EEL and do the code i want based on this. Midi can be a deep/ complex world is my idea : ) and i want to avoid spending many many hours on this ! i prefer spending more programming time on other stuff.

Someone with more experience! any advice or examples/code that might easy things up for me?
JS is the way to go? EEL (?)
Am i thinking right?

Thanks a lot! Cheers!
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:37 AM   #2
Xenakios

Full, no nonsense control surface support requires doing a C++ extension plugin.

I am sure other people will know of various ways to hack together something with ReaScript and/or JesuSonic. (But I wouldn't want to go that route myself.)
Old 04-19-2018, 08:55 AM   #3
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
Full, no nonsense control surface support requires doing a C++ extension plugin.
In order to use the controller, i don't need to do anything! it's like any other controller: midi learn and use, but in order for me to control how the led lights behave i don't have other option. It seems pretty normal, as usually controllers leds behaviour tends to be stricted/ fixed to certain software.

I was thinking something like:

1st left knob: Fx 1 (Hp Filter Freq)
2nd left knob: Fx 2 - Delay feedback
(..)
led on right side of 1st knob: show if FX1 (Filter) is enabled or not
led on right side of 2nd knob: show if FX2 (Delay) is enabled or not

(and so on)

It's a simple design, but developing a plugin for this, if sounds dirty for you! it echos a LOT more dirty for me : )

edit: i don't have the idea of seeing anything related in reaper with controller maps! maybe i am missing something. /me searches

Last edited by deeb; 04-19-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:17 PM   #4
azslow3

Feedback is always questionable area... something which looks like "simple" sometimes is not so simple. There is a reason you pay significant amount of money for software part of controller.

There are many C++ examples. You can go OSCII-bot way. Or https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143
Or wait another half an year, may be a bit more. There will be other approach.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:54 PM   #5
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
Feedback is always questionable area...
yep! here tends to work tho : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
There are many C++ examples. You can go OSCII-bot way. Or https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143
Or wait another half an year, may be a bit more. There will be other approach.
thanks for the info and links! ; )
Old 04-19-2018, 09:59 PM   #6
mschnell

-> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143 seems very promising....
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:13 AM   #7
deeb

thank you mschnell ! it has been posted! it is interesting indeed